Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Tutorials

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-31-2010, 04:29 PM   #31
MermaidRizu
Mermaid Princess

I'm not a photographer, but I wanted to share an instance where I thought a photographer at a con really knew what he was doing:

I was sitting in front of a window at Anime Boston around sunset, so the light was different than usual, and a photographer came up to me and said "Oh, wow...the way the light is hitting you right now is perfect, could I have a picture please?"

I said sure, and stood up to pose for him, and he proceeded to tell me exactly how to pose so that the light would hit me in the best way possible. (No, he wasn't trying to get a panty shot, I was in a big poofy dress anyway XD) He really knew what he was doing, and the picture looked beautiful when he showed it to me! ^^ Which is a rare thing, I'm not very photogenic. XD Looking back, I wish I had asked him to send it to me, it was a really nice picture...

Anyway, it made me happy that this guy really cared about making me look the best that I possibly could, instead of just snapping a picture and leaving like everyone else had that day. Even though I'm not a photographer myself, my tip would be to research how to do what you are doing to the best of your ability. Make sure you research lighting, what poses flatter most people, and whatever you need to make sure that your subject looks the best that he or she possibly can. Most of the time, they will be happy that you took the time to make them look good, and will thank you for it. ^^
MermaidRizu is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-12-2011, 10:54 PM   #32
tfcreate
Behind the lens since 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by MermaidRizu View Post
I'm not a photographer, but I wanted to share an instance where I thought a photographer at a con really knew what he was doing:

I was sitting in front of a window at Anime Boston around sunset, so the light was different than usual, and a photographer came up to me and said "Oh, wow...the way the light is hitting you right now is perfect, could I have a picture please?"

I said sure, and stood up to pose for him, and he proceeded to tell me exactly how to pose so that the light would hit me in the best way possible. (No, he wasn't trying to get a panty shot, I was in a big poofy dress anyway XD) He really knew what he was doing, and the picture looked beautiful when he showed it to me! ^^ Which is a rare thing, I'm not very photogenic. XD Looking back, I wish I had asked him to send it to me, it was a really nice picture...

Anyway, it made me happy that this guy really cared about making me look the best that I possibly could, instead of just snapping a picture and leaving like everyone else had that day. Even though I'm not a photographer myself, my tip would be to research how to do what you are doing to the best of your ability. Make sure you research lighting, what poses flatter most people, and whatever you need to make sure that your subject looks the best that he or she possibly can. Most of the time, they will be happy that you took the time to make them look good, and will thank you for it. ^^

There are some poses that simply beg to be taken. Often we aren't open to them because we are "looking too hard" for them. Some of the best shots are made not because we look for them, but because they just "happen."

Rules for life: Rule #7
Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you are.
Anime Midwest Anime Chicago Chicago Comicon
Anime Iowa
tfcreate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2011, 06:06 PM   #33
cabusi

nicely written. I like the "Be Nice" part.

and if all else fails; bring a low light lens and bokeh the background to hell >
cabusi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2011, 01:05 PM   #34
fallenone121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av4rice View Post
1) Don't forget to eat--you'll need the fuel.
2) Eat when everyone else is eating. You're going to be missing part of your floor time no matter what, so you might as well make it the time when the crowd is thinnest anyway.
I wish I had thought of that when I went to Fanime 09. I ate prior to the convention the night before and then didnt eat again until day two when I felt sluggish and starving. And the best I did - Pocky!

Day three I joined a group of people who went to Arbys and was so nervous about it being my first con that I didnt eat more than the fries and a few bites of the sandwich.

I didnt eat real food again until the day after con.

Food is important!
Honey - Ouran High School Host Club (90%)
Mal Reynolds - Firefly / Serenity (10%)
Commander Shepard - Mass Effect (0%)
Spike - Cowboy Bebop (0%)
fallenone121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2011, 08:15 PM   #35
levelsixtyseven

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenone121 View Post
I wish I had thought of that when I went to Fanime 09. I ate prior to the convention the night before and then didnt eat again until day two when I felt sluggish and starving. And the best I did - Pocky!

Day three I joined a group of people who went to Arbys and was so nervous about it being my first con that I didnt eat more than the fries and a few bites of the sandwich.

I didnt eat real food again until the day after con.

Food is important!
I remember forgetting to eat. Horrible mistake. I ran on 3 energy drinks a day I was shooting some cosplayers.

Note to self: Eat food and bring energy drinks!

Energy drinks I find save me in situations. They get me alert and I'm able to work with clients a lot better. (because I'm awake!)
Unread 04-28-2011, 10:24 PM   #36
RickyFromVegas
Cosplaying Photographer

Don't be intimidated by professional photographers.

At big conventions such as AX, there are plethora of Professional Photographers.
They bring many expensive tools and equipments to achieve the best picture possible.
Most of us aren't like that. We just have our cameras and hoping to get a shot where it isn't blurry.

