Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Site Headquarters

Closed Thread
Unread 02-08-2010, 11:40 PM   #1
Avianna
Lights Out?

Report Bugs as Site is Updated

I noticed that some pages and features on the site are slowly being updated lately, some of these updates are awesome, but sometimes they run into a few bugs. Because sometimes the mods and site owners can't see all of them, lets help them out via posting in this thread things we see that may be a bit 'off.'

Unread 02-08-2010, 11:42 PM   #2
Avianna
Lights Out?

I've noticed that when I look up a series like "Rule of Rose" in the costumes option, that any series with "Rose" comes up. In the past it took me to a page full of just "Rule of Rose."

I'm guessing now that you can pick what series your costume comes from in a drop menu when you are organizing your costume page, that perhaps there will be an option to look via series soon. But just in case I thought this information would be useful to know.
Unread 02-08-2010, 11:46 PM   #3
Admin
Administrator
Not Jackie Chan

Thanks for the report. We switched it to boolean search and will be putting some info/instructions up shortly. We have to get the photo search working again tomorrow first.

If you search for either

+rule +rose
"Rule of Rose"

it will return only Rule of Rose results.
Unread 02-09-2010, 12:14 AM   #4
Avianna
Lights Out?

Thank you! I will be keeping an eye out for other stuff good sir!

EDIT: Oh, this reminds me. Its impossible to search for anything from the Marketplace page. But that's been like that for a while, I've just never remembered to mention it. (Although, I must also admit. I didn't look for if someone else had a thread about it first)
Unread 02-09-2010, 01:52 AM   #5
Kitsoru
Guilty Gear fangirl

Ahhh, so that's the problem... So the search has been changed to a more 'google-esque' function? Will photo searches work the same way?
Next Cons:
Youmacon '12
My Curecos
My ACP
My dA
Unread 02-09-2010, 01:53 AM   #6
Admin
Administrator
Not Jackie Chan

Here's a quick mockup (not 100% finalized) of the upcoming search expansion:

In addition to using the search box on the top of the site, I've added a detailed search function that can be used to get much more specific results and also specify initial sort order. I had to change part of the searches over today in order to finish it, so until the code is done some results may be a bit erratic for now unless you're searching for very specific items.

Most searches will work just fine with the one-box search up top though.

On the right you can see all of the upcoming search sections. I'll also be adding date ranges and we have a live search suggestion function in testing for some of the smaller searches like series and characters (which is why the series is drop-down only for a few days).

Jia and Ginny spent a couple of hell-weeks porting the old costume database over so that all of the series are more standardized for the searches, and we've even built in common misspellings and Japanese translations of the series (not implemented in the current results yet), and that will improve over time when more items are added to it.

I should add that the only other thing we'll likely be updating prior to the upcoming main site change is the front page. All other new features (and there are many of them) will be launched all at once after we do a closed beta test. And square cropped thumbnails are being launched directly into the sun. As are cropped costume icons.

Last edited by Admin : 02-09-2010 at 02:07 AM.
Unread 02-09-2010, 01:54 AM   #7
Admin
Administrator
Not Jackie Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsoru View Post
Will photo searches work the same way?
Yes, should be back online tomorrow after I'm done rebuilding the photo database to incorporate the new search functions.
Unread 02-09-2010, 01:34 PM   #8
Admin
Administrator
Not Jackie Chan

Photo search is now open again.
Unread 02-09-2010, 09:53 PM   #9
Aoiro
I'mma schnipe ya~

In my planner, when I try to add a costume onto a convention I am going to attend, it just reloads back to the same page (without any changes). I've tried deleting the same conventions and re-adding them on my planner, but the same thing still happens. I don't really see other people having a problem with this (or maybe they rarely use the "Convention Planner - Costume Association" page). Is it just me? xD;

Utena Tenjou from "Adolescence of Utena"│"Shōjo Kakumei Utena Aduresensu Mokushiroku"
Yuri Nakamura (winter school uniform) from "Angel Beats!"
Sakura Kinomoto (winter school uniform) from "Cardcaptor Sakura"
Briefers Rock from "Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt"
Benio Shinada (winter school uniform) from "STAR DRIVER: Takuto of the Radiance"│"Star Driver: Kagayaki no Takuto"
Unread 02-10-2010, 03:43 PM   #10
Kitsoru
Guilty Gear fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin View Post
And square cropped thumbnails are being launched directly into the sun. As are cropped costume icons.
No more icons? What will they be replaced by? Just text sounds... messy and unpretty from a layout standpoint, to me D:

Or do you mean they'll be relatively free-size...? I thought there was to be a custom-crop function for icons in the works.
Next Cons:
Youmacon '12
My Curecos
My ACP
My dA
Unread 02-10-2010, 04:53 PM   #11
Admin
Administrator
Not Jackie Chan

We're keeping icons, we're just not having them cropped anymore on some of the pages. All icons will be squares.
Unread 02-10-2010, 06:04 PM   #12
Avianna
Lights Out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsoru View Post
No more icons? What will they be replaced by? Just text sounds... messy and unpretty from a layout standpoint, to me D:

Or do you mean they'll be relatively free-size...? I thought there was to be a custom-crop function for icons in the works.
I'm guessing he means how icons on your profile for your costumes are cropped a bit smaller then the actual icon on the costume's page.
Unread 02-11-2010, 01:45 AM   #13
Angathol
harmony harmony
Canada Forums Moderator

When I try sorting costume searches by date (i.e. "oldest first"), it doesn't show up in chronological order like it should; it's a mishmash of costumes from different years.
Angathol is evolving!
Congratulations! Your Angathol evolved into Independent Badass!
Future Costumes: Deedlit : Record of Lodoss War | Saber : Fate/Stay Night | Aya Shameimaru : Touhou Project | Nozomu Itoshiki : Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Unread 02-11-2010, 02:44 AM   #14
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Marketplace will not let me delete my own ads...

That makes it a bit difficult NOT to clog the site (and your own profile) with ads for sold articles..

LAYERS Tutorial Translations: here, Blog: here
~ Cosplayer's Archive #67148 ~ Cure #224396 ~ My Marketplace Page ~
Unread 02-11-2010, 01:22 PM   #15
Jia Jem
replicant
Rock Star Admin

Anyone having problems with the current search function, cha-cha-cha-CHECKIT:

http://www.cosplay.com/showpost.php?...30&postcount=8

(Why yes, I have had too much coffee this morning.)

Angathol - The "sort by date" is working for me. However, the "Oldest First" can seem misleading. The "Last Update" date visible on the thumbnail page is not the same as the "First Uploaded" date. For example, it might say "Last Update: January 09" but the costume was originally uploaded in January 06, therefore it appears first. I hope that made sense. ^_^;
(You can see the "First Uploaded" date by clicking on the costume.)

Last edited by Jia Jem : 02-11-2010 at 01:39 PM.
Closed Thread