Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Unread 02-22-2016, 12:33 AM   #1
Question Eva Foam Filigree Painting?

I made a mask and filigree to put over the mask both the mask and the filigree are Eva Foam. I was wondering since the Eva foam filigree still needs to be heat treated to retain it's shape if I should paint the mask and filigree first and then glue the filigree and mask together or if I should just glue them together and then paint them? Also, will masking/painters tape pull paint off eva foam or is there another recommended tape to use to help me get clean lines while painting? See links above for images.
Sepceli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2016, 07:28 PM   #2
I'd say glue then paint. Watch Evil Ted on YouTube, he has excellent advice on making and detailing foam armour.
Make good art. ~Neil Gaiman

Past costumes:Commander Shepard, Steampunk Valkyrie, Tiefling Sorcerer, Morrigan of Dragon Age, Thor Goddess of Thunder, Daenerys Targaryen
Future costumes: Aloy, Maleficent, Ciri, Steampunk gown

part of Pixelated Cosplay group on Facebook, @cathartic_creation on Instagram
Respawning is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2016, 12:31 PM   #3
Thank you! I will do that. : )
Sepceli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2016, 01:41 PM   #4
I also agree, with my reasoning being assuming you're using a heat gun (or anything meant to reach the same levels of heat) those are actually made specifically for paint stripping. So I'd worry about all your paint melting or flaking off if you painted it first then heated it to shape it. Maybe that's not an issue with foam but just something I've been thinking about as I've been working on my own foam armor.
Past Conventions
Radcon-'12 : Akicon-'13 : KuroNekoCon-many years ago : Sakuracon-'13, '14, '15, '16 : PAX West-'11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16 : Rainfurrest '15

Upcoming Conventions
Sakuracon 2017
Possibly: NewCon

Latest cosplay
Lunara (HotS)
Scunosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2016, 02:35 PM   #5
Property of Zee Captein
I've heated painted worbla/foam before. It works, and the paint was fine, but you do have to be careful not to let it get too hot. Though, if you glue the filigree to the foam mask, then heat the mask to shape it, the filigree should be just fine and stay in place. Then you're free to seal/paint it.
Winter Palace Morrigan - Dragon Age: Inquisition (1st version finished, redoing with better materials)

M! Knight-Commander Meredith - Dragon Age 2

F!Justice! Anders - Dragon Age 2
Sugar.Code is offline   Reply With Quote