Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Unread 08-05-2014, 01:19 AM   #1
ShadowReiku

SKYRIM - Blade of Woe Tutorial

Hi. This is my first tutorial, but I've found quite a lacking in Dark Brotherhood anything, so here we go. This is my Blade of Woe I made for my Dark Brotherhood cosplay and how I did it.

MATERIALS NEEDED
Model Magic (or some substitute)
Paint (Grey, Red and Blue, or Purple, Black)
Leather strips
Leather shears
Hot glue or other strong adhesive
Painting supplies
Clay knives (optional)
Glue stick
Red glitter
Mod podge

I was able to get all of these cheaply at Michael's Crafts.

First off you need something that will be the entire piece itself. I used Model Magic, which anyone who has ever had a middle school project has probably used. It's very lightweight and surprisingly durable. My cat leaped on top of the completed Blade and I watched it bend under his weight, and when I pulled him off it was fine and not misshapen at all.

IMG

I bought two bags, but I discovered that one is more than enough for a Blade of Woe. I ended up using the other bag to make a Daedric dagger, the tutorial for which will be linked at the bottom.

Looking at it being wielded in the game, it's just shy of the PC's forearm length. So I rolled out the block of clay and put it against my own arm as reference.

IMG

Shape the hilt, being sure to leave room to grip it. Flatten out the part that will be the blade.

IMG

Using a clay knife, trace the outline of the blade.

IMG

Then use a clay knife to cut off the excess. It doesn't have to be neat - you'll be cutting it again later.

IMG

This one is the one that needs to be neat. After cutting, the edges will be flat and have some volume. Anyone who's ever seen a knife knows that the edges are thin and sharp (fortunately, Model Magic will be dull enough to not fool anyone at con security that it could in fact be an actual threatening potential weapon). You'll need to flatten the edges out and cut them again. I also took this opportunity to trace the blood channel.

IMG

After this side is done, you're gonna need to flip it over. This is important. Model Magic has a nasty little habit of adhering to newspaper and magazines. At this stage it is also very fragile and will bend and tear. I used a clay knife and very painstakingly flipped it over and inch at a time. It will also look like this, so be ready to try to make the other look good without messing up your nice side.

IMG

If you do it right, however, it should look something like this.

IMG

Model Magic does take a LONG time to dry, I would wait four days minimum. I waited over a week, just to be safe, making sure to flip it every couple of days. But when you are confident it's not going to get any dryer, it is time to paint.

Trace down the blood channel that you made when shaping it, but don't make that little hook on the end. That was my imagination.

IMG

Paint the blade metallic grey, making sure to fix the fictional hook you made by following my instructions.

IMG

The rest of the Blade of Woe is this odd dark greyish purple so you may have to play around a lot if you're like me and didn't buy a suitable color. The final color, however, should look pretty close to this.

IMG

Finish up the rest of the spine and hilt, and when it's dry, time to paint the cool patterns on in black.

IMG

And this is what it looks like dry and not shiny.

IMG

The penultimate step is adding the leather strips that make up the hilt. Get a sheet of leather, some hot glue (or your other adhesive of choice), and some shears to cut the strips off.

IMG

Cut off strips in the correct width for the hilt of your Blade of Woe.

IMG

Wrap the strips around the hilt to determine where you would need to cut it. This can be done before or after the gluing.

IMG

Hot glue the back of the leather and wrap it around quickly and carefully. If you have a gun that heats up to higher than 110*C, touching the glue alone can leave some nasty burns. My own gun heats to 110*C and it's never burned me, but apparently this isn't true to all my friends. Regardless, be especially careful of the metal tip. PSA aside, you may need to pick up the edges of the leather strips and add a few more dollops of glue to make sure they hold down tight.

IMG

IMG

IMG

The near completed Blade with all the strips on it. I wasn't very careful with the first one. The other two have the seam hidden on the inside of the handle. It shouldn't be too much of a bother though, as the seam is hidden when I hold it and that will be the side facing me when it's sheathed.

IMG

Now for the final step. The Blade of Woe is enchanted and has glowing red lines that go through it. Personally I thought the effect would be best duplicated with glitter. I opened a screenshot of the Blade in my inventory and traced the lines with a glue stick, then using my finger to dab the glitter on to reduce mess and keep the lines concise and not completely douse my Blade in glitter. Being that it is glitter, however, it quickly got literally everywhere anyway.

IMG

And there we go! All it needs now is a little Mod Podge to keep the glitter in place so it doesn't get all over everything!

Daedric Dagger: No link yet
Shrouded Armor: No link yet
ShadowReiku is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-17-2014, 04:26 AM   #2
Hawkadium

Very nice blade.
Unread 08-24-2014, 08:31 AM   #3
Lustyyxo

I preffered the original Blade of Woe with gold on tbh

In Progress cosplays: Heartseeker Ashe (LoL) - Pattern Made. Harley Quinn (Burlesque) - 20%

I take cosplay commissions :3
Lustyyxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2014, 08:28 PM   #4
EvilLittleKiss
Profound Historical Youth

Very nice tutorial and blade! I should try this!

Currently working on:
Momoko Koigakubo -- Ghost Stories (Dub)
Scarlett O'Hara Drapery Dress -- Gone With the Wind
Deandra -- MPGiS
Anna Cornonation Dress -- Frozen
Vader Eloha/The Queen -- OFF
Princess Suwa -- Mascot of the city of Suwa, Japan

My favorite cosplays:
Brittnay Matthews -- MPGiS
Mom Lalonde -- Homestuck
Princess Kenny -- South Park

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/annikaskisses