Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Unread 05-04-2015, 04:11 PM   #1
division-ten
Yes, I AM an Albino

See Through Mascot Eyes?

I'm trying to fnd a decent tutorial for see-through mascot eyes. I want plastic that can be seen out of, but not into very easily (think one-way mirrors, which work by a film on the side of a pane of glass coupled with lighting differentials) As the inside of the costume will be darker than the outside, this could definitely work in theory. IN tactics, I don't know how to get the eye image and the right film.

I really don't want to do a mesh eye. That's how Rocket is, but the fur hides it well, pus it's dark. Ratchet has big, white eyes and the effect looks bad. I tried.

Some Spiderman suits have the one-way eyes I'm describing, but I can't find the tutorial anywhere. Can someone point me in the right direction?
Otakon: '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14
Zenkaicon: '09
Katsucon: '10, '15
Animenext: '10, '11, '14
division-ten is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-04-2015, 05:09 PM   #2
Dreamerwolf

I've seen plastic domes be used, also clear vinyl. You can draw/print out the eye image, cutting out the black part or the eye, which is where you would see from, and use black chiffon or another suitable see-through fabric. However, lots of suits have white eyes..you can make these not all out of mesh but by cutting out the eye shape out of a plastic bowl (That's the white) and using mesh only for the iris/pupil. (These are mine, using the white plastic method: http://www.furaffinity.net/view/16127895/ http://www.furaffinity.net/view/14290989/) A sample of dome eyes, (Not mine) http://www.furaffinity.net/view/10470781/

A third option could be large resin eyes, where vision is out of the tear ducts, and not the eye at all. Ratchet seems to have a more toony looking eye though, and to me, these types of eyes are more suited for realistic style.

Hope that maybe helps!
-Doctor Who: Femme 11/Femme 4
-'Furry' Tardis, as a cat
-Sarah Jane Smith (SJA)
The Walking Dead - Maggie

Working on:

-Lion-O (Female variant)
Dreamerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2015, 07:31 AM   #3
EdenAnarchy

Look up tutorials for the dead mouse heads. I know a lot of people use the mesh in them, but there's bound to be someone that doesn't...

One other idea I just thought of is this- have you tried the lenses from those oversized raver goggles? They're *somewhat* see through, but I bet you can find a cheep pair in the right color, then pop out the lenses and use those...

Momocon (Saturday only)
AWA (Friday-Sunday)

Korra (book 4 green)- Completed (worn at Momocon)
Sakura (Tsubasa Chronicle) -%75
Korra (book 4 blue) -%30
River Song (Doctor Who- impossible Astronaut) -%25
Yuuko Ichihara (XXXHOLiC box set cover art) --%25
EdenAnarchy is offline   Reply With Quote