Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Unread 11-01-2016, 12:14 AM   #1
SayaMitarashi
Mitarashi_Cosplay

Talking Spirited away

Working on making the cosplays for a Spirited away group with my siblings: Dragon Haku, Chihiro, No Face & Soot Sprite and these are what I need help with:

I'm looking for a way to make the structure for a soot sprite that a human could fit inside. Ideally it would be a 2 half sphere with buckles or something on the inside for closures. I have it all figured out except for that part and can't move forward without it.

On another note I'm also doing Dragon Haku and am looking for an ideal way to have the tail be detachable and animatronic, but not sure what to stuff it with if I go that route.

Thank you ahead of time for any advice!

Unread 11-01-2016, 02:53 PM   #2
Scunosi

I'd look up the Commander Holly/Evil Ted tutorial for doing a large foam mascot; I'm at work or I'd find it myself, it's on Youtube. Should be exactly what you need, and since you just need a basic sphere it'll be even easier. Arms and legs could even stick out while wearing a black bodysuite since the sprites (sometimes) have those which is nice, nothing like those mascot costumes (like Kirby) that are physically impossible and involve huddling the whole con.

Upcoming Conventions
Sakuracon 2017
Possibly: NewCon

Latest cosplay
Lunara (HotS)
Scunosi is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2016, 06:09 PM   #3
SayaMitarashi
Mitarashi_Cosplay

that might actually work for the soot sprite thank you so much!
Unread Today, 06:08 PM   #4
Scunosi

Regarding Haku, I take it you're going for more of a humanized or gijinka version of his dragon form? If so you should find plenty of helpful tutorials on fursuiting sites. Making a detachable tail to be worn on a belt is relatively simple, though making it articulated is a little more work and then fully animatronic even more so. It's been done though so you should be able to find some resources. I would think though that you would want to lean against actually stuffing a tail with animatronics in it, for both fire hazard and weight reasons. Arduino has a basic tail tutorial I found here.

Upcoming Conventions
Sakuracon 2017
Possibly: NewCon

Latest cosplay
Lunara (HotS)
Scunosi is online now   Reply With Quote