Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Cosplay Newbies

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-10-2010, 11:28 AM   #1
Kayu-sama

Weird cosplay comments from parents?

Most of our parents aren't exactly in the loop when it comes to anime or cosplay, so sometimes they say some pretty odd things. Here's my favorite...I was thinking about getting a classical lolita dress to wear for a masquerade ball, and I was looking at some online. My mom noticed and asked what I was doing. She's always interested in my costumes and things I wear to cons, so I told her what a masquerade ball is and showed her a beautiful dress I was eyeing. She said "Oh, that's very nice!" But the next thing to come out of her mouth was the weird part. She then said, "It looks like something a French hooker would wear."

What the hell, mom. What the hell.

Unread 02-10-2010, 12:14 PM   #2
kachow

Lol XD

well my mom HATES anything she considers new age aka computers tv`s AND anime (not really new but whatever) well for a while I had been waiting to ask her if I could go to megacon so fainlly she asked what the costume I was making was for, so I was trying to exsplain but did a VERY bad job, she dident say anything for a few seconds then she said. "so......is this some kind of cult?" O_O at the time I was freaking out trying to exsplain but now that I think about it that was pretty awsome XD

Unread 02-10-2010, 12:46 PM   #3
Chaotic Era
Instigator of Chaos

Mine's not so much weird as funny.

Every time I put on a wig or costume and my dad walks by, he always says, in an Asian accent I might add,
"You look like Anime!"

XD
Unread 02-10-2010, 06:21 PM   #4
Icethefrostycat

Surprisingly, my parents don't seem to find it all that weird. In fact my Dad went into the Masquerade at MCM last year and was quite entertained by all the cosplayers.
Of course he was asking me who the characters were for ages afterwards but whatever xD
Unread 02-10-2010, 06:39 PM   #5
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

My Dad just calls me and my cosplay friends a bunch of freaks, (in a joking way) but he's kind of hypocritical because he goes to Adam and the Ants conventions and dresses up like them O_O Yh...
Unread 02-10-2010, 06:53 PM   #6
Someguy

The only real comments I've ever gotten from my parents were "You spent HOW MUCH on that costume that you're only going to wear once?!"
Unread 02-10-2010, 07:41 PM   #7
Maneki_Neko14
バナナ

well my mom is totally supportive of my hobbies, as long as I pay for them ;3
I think the weirdest comment I've gotten from her is probably something along the lines of "you look sexy" XD I hate being told that, its just a pet peeve of mine =P

my dad on the otherhand, OMG he hates EVERYTHING about it DX he's actually gotten me a therapist because I 'ONLY talk about anime' and I'm on the computer 'way too much to be healthy' and stuff like that. He thinks I'm out of my friggen mind ;___; my step mom will only help me with sewing and stuff if it 'gets me away from that anime junk'
eeehhh ^^''''''
Planned: Legolas Greenleaf|Aragorn|Claude Faustus|JBF Boy|Shizuo Heiwajima

Finished|WIP|Not Started

plans will probably change C:
Current Fandom = Lord of the Rings

Stalk Me?
dA|FB|Cure|YT|Twitt.
Unread 02-10-2010, 08:18 PM   #8
Kayu-sama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki_Neko14 View Post
well my mom is totally supportive of my hobbies, as long as I pay for them ;3
I think the weirdest comment I've gotten from her is probably something along the lines of "you look sexy" XD I hate being told that, its just a pet peeve of mine =P

my dad on the otherhand, OMG he hates EVERYTHING about it DX he's actually gotten me a therapist because I 'ONLY talk about anime' and I'm on the computer 'way too much to be healthy' and stuff like that. He thinks I'm out of my friggen mind ;___; my step mom will only help me with sewing and stuff if it 'gets me away from that anime junk'
eeehhh ^^''''''
Wow, I've never understood why some parents over-react so much to anime. D= My parents have never cared that much.
Unread 02-10-2010, 08:23 PM   #9
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Every time I show my mother a cosplay photo, this conversation happens:

Mom: Which one are you?
Me: The boy
Mom: Wait... you're the girl!
Me: No mom, I'm the boy.
Mom: .... who is the girl?
Me: My friend.
Mom: Are they both girls?
Me: No.
Mom: Why are you the boy?
Me: Because I like to dress up like boys.
Mom: .... So wait, you're the girl, right?

