Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Unread 06-28-2016, 10:56 AM   #1
Arilyde

Painting shoes

For an upcoming cosplay I need blue shoes. I searched and searched, until I found the perfect color-
And then the seller sent me the wrong one or whatever happened, it's different.

They are both blue, so I could use them if I cannot paint them, and yet it's not quite what I was going for.

I would like to dye the shoes the darker shade of blue you can see on the screen in the image, preferably while retaining the glossyness.

What paint do I use? Glossy spray paint sounds pretty, but also seems like it might crack and fall off. (The shoes are pretty stiff for the most part, but still). Shoe polish seems as if it would just stay waxy and wipe off. Shiny latex for stretchyness, maybe..? But that's hard to neatly paint the shoes with, I'd think.

I'm sure you all know much better than I, and I could really use your advice! Thanks in advance.
Arilyde is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-28-2016, 01:19 PM   #2
Rinner

Have you tried talking to the seller first? It looks like they sent you the third shoe in the row instead of the second. If you have time it would be worth it to get the proper shoes.
Unread 06-28-2016, 02:43 PM   #3
Arilyde

I could return them, but to send them back would cost me almost as much as the shoes themselves! (International shipping.) So if they can't be darkened, I'll have to talk to the sellers about the cost. My boyfriend has offered to do it for me, maybe that would be best. I'm way too timid for that!

Which is why I wanted to darken them in the first place. Thanks for the advice, though. I'll look into it some more, as you're probably right.
Arilyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2016, 11:29 PM   #4
micro-babe
Five Feet of POWAH!

I'm not sure how to get the patent look on your own but lots of people, including people who do custom sneakers, trust Angelus leather paints. Make sure you wipe the shoes down with acetone first so the paint will stick. If you don't want to order online, you can check your local craft store if they have any sort of leather paint (I know JoAnn's has one), and if you can't find that, maybe opt for floral spray paint.

I'd definitely check with the seller first though. It was their mistake so hopefully you can come up with a deal.

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
micro-babe is offline   Reply With Quote