Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Unread 02-19-2015, 06:44 AM   #1
iTanniKii
TanniKii

Possibility of getting a Bound foot look?

Hello, I know this is probably a long shot but I was wondering if anyone knew how to possibly get a more 'Bound foot' like-look for their cosplays or costumes. I'm planning on cosplaying Sielginde from Kuroshitsuji. My only guess to getting the closest look to this is buy ~2 inch black wedges or heels and then Adding my own details like the ribbons....I was just curious if anyone had any better suggestions or if this was my best bet.
iTanniKii is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-19-2015, 07:57 AM   #2
lemuries

A bound woman's feet don't extend as far forward as an unmutilated woman's. Here's an example of a woman without shoes on. Here is an xray of what the bones look like. I don't think you can simulate that kind of deformity without some extreme measures.

If you want to simulate that, you either need to make a false "ankle" in front of your own shin, so that the front of your foot doesn't look like it protrudes as far, or you need to wear a 6+" heel. A false ankle will make your legs look bloated and thick, and may be trouble to engineer around the fact that your ankle must bend and flex during the walking movement.

Here is an example of 6" heel silhouette, and here is a ballet boot.

I included a modified picture (bound feet ballet boots.jpg) from the internet (the original picture doesn't seem to show the model wearing any pants)of what it might look like if you modify a pair of ballet boots into more of a bound foot silhouette. Please keep in mind that walking in ballet boots is dangerous (most people can't walk unaided without falling in ballet boots), hard on the ankles and toes, and you aren't going to be able to move around as fast as you would in regular footwear. If you go with this route, you would have to simulate a false heel and then disguise your true heel, to pull off the illusion. The 6" heels would need to be modified too, and people on the internet suggest that you need weeks of practice to become good at walking in them without pain (letting the tendons of your feet stretch down the shoe, while giving yourself rests to not allow the achilles tendon to shorten from too much time in the shoes).

If these kind of extreme measures aren't the level of simulation you're looking for, then I don't think it really matters what kind of wedge shoe you attach ribbons to. Here is an example of ribbon flats (albeit the ribbons are not high enough), and here is what heels with ribbons look like (I'm thinking about 3 inches). Here is a picture of wedges that tie up the leg.

I think the flats are probably the closest thing to the look, if you hid more of the bridge of the foot than the example I found.
lemuries is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2015, 10:18 AM   #3
iTanniKii
TanniKii

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemuries View Post
A bound woman's feet don't extend as far forward as an unmutilated woman's. Here's an example of a woman without shoes on. Here is an xray of what the bones look like. I don't think you can simulate that kind of deformity without some extreme measures.

If you want to simulate that, you either need to make a false "ankle" in front of your own shin, so that the front of your foot doesn't look like it protrudes as far, or you need to wear a 6+" heel. A false ankle will make your legs look bloated and thick, and may be trouble to engineer around the fact that your ankle must bend and flex during the walking movement.

Here is an example of 6" heel silhouette, and here is a ballet boot.

I included a modified picture (Attachment 42613) from the internet (the original picture doesn't seem to show the model wearing any pants)of what it might look like if you modify a pair of ballet boots into more of a bound foot silhouette. Please keep in mind that walking in ballet boots is dangerous (most people can't walk unaided without falling in ballet boots), hard on the ankles and toes, and you aren't going to be able to move around as fast as you would in regular footwear. If you go with this route, you would have to simulate a false heel and then disguise your true heel, to pull off the illusion. The 6" heels would need to be modified too, and people on the internet suggest that you need weeks of practice to become good at walking in them without pain (letting the tendons of your feet stretch down the shoe, while giving yourself rests to not allow the achilles tendon to shorten from too much time in the shoes).

If these kind of extreme measures aren't the level of simulation you're looking for, then I don't think it really matters what kind of wedge shoe you attach ribbons to. Here is an example of ribbon flats (albeit the ribbons are not high enough), and here is what heels with ribbons look like (I'm thinking about 3 inches). Here is a picture of wedges that tie up the leg.

I think the flats are probably the closest thing to the look, if you hid more of the bridge of the foot than the example I found.
Yeah, I'm not looking for something too extreme since I plan to wear the cosplay to a con and Six inch heels alone seem like they would hurt over time. If I was just modeling or something I would think about the method that you said would be more dangerous...just because the character herself can't really walk on her own from what I've seen.