>.>

LAYERS Tutorial Translations: here, Blog: here
~ Cosplayer's Archive #67148 ~ Cure #224396 ~ My Marketplace Page ~
Unread 02-11-2010, 12:01 AM   #10
EgnirysFaye
Knows all your secrets

Thankfully my parents are also really supportive. And my mom finds the whole thing really fun and interesting lol

I think one of the main things, is that she is always mispronouncing "Cosplay" - she keeps calling it "Cosco" for some reason. So it would be like...

Mom: Oh Cora I saw some Cosco's on tv the other night
Me: ^_^;; It's cosplay mom.
Mom: Right, Cosplay!

*next day*

Mom: Are you posting your cosco pictures up?
Me: PLAY XD cosPLAY!

(Ahh I love my mom I've been cosplaying since 2006 and sometimes she still calls it that. At least that is the worst that happens)

Future/In Progress Cosplays:
||Lyanna (95%) ::Game of Thrones ASOIAF||King Canute::Vinland Saga
|| ? ::Once Upon a Time || Princess Tutu::Princess Tutu{Coppelia}||Louise Belcher::Bob's Burger's
Unread 02-11-2010, 07:46 AM   #11
TsukimiyaJun
Military Elegance

My mother is my image director when it comes to cosplay XXXXD She always makes sure that I look decent enough to step out from the house~~^^ Having a mother who works in fashion industry is helpful, da?

Some epic lines from her:
"Hey girl! Your wig is so tangled. Comb it before you go to the convention~"
"What about your eyebrows? Your hair is green & your eyebrows are black? You need some dye job."
"You look like a princess in this dress. Well, it's not your usual style but you are still a teenager so go for it."

Besides, she love to suggest characters she saw at convention for me to cosplay XXXXD
{Mum: Girl girl! Look at her~ *pointing at a Lenalee cosplayer in her 2nd Exorcist uniform*
Me: Oh, she's from D Gray Man, her name's Lenalee~~
Mum: You'll definitely look beautiful as her. You even have her hair so there's no need for a wig.
Me: But mum, I have plans for next year already~
Mum: I want to see my daughter having normal-coloured hair while wearing her costume. At least for once.}
& the debate goes on XXXXD

I love my mum <3
Unread 02-11-2010, 12:44 PM   #12
A x e l - F
Got It Memorized?

My mom finds my cosplaying very interesting, even more so since I hardly ever actually dress up as a girl character (so I crossplay). I was talking to her one day in the car about another cosplay that I wanted (which was a guy) and how it had this lovely 4 piece suit. This is how the conversation went:

Mom: Why Don't you even dress up as a girl?
Me: Because Mom, most girl costumes require you to have boobs and...well...last time I checked I don't have very much of them.
Mom: Okay...good point.

After that she never brought it up again and just thinks it's funny that I crossplay. :P

Anime St. George 2010 Con | Twitter Me!| ASG Blog | Facebook | Myspace |
Unread 02-11-2010, 03:33 PM   #13
nhprodigio
DuskPanda

I'm new to cosplay and truthfully haven't even done it yet. I'm planing on it, soon, but anyway the one conversation I have had with my mom about it went like this...

Me sitting at the computer and mom walks in;
mom: "Why's that kid dressed like that?"
me: "she's dressed up like Cloud from Final Fantasy"
mom: "ok..."
me: "Some people dress up like that for anime conventions, it's called Cosplay"
mom: "oh, so their like Trekkies. People are so silly getting that into a tv show."
me: "uh...well..."
Unread 02-11-2010, 04:03 PM   #14
makotohanabi
Chuu?

Started costuming in my mid 20s so my parents couldn't stop me. They are supportive and mom helped me with my first costume. It doesn't hurt that Tenchi Muyo is one of her favorite shows.

Did a bit of crossplay since anime chicks are a bit skimpy for my tastes. When I was working on Beast of Blood Mana, I showed mom the photos.

mom:It's about time you went as a girl.
me: Mana is a guy.
mom: *long rant on how men make more beautiful women than actual women*
Unread 02-11-2010, 04:19 PM   #15
Pocketfightr
Merc who grants wishes

I've been old enough to not be stopped by my parents for a long time but... my father every once and a while calls me a Trekkie, even though I have never and probably will never do a Star Trek costume. I don't get it, but I guess that's the closest thing he can comprehend. (Funny thing is, he used to be the one to watch all the Star Trek shows, not me. I'd only get sucked in to the occasional episode if he happened to be watching it and I was in the same room.)
Nene (Bubblegum Crisis) -eventually?

2014 Cons:
Detour
Acen
Dragon*Con
Nebraskon