Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons > Disney Cosplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-17-2010, 12:05 AM   #1
Musicalpencil
great now I'M the bad guy

Maleficent's robe

I’m trying to take on Maleficent and I’m not sure how to piece her outfit together. The main thing that's preventing me from starting, besides intimidation, is her “sleeves” or whatever you want to call it since they aren’t actual sleeves. (Attachment is below).

Now like with most artwork, the design doesn’t stay consistent. Her robe from the back hangs and flows like a cape. On the front her sleeves seem to just fall over her arms, almost like a poncho, but then it becomes part of her dress. And later it seems to look more sleeve-like, like here, making me more confused how to do this. I want to try to be as accurate as possible.

Also the front of her robe seems to have slits or something to show her fuschia dress. I was originally planning to just slit the black robe and sew in the fuschia. Or would it be better to just use a real skirt?

The only thing I can think of doing for the sleeves is taking the sleeves of McCalls 3448 and add it to the robe “body” of McCalls 5957. Would this work or is there a better way? Better base patterns? And how can I go about the alteration to form her "sleeves" and the front part of her robe?

A lot of questions I know, but this is my first big costume and I'm determined to make it. And FYI, I’ve already asked the Disney thread more than once about this, and haven’t gotten a lot of questions answered.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sleepingBeauty_wp_06_1024.jpg (199.7 KB, 0 views)

Murphy's Law of Cosplay:
"If she thinks for half a minute this is gonna be a stroll,
she can kiss my you-know-what 'cos you-know-who is in control!”

Last edited by Musicalpencil : 01-17-2010 at 12:15 AM.
Musicalpencil is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-17-2010, 02:27 AM   #2
Tigress
Bitch-Kitty on Wheels

LulDisney.

I would suggest poking around on eBay. I think that Simplicity or McCall put out a Malificent costume pattern a few years ago. When I look for out-of-print patterns, eBay is a gold mine!

Failing that, it looks like you are on the right track. You probably just need the robe pattern, TBH.

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2010, 01:31 AM   #3
Musicalpencil
great now I'M the bad guy

Well at least know I'm not completely lost.

I did what you said and searched for the Maleficent pattern and found the cheapest at $45. I know it's because it's out-of-print and over 20 years old, but ...yoy. I'm sure it would probably save multiple headaches but at the moment I really can't afford it, and bottles of aspirin are much cheaper.

That being said, you are right Tigress. I don't want to start until I figure out how to create the pattern. Question is, what's the best pattern(s) to use and the best way to turn it into her robe?

Murphy's Law of Cosplay:
"If she thinks for half a minute this is gonna be a stroll,
she can kiss my you-know-what 'cos you-know-who is in control!”
Musicalpencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2010, 09:44 AM   #4
alterationsbyem

Musical,
When I made Maleficent I opened up the fabric to the entire width and doubled it over. I also layed the lining color opened up and doubled over on my floor. I used around 3-4' for each side of the arm. I then chalked out the shape of the sleeve, http://images.absoluteanime.com/revi...maleficent.jpg Remembering that I was making one piece that would drape over the arm. I carefully cut it out and then sewed it together. I whipped stitched it to the shoulder of the robe and then put a tack on the other side so it wouldn't move too much around and stay at her wrist.

I hope I made sense
em
Unread 01-24-2010, 07:32 PM   #5
Tigress
Bitch-Kitty on Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicalpencil View Post
Well at least know I'm not completely lost.

I did what you said and searched for the Maleficent pattern and found the cheapest at $45. I know it's because it's out-of-print and over 20 years old, but ...yoy. I'm sure it would probably save multiple headaches but at the moment I really can't afford it, and bottles of aspirin are much cheaper.

That being said, you are right Tigress. I don't want to start until I figure out how to create the pattern. Question is, what's the best pattern(s) to use and the best way to turn it into her robe?
The McCall 5957, just with out the hood, looks like it would be your best starting point.

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #6
stvnixrcks

I actually just bought the McCalls 5957 pattern. I think it would work rather well. All we have to do is make the flame shapes on the edges of the sleeves. What if we made the lining a tad longer than the outter fabric, too? That would look great! We can sew purple bias tape to either side of the front opening as well and maybe even add a purple zipper for easy on/off. What do you think?
stvnixrcks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 03:00 PM   #7
stvnixrcks

PS: As far as the fuschia goes, we could just add a godet into the side seams to show some of the pink!!
stvnixrcks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 09:17 PM   #8
kiggi

http://www.etsy.com/listing/81577301...ttern-ff-uncut
kiggi is offline   Reply With Quote