I think I may go with your suggestion of the flats though, if not possibly a heel and create a faux heel for it. It's just a matter of what shoes I can actually find that come close to ...I know if I did the first, I'd probably trip over my own feet more so than I already do. Thank you for helping.
Unread 02-19-2015, 12:37 PM   #4
Rinner

If I was going this I would leave my feet normal but in photos always point my feet directly towards the camera to give the illusion of a shortened foot.
Unread 02-20-2015, 01:04 PM   #5
iTanniKii
TanniKii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinner View Post
If I was going this I would leave my feet normal but in photos always point my feet directly towards the camera to give the illusion of a shortened foot.
Ooh, Sounds like a good idea and would help come up with posing ideas (I've never been good with coming up with them). Thank you. :3
Unread 02-23-2015, 05:49 PM   #6
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

Looking at the image, she's wearing laced Lolita shoes..... Nothing bound at all...... Search up gothic Lolita shoes and what they have are the shoes w these ringlets on them that lace up the ribbon on top and then they loosely wrap around the upper leg. It's not right tight at all, and Ive worn them for hours on end without an issue
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2015, 06:51 PM   #7
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by animenerd93 View Post
Looking at the image, she's wearing laced Lolita shoes..... Nothing bound at all...... Search up gothic Lolita shoes and what they have are the shoes w these ringlets on them that lace up the ribbon on top and then they loosely wrap around the upper leg. It's not right tight at all, and Ive worn them for hours on end without an issue
This is what I was thinking..I was really confused reading this..

Have you ever sat on a tall chair as a small child? And you try to make your toes touch the ground? that same exact thing is what she is doing. Her feet are just positioned to make her toes touch the ground..Nothing more nothing less. There's nothing bound in any way here unless you count her lengs wraapped with the ribbon, but that's not the same thing.
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts II)
-Chandelure (Pokemon)
-Akaito (Vocaloid)
-Spirit (Soul Eater)
Jei-Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2015, 07:46 PM   #8
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jei-Cos View Post

Have you ever sat on a tall chair as a small child? And you try to make your toes touch the ground? that same exact thing is what she is doing. Her feet are just positioned to make her toes touch the ground..Nothing more nothing less. There's nothing bound in any way here unless you count her lengs wraapped with the ribbon, but that's not the same thing.
Thank god I wasn't the only one confuse by the previous post-ers!
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2015, 12:03 AM   #9
DeeperBlue
In Over Her Head

Well, her feet really are bound in the manga. Other characters remark on how unusual it is, so yes, she does have bound feet.

Fayt Leingod - Star Ocean:Till the End of Time - 55% finished

Izanagi no Okami - Persona 4 - Planning stages

Next Con: Anime Expo 2015
DeeperBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2015, 12:27 AM   #10
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeperBlue View Post
Well, her feet really are bound in the manga. Other characters remark on how unusual it is, so yes, she does have bound feet.
Ok, then the person posting should use a picture that accurately shows this. The picture used does not show that. The picture used shows exactly what I said.

Not everyone has read this manga. Meaning without the picture accurately showing what's being asked about, ONLY the people that have read the manga will know what they are talking about.
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts II)
-Chandelure (Pokemon)
-Akaito (Vocaloid)
-Spirit (Soul Eater)
Jei-Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2015, 12:39 AM   #11
lemuries

Actually I posted about bound feet because the OP asked about bound feet. I haven't read the manga, but I answered the question being asked.

And although Lolita shoes might not give the same silhouette as bound feet, I think they were a good suggestion, because they seem reminiscent of the same spirit of unpowerful feminine beauty. Often, when you can't get the details of a costume correct, you can approximate, and the audience's minds will fill in the gaps.
lemuries is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2015, 08:08 AM   #12
iTanniKii
TanniKii

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Thank god I wasn't the only one confuse by the previous post-ers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeperBlue View Post
Quote:
Ok, then the person posting should use a picture that accurately shows this. The picture used does not show that. The picture used shows exactly what I said.

Not everyone has read this manga. Meaning without the picture accurately showing what's being asked about, ONLY the people that have read the manga will know what they are talking about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemuries View Post
Actually I posted about bound feet because the OP asked about bound feet. I haven't read the manga, but I answered the question being asked.

And although Lolita shoes might not give the same silhouette as bound feet, I think they were a good suggestion, because they seem reminiscent of the same spirit of unpowerful feminine beauty. Often, when you can't get the details of a costume correct, you can approximate, and the audience's minds will fill in the gaps.
Sorry about replying late. I don't come on here everyday, but sorry for the confusion. I thought I had made it clear her feet were bound. ^^; And i can't really find many clear pictures of her shoes just because she's typically being carried and I think most panels only show her from the waist up. But I never thought of looking into Lolita shoes (nor did I know they existed). Thank you for the suggestions.