Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > J-Rock/J-Pop

Unread 02-08-2010, 07:24 AM   #1
dulcinea326
Carpe Diem

Should "Jrock/Jpop Inspired" be considered a cosplay?

There are issues in our local cosplay scene regarding jpop/jrock inspired outfits. Kpop inspired and Lolitas apply too. Should we really consider them as a form of Cosplay? Or a Fashion Trend instead?

Most of the time thy are often looked-down upon because they are usually seen in Anime Conventions worn by people who knew nothing about Jtrends and such. They throw in simple mix and match closet clothes and still joins the competitions. Shouldn't we put them under a different category?
dulcinea326 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-08-2010, 02:45 PM   #2
DarkFujin
Lang Zhi says...

I've never seen them in competitions before, I usually see a separate, non-competitive "fashion show" for them. I don't really think they're cosplay, I mean I could wear a Naruto headband and Full Metal Alchemist jacket from Hot Topic or something, and that wouldn't be cosplay either, but I don't really see anything wrong with them. But then again, I've never seen them in competitions and the such.
DarkFujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2010, 12:49 AM   #3
camillaoc
カミ

Fashion IMO, not really a cosplay.
camillaoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2010, 04:53 AM   #4
kiratsukai
culture shocked

If you consider yourself to be wearing a costume and not regular clothing -- it's cosplay.

If you're wearing something you'd wear on the street - it's not cosplay.

example. A nurse costume on a housewife is cosplay. A nurse costume on a nurse is not.

A yukata on a caucasian woman at a halloween party is cosplay. A yukata on a Japanese woman at a summer festival is not. (The same yukata brought out in the bedroom in December and combined with some crazy rope-bondage can then qualify as "cosplay" too :3 )

A gothic lolita outfit on someone who is keen to "dress up like a lolita" is cosplay. A gothic lolita outfit on a gothic lolita is not.

The trouble is, with the exception of a few really clear-cut cases: the line between "cosplay" and "fashion" is defined almost entirely by motivation and personal habit... the only person in a position to tell you whether or not it's a "costume" is the person wearing the outfit.

I'm of the opinion that very few people who consider themselves to actually BE a member of a fashion movement would enter themselves in a "costume contest"... it's kind of insulting. It's probably safe to say that, in entering under those circumstances at all, they consider themselves to be dressing up as a member of a subculture to which they don't belong... and in reality, are probably "cosplaying", albeit crappily

If it's an issue of making room for them (or not) in a masquerade: create more stringent rules for entries by defining what is acceptable ~ (ie. specify "character costumes only")

LAYERS Tutorial Translations: here, Blog: here
~ Cosplayer's Archive #67148 ~ Cure #224396 ~ My Marketplace Page ~

Last edited by kiratsukai : 02-09-2010 at 05:15 AM.
kiratsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2010, 04:33 PM   #5
FilthyWarumono
Japanese Fxxker

If you're mimicing something (ex: a certain Jrocker's certain costume from a certain era/pv/photoshoot) then it's cosplay. What makes that any different than an anime costume? You're matching fabrics, patterns, styles, wigs, makeup, shoes.

However I think if you're wearing a Japanese street style, it is not cosplay. It is a street fashion - whether or not you wear it all the time. I would definitely maybe have a seperate 'fashion show' and maybe make that into a contest. Most of that stuff is all store bought anyway, fashion isn't really made, it's altered (not in ALL cases, I know). Kimono's are usually bought. Lolita dresses are usually bought. Even cyber stuff is usually bought.

I will scream as much as I want and if my voice dies, then let my voice die。
~悪者 Warumono
It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you're not。
And if you aren't hated, you aren't doing shit。
FilthyWarumono is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2010, 10:40 PM   #6
UhOhxitsNami
Does It Become a Memory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilthyWarumono View Post
If you're mimicing something (ex: a certain Jrocker's certain costume from a certain era/pv/photoshoot) then it's cosplay. What makes that any different than an anime costume? You're matching fabrics, patterns, styles, wigs, makeup, shoes.

