Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 02-06-2010, 03:32 PM   #1
Minamii

What is a good brand of body paint?

One of my cosplays I'm planning to do is the Hua Po from SMT: Nocturne and I wanted to paint my skin the weird reddish pink color her skin is. What is a good web site and a good technique for body paint? Basically, I'm worried that the paint may stain her costume because it's white, or that it might wear off before the day is over.

http://www.popanime.net/megami/wiki/...80px-Huapo.jpg
Minamii is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-07-2010, 08:38 PM   #2
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

Body paint questions are very common here and frequent so I encourage you to use the search function to find useful tips. That said, here's my response to a similar question from another thread:

I really like Kryolan Aquacolor - it comes in cake or liquid and goes on with a damp sponge or brush. I've used Kryolan, Mehron Starblend and Ben Nye's version, and far prefer Kryolan. Setting spray is highly recommended to reduce rub-off. I haven't tried doing the cream makeup for full-body application but suspect it would rub off more easily than the water-based paints (even with the setting powder).

There is also Alcohol Activated paint which goes on and removes with alcohol and is used for fake tattoos; it can be more long-wearing than some of the other body paints.

Keep in mind that even with setting sprays/powders/etc., wherever clothing rubs against the paint, the paint WILL come off a bit. It's inevitable that after several hours of clothing rubbing against a spot, the paint will rub off.

That's why I usually recommend that if people need to do a full-body colour change they go for a bodysuit instead, plus doing a nice smooth coverage of your whole body takes hours (and a patient friend to get all the bits you can't easily see or reach). If you want to go with paint just keep in mind that you'll need lots of extra prep time for the painting every time you wear the costume, and be sure it's not a problem for you if the costume gets paint stains on the edges.

The International Costuming Convention is returning to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Shopping, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2010, 03:20 PM   #3
Minamii

Okay, I'll look around for threads. But basically I guess I wouldn't really have to do my body, just my arms and legs and face and neck since the whole body is covered, but her arms and legs basically.
Minamii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2010, 08:15 PM   #4
PandaClown
Be very afraid.

I also recommend Kryolan. I used the water-based cake make-up for my Witch cosplay (In my profile if you want to have a look.) in which I had to do a full body painting. It worked very well and didn't smudge. I could hug someone without it coming off, and it dried very fast.
Undecided.
PandaClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2010, 03:48 PM   #5
Sweet Loretta

As a professional body painter and one who hangs out with the world's top body artists --- Here are the top brands used by the top body painters internationally - all good, all have a learning curve some more than others. What one uses comes down to personal choice based on ease of use, environment - some makeup works different in humidity or dry climates, ease of availability, color selection or if they makeup company is giving it to you free! Most body painters use between 1-3 brands in their kits.

Kryolan (cakes & airbrush) - worldwide a top choice - cakes best colors but soft most easy to come off - airbrush new colors regularly, very durable.
Mehron's Paradise AQ (cakes) also now a worldwide product - complementing colors not as vibrant as some, meduim durabiltiy.
Wolfe Face Art and FX (cakes) body painter swear by their black and white as the #1 choice - vibrant colors - grater learning curve.
Mehron's new LUX - (airbrush) great colors, good durability.

In the UK
Fardel creams (Fradel in the US is not a pigmented and now hard to get)

There are other brands but these are the top - for airbrush many do use Graftobian based on the large colors selection.

Some use Temptu or Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics, European Body Art but it is so expensive to use it is best for small applications not full body
For cakes Diamond FX (a Wolfe knock-off).
In the UK you'll find Grimas.
In both the UK and USA for creams Fantasy World Wide- easy to use lousy color selection.

Yes there are lots of other brands ( i.e. I see folks recommend Ben Nye all the time and it's great used by makeup artists just not body painters for the most part) many very good products that will work but there just don't happen to be what most of use use - we use these brands based on cost, color, durability and ease of availability.

For best durablity when we compete or set out artworks to stage we fix/seal our paint/makeup with Kryolan or Mehron Fixer.

Face and Body Artist
www.sweet-loretta.com

Face and Body Art Makeup & Supplies
Extreme Makeup FX
www.extrememakeupfx.com

You can also find Extreme Makeup FX on eBay and eCrater.
Sweet Loretta is offline   Reply With Quote