Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Unread 03-13-2015, 01:04 PM   #1
rosey505

Piercing cover ups

Quick question guys. I have snake bite piercings and plan on getting dermals on my neck. What is a good way to cover these to stay true to a character? Any character, nothing in particular. I asked my roommate who has been into cosplay for longer than me. He didn't have any ideas. He said people usually cosplay with the piercings. That's not what I'm going for. If I take out the jewelry, I know I will lose them and the holes will close. I was thinking maybe liquid latex. Any tips?
rosey505 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-13-2015, 02:08 PM   #2
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Clear or fleshtoned retainers are a popular option. I'm not sure if they make them for that type of piercing specifically, but check a shop that sells a decent amount of body jewellery or search online.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2015, 01:24 PM   #3
rosey505

I work with jewelry daily. I know about retainers. Sorry I didn't address them in the original post. Retainers are ,unfortunately, still noticeable. I was more looking for a way to cover them without having to take them out or put in retainers, so it looks like I don't have any piercings at all. I plan on getting more ,and as i said, retainers are noticeable even if they are clear or flesh colored.
rosey505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2015, 04:20 PM   #4
spookehdoom
Batz. Batz O'Hell.

Unless your dermal anchors will be flat tops, there's not much you can do. People have dabbed concealer over their piercings to hide them but obviously, it's still visible. Latex might Be uncomfortable for the piercing itself and it would likely still be a visible lump on the skin.

Alternative dyes (Manic Panic, Special Effects) are vegetable dyes and stain. They are not water-based. Don't want to see your hair stained later on? Don't do it.
spookehdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2015, 12:36 PM   #5
Rinner

Covering clear retainers might get you close but it would still be noticeable. I saw someone flip the stud so the flat part was on the outside and then used concealer over it. I don't know anything about dermal piercings but it might be worth reading this to see if there's anything useful for you.
Unread 03-16-2015, 12:50 PM   #6
Akiyhrah
She-Geek extraordinaire

In my experience, the only thing that has been remotely successful is retainers, and even then the are noticeable. Retainers make it easier to edit jewelry out of a photo later on, but it doesn't hide the jewelry completely. Like Spookehdoom said, covering it with anything still leaves a visible lump and makes it look like you have a weird pimple or something, and makeup just rubs right off.

Honestly, these days I don't even bother hiding my piercings because I didn't get them just to hide them, and I have never once gotten a negative comment about them. However if you are set on not having them visible, then I really do think retainers are probably your best bet. Definitely experiment and see what works best for you, but that is the only thing that has worked for me in the past.

[C|O|S|P|L|A|Y]
My anti-drug.
Akiyhrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2015, 06:04 PM   #7
Morning Star
The Shining One

Yep, pretty sure they're going to be noticeable no matter what. The only thing I can think of to cover them entirely is to use the liquid latex and tissue method, which could possibly work for the dermals, but I don't think it would work as well for snakebites, since they're close to your mouth, a part of the face that moves pretty constantly. It may be uncomfortable as well, and you'd have the area below your lower lip built up oddly since it would take several layers to cover them completely. Additionally, I'm not sure how this would affect the piercings themselves, since liquid latex may get into the hole and would then be there for several hours, or until you removed it, and I never like the idea of foreign substances hanging out in orifices, natural or created.

Honestly, I'd go with clear retainers if you're determined to make them less noticeable. People will still see them up close, but I highly doubt anyone is going to give you any trouble about them. Personally, I don't think piercings and tattoos detract from a cosplay, and I've never thought less of a cosplayer for having them visible if their costume is still well-done.
Morning Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2015, 10:31 PM   #8
Milky Bubbles
(◍•ᴗ•◍)

Like everyone else has said, retainers are basically the only thing you can do to try and hide your piercings.
I have retainers for my snakebites for work and while I would take them out for a convention, I don't want to take the chance of them closing up even a little bit over the span of me being at the convention.

I've considered covering the retainers with makeup and things but since they are constantly near my mouth and saliva is constantly rubbing along the shafts, it would just end up coming off regardless(or whatever I put on the retainers would irritate me) and they're already invisible so...

Honestly, no one should really be that close to your face to even notice that you have retainers in and again, as mentioned, they are super easy to edit out of a photo.

*Strawberry Shortcake - Sakizou (In progress! SO EXCITED!)
*Human!Charlotte the Witch - Puella Magi Madoka Magica - Making props!

Future Costume(s):
*Fawn!stuck Jade Harley - Homestuck, self-made design (Stored for future use)
*Rococo Princess - Sakizou

Completed Costumes:

Conventions I Attend/Will Be Attending:
*Animazement 2015

Milky Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2015, 09:43 AM   #9
ListenToLindsay

i dont think i've ever encountered a single person at a convention that has made a comment about my piercings or tattoo's, they're always widely accepted! conventions are a place where everybody is accepted - and you can cosplay a character regardless of sex, ethnicity or size
The thing is, I think you notice the piercings more than anyone else - if you can see the retainers, it doesnt mean everybody else will notice them. afterall, you know where to look because you know they're there!!!
personally, i'd rock the piercings the way they are, maybe go for daintier jewelry in them, but I'd wear them anyways. they're a part of who you are
plus, i think trying to cover them with something might just make them stand out more!
ListenToLindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2015, 11:06 AM   #10
Akiyhrah
She-Geek extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ListenToLindsay View Post
i dont think i've ever encountered a single person at a convention that has made a comment about my piercings or tattoo's, they're always widely accepted! conventions are a place where everybody is accepted - and you can cosplay a character regardless of sex, ethnicity or size
The thing is, I think you notice the piercings more than anyone else - if you can see the retainers, it doesnt mean everybody else will notice them. afterall, you know where to look because you know they're there!!!
personally, i'd rock the piercings the way they are, maybe go for daintier jewelry in them, but I'd wear them anyways. they're a part of who you are
plus, i think trying to cover them with something might just make them stand out more!
The only comments I get about my piercings and tattoos are compliments xD

[C|O|S|P|L|A|Y]
My anti-drug.
Akiyhrah is offline   Reply With Quote