Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Gurren Lagann

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-19-2010, 02:27 PM   #1
Maneki_Neko14
バナナ

Yoko Rifle! help please?

hey there!!
I'm working on a rifle used by Yoko Littner/Ritona in Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (but I be 99.9% of everyone already knew that x3)
reference:
http://zanarah.deviantart.com/art/Yo...T-G-L-92975088

anyways I've started out and everythings going great
this is the tutorial I'm using:
http://xmichiko-chanx.livejournal.com/770.html#cutid1
but I'm kinda eyeballing it to make the boxes applied to the PVC pipe a bit more sizeable to the reference picture

though because the tutorial calls for the boxes to be made of cardboard, it'll be all lumpy and the duct tape will show through easily ;__;
For the boxes the person who made the tutorial tried posterboard over the cardboard but the spraypaint didn't stick, do you think regular paper would work better? opinions??

I'd really like some basic help with this, just to kind of make it look a bit more realistic and stay easy enough for me to actually do (and not anger my mother by going all around town for some expensive supplies DX)
Planned: Legolas Greenleaf|Aragorn|Claude Faustus|JBF Boy|Shizuo Heiwajima

Finished|WIP|Not Started

plans will probably change C:
Current Fandom = Lord of the Rings

Stalk Me?
dA|FB|Cure|YT|Twitt.
Maneki_Neko14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-19-2010, 03:13 PM   #2
A19Riku

Spray paint should stick to poster board. I have never had problems with it sticking regardless of how rough or smooth the posterboard is. If this is the method you would most like to do I would suggest just buying some cheap poster board and testing it with spraypaint first.

I would not recommend using regular paper though because it will wrinkel when it gets wet and probably look far worse than the duct tape you are trying to cover.

I am going to go ahead and throw this idea out there for you though if you are very worried about the look of the tape and cardboard I would just suggest using other materials. When I made that gun I cut the pieces out of foamboard instead of cardboard since it is smooth and doesn't have the texture you get with coregated cardboard. Then rather than use duct tape I used hot glue to attach the boxes together and then onto the gun. by using glue you can place the glue in the seams rather than have tape on the surface so you don't have to worry about it showing. Then in the back to smooth the last box in relation to the pipe I took a piece of craft foam and stretched it from one side to the other so that way its still a box shape at the bottom but it has then nice curve over the top of the pipe like yoko's does.

Also sine it seems you want to spray paint this the spray will work on these materials but you must first seal them with some sort of primer, gesso, mod podge, ect. this is because the craft foam will suck up paint like crazy and not have a nice sheen unless sealed. While the foamboard can actually melt if its not sealed bc of a chemical reaction it has to spray paint. but as long as you seal it it works fine and you won't have to worry about any duct tape or cardboard.

Conventions 2010: Con Nooga, MTAC, Dragoncon?, AWA
A19Riku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 03:19 PM   #3
Maneki_Neko14
バナナ

Quote:
Originally Posted by A19Riku View Post
Spray paint should stick to poster board. I have never had problems with it sticking regardless of how rough or smooth the posterboard is. If this is the method you would most like to do I would suggest just buying some cheap poster board and testing it with spraypaint first.

I would not recommend using regular paper though because it will wrinkel when it gets wet and probably look far worse than the duct tape you are trying to cover.

I am going to go ahead and throw this idea out there for you though if you are very worried about the look of the tape and cardboard I would just suggest using other materials. When I made that gun I cut the pieces out of foamboard instead of cardboard since it is smooth and doesn't have the texture you get with coregated cardboard. Then rather than use duct tape I used hot glue to attach the boxes together and then onto the gun. by using glue you can place the glue in the seams rather than have tape on the surface so you don't have to worry about it showing. Then in the back to smooth the last box in relation to the pipe I took a piece of craft foam and stretched it from one side to the other so that way its still a box shape at the bottom but it has then nice curve over the top of the pipe like yoko's does.

Also sine it seems you want to spray paint this the spray will work on these materials but you must first seal them with some sort of primer, gesso, mod podge, ect. this is because the craft foam will suck up paint like crazy and not have a nice sheen unless sealed. While the foamboard can actually melt if its not sealed bc of a chemical reaction it has to spray paint. but as long as you seal it it works fine and you won't have to worry about any duct tape or cardboard.
thanks for the help!! 8D
I'd probably try with foamboard if I didn't already have all my materials ^^''' my mom is mad at me for dragging her around yesterday to find materials so I cant ask her to do it again ;__;
though I test out a sheet of posterboard first, I think I was going to hot glue the boxes together anyways, but the duct tape would be to attach the boxes to the PVC
anyways I'll work on it X3
Planned: Legolas Greenleaf|Aragorn|Claude Faustus|JBF Boy|Shizuo Heiwajima

Finished|WIP|Not Started

plans will probably change C:
Current Fandom = Lord of the Rings

Stalk Me?
dA|FB|Cure|YT|Twitt.
Maneki_Neko14 is offline   Reply With Quote