Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Costume Critique

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-31-2010, 12:27 AM   #1
Miss_Wraith
O_o

Hunter (L4D) WIP

I'm throwing together a Hunter costume for Anime North this year and I'm looking for some crits on my makeup. I don't have the actual outfit ready yet, but I have my claws finished, and my first makeup test (minus the blood) finished. Tell me what you think.

Ref:
Hunter
Face

Claws: I'm actually really happy with how these turned out. They're only taped on for the pictures. They will be glued on for the con.
Nails1
Nails2
Nails3

And makeup. I'm a little less pleased with how this turned out. It looks far better in person than on camera. I'm just not sure that it's dark enough. I also think i need to pale out my face more before applying the grey. I can still see pink showing through on my cheeks. On the other hand it might look better once I have the blood on too. I have an ear out in the second picture so you can see the difference in skin tone.
Hunter Makeup 1
Hunter Makeup 2

Opinions please.

So, here's some new pics. I've got the outfit almost complete. It just needs the dirt and the blood, and I took everyones advice and really made the makeup stand out more, especially the black around the mouth. So, here you are:

Face

Face with hood up

outfit

Last edited by Miss_Wraith : 05-13-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Miss_Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-07-2010, 01:01 AM   #2
Kanti Kane
Kanti

I love your makeup job! I don't think it's too underdone either (:
Usually people overdo it and make it WAYY too pale, but you have a very subtle amount of makeup on that makes you noticeably pale yet not crazy ghost white. I really like how you did the lips too, it's a nice touch!
As for your nails, I think they're really cool but it may be a bit hard to do things with them on like eat or use the bathroom. I'm just being realistic!! Lol.
Overall, great work! You should be an awesome hunter (:
Kanti Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2010, 05:17 PM   #3
Aloe

Looks good. Im likeing the claws! Though It is missing one major detail. BLOOD. Whats a hunter without a little blood.
Unread 02-22-2010, 01:38 PM   #4
Miss_Wraith
O_o

The blood's coming, have no fear. I simply haven't got to either buying/making it yet. The blood and the pants are the last pieces I need to get, so I should have complete pictures to post soonish.
Unread 03-15-2010, 10:05 PM   #5
warui-shoujo
Star Wars Enthusiast

For blood on your sweat shirt, I would use something totally different than the blood on your skin/face. I would mix it up with different shades of red acrylic paint. And make sure you "soil" the shirt perhaps with a few light sprays from a spray can... you want to do it far away and let the mist sort of fall on the sweat shirt... but since I cannot see what condition its in since you didn't post em... lol

As for the nails they work great... but the make up could use a bit mroe attention to detail in my opinion. I would make sure you made darker rings under your eyes, and sort of shade your face a bit like your cheek bones and such.
warui-shoujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2010, 03:10 AM   #6
dukeoffl
The Duke Of FL

The one thing I can recommend for a hunter cosplay is to be filthy. Hunters are grimy, slimy, and understandably un-hygienic. Remember, they pounce from victim to victim ripping them to shreds, and their clothes are bound to get dirty. I've seen countless hunter costumes look bad simply because they were wearing clean hoodies. Be generous with the blood, and if you really want to go the extra mile, roll around in the dirt; at least throw some loose dirt and mud on the hoodie and give it a stretch or tear.

The best hunter cosplays I've seen are the people who realize that hunters are vile and disgusting. From your pictures, you've got the makeup and claws pretty much perfect. Don't skimp on the grime, and you could have the best Hunter costume yet.
  3. Snake Plissken and Big Boss are the same person
dukeoffl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2010, 10:48 PM   #7
Arsenic-S
OM NOM NOM NOM. D<

I really think you could use to contour a bit more on your makeup. Make the lines around your mouth, the "concave" bit around your eyes and the ring beneath them DARK (The darker it is around the eyes, the more your hood will effectively "shadow" your upper face. Add shading to both sides of your nose and extra grime around the corners of your mouth (Not only blood, but GRIME.) You don't want to go overboard with white by ANY means, as the Hunters are dark and grimy and gray. Just don't forget to blend - you don't want sharp lines either.

If you're wanting to cosplay a full on, canon, male Hunter - Add some stubble by using a sponge to stiple on some Ben Nye makeup along your jaw/the beardy bits.

_________

CONVENTIONS 2010
A-KON // June 4-6, Dallas || AFW6 // June 9-11, Wichita, KS || ANIME OVERLOAD // Aug 6-8, Austin || ANIMEFEST // Sept 3-6, Dallas || REALMS CON // Oct 1-3, Corpus Christi
Arsenic-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2010, 08:00 PM   #8
Seiten Taisei
Mama Witch

There is one missing fact that I have seen with most hunters. The hunter has scruff. With your make-up use a rough sponge and lightly dab dark brown/very little black to give you scruff on you upper lip and chin. If you look closer at the picture you can see the scruffy areas.

Other then that you did an amazing job on the make up

~{Seiten Taisei's Deviant Art}~
~{Founder of SoS Cosplay/SoS Outfitters}~
~{Owner and Queen of Thieves of Steam Paradigm}~
~Future Cosplay~

Banshee Queen of the Forsaken, The Dark Lady Sylvanas Windrunner- 20% Done
Not the Action Figure Version.
The Lich King, Arthas Menethil, Crown Prince of Lordaeron,- 10% Done
For my husband.

Seiten Taisei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 01:17 PM   #9
Miss_Wraith
O_o

Thanks for all the advice. I`ll definitely use more grim and darker colours on my next practice run. I`ll mix up some blood for next time too.

I do have to pick up a new sweatshirt however, as the one I had turned out to be too large in the arms.
Unread 05-13-2010, 04:26 PM   #10
Miss_Wraith
O_o

So, I have some more progress pics up on the end of the first post. Almost finished.
Unread 05-18-2010, 09:57 PM   #11
Seiten Taisei
Mama Witch

Beautiful! The make up turned out great.
Other then the fact your still working on it, I suggest taking out the draw string. Kind of distracting lol.

~{Seiten Taisei's Deviant Art}~
~{Founder of SoS Cosplay/SoS Outfitters}~
~{Owner and Queen of Thieves of Steam Paradigm}~
~Future Cosplay~

Banshee Queen of the Forsaken, The Dark Lady Sylvanas Windrunner- 20% Done
Not the Action Figure Version.
The Lich King, Arthas Menethil, Crown Prince of Lordaeron,- 10% Done
For my husband.

Seiten Taisei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2010, 10:08 PM   #12
Miss_Wraith
O_o

Ah, yeah lol I totally forgot about the draw string. And I'm glad you like the makeup. I was a bit worried I went too heavy on the black. Also, ignore the obviously white teeth and snerdy expression in the last pic. I still need some blood to colour my mouth and my friend took the picture while I was talking XD