Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Critique

Unread 02-10-2010, 10:16 AM   #1
ByeByeBeautiful
angels have the phonebox

Critique - Bleach - Off Camera Flash

Hiya!

I've started to learn Off-Camera Flash, and recently got a chance to take it to con. So, I'm throwing a photoshoot gallery up for critique.

Specifically, I'm interested in hearing thoughts on the photos with flash, but any comments are most appreciated!

Complete gallery is here

Tools: Single snooted flash.

ByeByeBeautiful is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-10-2010, 12:24 PM   #2
Elemental
I do that photo thing...

In your first shot, I'd keep in mind the falloff for next time - Ichigo is in a great deal more shadow than Rukia, which makes his face look flat. Also, be careful using snoots on black costumes, because in an area like this their clothing disappears into the background.

I like the lighting in the second shot more- it's flattering on them both, and the halo of light on the wall is a nice touch. The dark void to the right should probably have been trimmed down a bit my moving slightly to the right or backing up/zooming in. (A little bit helps emphasize the pair, but this seems a bit too much.)
I'd watch facial angles a bit - Have Ichigo 'cheat' and lay his head so that it's turned more to the camera- it makes the 'sleeping' look more comfortable and flattering. (Rule of thumb is 'up the nose' is rarely a good way to shoot.)

Great use of a neutral background though, and you're doing a great job for just starting with OCF!
Hope this helps~
Elemental is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2010, 04:39 PM   #3
FiveRings

The problem with the snoot is that it's a relatively small circle of light, typically good for pointing at one person. It's hard to light more than one person with it so you're kind of losing one of them in the shadows, as Elemental said. If you had just pointed it at one person, you'd have a much more dramatic shot.

Second shot seems like you're getting a little more ambient than you'd like. If you had shot with a faster shutter speed near your max sync, the back wall that's not lit would just be black. Unless you wanted some background? Your subjects would still be exposed properly by the flash.
Unread 02-10-2010, 05:32 PM   #4
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

I agree with Elemental. The first photo would bring out Ichigo better if there was more light on the wall behind him. The softer, less bright light on him makes him of secondary importance. That might have been your intention. Bringing your main light further from the axis of your camera will give more shadow on your subjects and look less flat, giving them more demension. You might like that effect.

The second photo has over-exposed faces, especially Ichigo's face. I don't mind looking up his nose, as long as no light is showing in there. It can have a dramatic effect to see someone from this angle. Again, more angled lighting will sculpt your cosplayers to look more 3-D modeliing and add texture to the costumes. There does seem to be too much negative space on the right frame. Cropping the sleve might help tighten the focus of our attention.

Nice poses!

Last edited by brucer007 : 02-10-2010 at 06:59 PM.
brucer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2010, 09:17 AM   #5
ByeByeBeautiful
angels have the phonebox

Wow! Thanks very much for all the thoughtful comments! (Poor Ichigo, bet "he" didn't expect all this debate about his nose. :P) It's definitely given me a lot to consider. I'm looking forward to getting better at OCF.

As far as cropping for the first photo goes - is this better?

Quote:
Second shot seems like you're getting a little more ambient than you'd like. If you had shot with a faster shutter speed near your max sync, the back wall that's not lit would just be black. Unless you wanted some background? Your subjects would still be exposed properly by the flash.
Since the cosplayers are in all black, I wanted to make sure I had enough neutral background to set them off. I'll definitely keep the faster shutter time in mind for someone with more color!
ByeByeBeautiful is offline   Reply With Quote