However I think if you're wearing a Japanese street style, it is not cosplay. It is a street fashion - whether or not you wear it all the time. I would definitely maybe have a seperate 'fashion show' and maybe make that into a contest. Most of that stuff is all store bought anyway, fashion isn't really made, it's altered (not in ALL cases, I know). Kimono's are usually bought. Lolita dresses are usually bought. Even cyber stuff is usually bought.

This I agree with. (:

If you're doing a 'j-rocker' or 'j-pop star' or whatever in specific, it's a cosplay. Just because it's not an anime or videogame character doesn't mean it's not cosplay. But if you're going for the 'j-rock look' or whatever, then it's considered fashion. My opinion. :P

(*・∀・)/ Lolita by day. \(・∀・*)

ヘ(^_^ヘ) Raver by night.
(ノ^_^)ノ

I'll also be hopping around in my Pikachu Kigurimin occasionally too!
Try and catch me!

UhOhxitsNami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2010, 04:46 PM   #7
klmedia
Photographer

Generally, I would consider it more of a fashion than a cosplay. If you're wearing clothes that resembles a character from a anime/video game, I guess it's cosplay.

I don't see why there'd be an issue with walking around an anime convention dressed in Jrock/jpop/kpop/egl/etc. And if the self-proclaimed fashionistas have a problem with it, too bad for them. Trends come and go.

I've never judged a competition, but I think the problem for competitions is that the judges have no "reference point" to judge your "costume". So, if some dresses in fabulous jpop/jrock clothes and puts on a freaking awesome performance, maybe they deserve to win "Best Performance". However, that doesn't mean they qualify for "Best Costume", the judges don't know what to compare your costume with. Hence, someone else might win "Best Overall" because of a better costume (that can be compared with other similar costumes), but with a slightly weaker performance/skit.

[ Cosplay Photography | Videos ]
klmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2010, 04:35 PM   #8
XShinwa
Liebe ist fur alle da!

Quote:

100% Agreed.
XShinwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2010, 09:02 PM   #9
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiratsukai View Post
If you consider yourself to be wearing a costume and not regular clothing -- it's cosplay.

If you're wearing something you'd wear on the street - it's not cosplay.

example. A nurse costume on a housewife is cosplay. A nurse costume on a nurse is not.

A yukata on a caucasian woman at a halloween party is cosplay. A yukata on a Japanese woman at a summer festival is not. (The same yukata brought out in the bedroom in December and combined with some crazy rope-bondage can then qualify as "cosplay" too :3 )

A gothic lolita outfit on someone who is keen to "dress up like a lolita" is cosplay. A gothic lolita outfit on a gothic lolita is not.

The trouble is, with the exception of a few really clear-cut cases: the line between "cosplay" and "fashion" is defined almost entirely by motivation and personal habit... the only person in a position to tell you whether or not it's a "costume" is the person wearing the outfit.

I'm of the opinion that very few people who consider themselves to actually BE a member of a fashion movement would enter themselves in a "costume contest"... it's kind of insulting. It's probably safe to say that, in entering under those circumstances at all, they consider themselves to be dressing up as a member of a subculture to which they don't belong... and in reality, are probably "cosplaying", albeit crappily

If it's an issue of making room for them (or not) in a masquerade: create more stringent rules for entries by defining what is acceptable ~ (ie. specify "character costumes only")
Quoted for truth. I 100% agree with this person.

~Cure deviantART Tumblr Fan Page~

Vote for me at the Otaku House costume contest!!
Axelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2010, 10:34 PM   #10
eg4man

Ok, I'm doing a Yoshio Nomura (Yo-chan) live performance costume, It is an actual outfit, not street clothes, heck not even close to street clothes, it is a very formal outfit I am having to have made custom, It's around a $1,000 outfit, maybe a little more cause it's not done yet. And you wouldn't consider an inspired outfit from a fan to be cosplay, I think that's a bunch of crud!!! (no offense) (>_<) I am also a guitar player of yo-chans and Ayumi Hamasaki's music, am I still cosplay???

Last edited by eg4man : 02-15-2010 at 10:40 PM. Reason: new thoughts
eg4man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2010, 10:16 PM   #11
Yummyberrikixx
Mel

Quote:

Exactly, cosplaying a Jrocker from a photoshoot, picture, or PV, is valid. You are "mimicking" cosplaying that "persons character" from that photoshoot/pictue/PV.