To amateur photographers such as myself, we often find ourselves intimidated and avoid taking time to stop and take good photos. Especially if the Cosplayer is popular, you find yourself only taking a shot or two before other "professional photographers" occupy model's time with their expensive lenses and blah blah.
Don't be shy and ask the Cosplayer if you can take some of their time and take a photo.

Order business cards with your name, phone number and e-mail address on it prior to the convention.

Hand them out to your models after the shoot. Talk to them about their characters, time spent on the costume and such.

Be memorable.

Oh, if you are using flash, avoid aiming directly at the model
Not only it can ruin your photo, it'll mess with the model's eyes, making it unpleasant to be photographed.
Get a bounce flash, and bounce light off the ceiling, walls, and even people.

Last edited by RickyFromVegas : 04-28-2011 at 10:28 PM.
RickyFromVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2011, 10:47 AM   #37
Scorpion89
The Master

Business cards are one of the items I also make sure i order a new box before Otakon one thing I can stress folks been shooting for close to 35 Years of shooting is to make sure you give the model a way for them to contact you so they can see the shot.

One other item I would like to pass along for all concern and this happen last year at Otakon is to have some sort of a back up plan if the photoshot goes wrong IE Fire Alarm which basically killed all of the afternoon photo session at Otakon last year. Also another item from Otakon last year if you decide to do photo's down near the Waterfalls please don't get into the pools the Police don't like that and it's posted also last year I saw a few folks get ticket because they didn't follow the rules.
Scorpion89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2011, 02:08 PM   #38
doukana

Blotting papers - brilliant. Nothing is harder for me to remove in post than that nose shine.
doukana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 05:06 AM   #39
letfightinglove
What's a desu?

Thank you for the useful tips! I plan on using them at next years con.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doukana View Post
Blotting papers - brilliant. Nothing is harder for me to remove in post than that nose shine.
Oh boy, the dreaded nose shine. Don't get me started... D:
letfightinglove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 06:44 AM   #40
Ashurachan
now behind the lens

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyFromVegas View Post
At big conventions such as AX, there are plethora of Professional Photographers.
They bring many expensive tools and equipments to achieve the best picture possible.
Most of us aren't like that. We just have our cameras and hoping to get a shot where it isn't blurry.
Don't mistake "person with a lot of equipment" and "professionnal photographer". Someone who has good photography equipment does not necessarily earn money with it.
Actually, most cosplay photographers with a big DSLR, flashes and the like, are amateurs who are passionnate enough to buy this expensive equipment for their hobby.
Ashurachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 09:50 AM   #41
Eriol
Chiaroscuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashurachan View Post
Don't mistake "person with a lot of equipment" and "professionnal photographer". Someone who has good photography equipment does not necessarily earn money with it. Actually, most cosplay photographers with a big DSLR, flashes and the like, are amateurs who are passionate enough to buy this expensive equipment for their hobby.
+9000

With DSLR cameras becoming more affordable and more people jumping on the Strobist (tm) bandwagon, there are going to be a lot of hobbyists with good equipment running around at conventions.

2012 Convention Schedule
Steampunk Worlds Fair | Otakon
Eriol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 01:10 PM   #42
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

Be selective about your angles. If you want your photo to be more catching to the eye, think about what you want and don't want in your photo. Choose a more telephoto lens to concentrate on one, two, or three cosplayers. This will help you crop out distracting background elements, like other cosplayers in the background. Get down, low if the ceilings are interesting, but usually avoid your subjects to look down at you (This can create double chins and bags under the eyes). Let them look off camera, or over your lens. That can make a pose look more heroic, or have a dominant, evil effect.

Last edited by brucer007 : 07-20-2011 at 02:41 PM.
brucer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2011, 06:47 PM   #43
indienate
IndieNate

I'm probably in the minority with this but when it comes to photoshoots I don't use any sort of flash based equipment. I just find it more interesting to hunt down spots with interesting lighting or scenery than stand around configuring lights trying to get that one perfect shot. It forces you to be creative and work with what you got. Keep in mind this is just me.
indienate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2011, 07:46 AM   #44
401flightcranks

Lots of usefult itps here.
401flightcranks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2011, 12:33 AM   #45
suiseiusagi
[enterwittyphrasehere]

Oooh those are wonderful tips! Even for someone like me, who really just cosplays.

I've always felt much better about getting my picture taken if the photographer-
1) Has a pose/ location in mind
2) Gives me their card
3) Offers to show me the picture they just took
4) Tells me if something in the pose I did isn't working and can be improved

Maybe it's just me, but these things always made me view the photographer as friendly and interactive (instead of a stop-shoot-run kind of thing lol), with a real interest in getting a good picture with me.
Blue Exorcist: Michelle Neuhaus
Code Geass: Princess Cornelia
Avatar/ Legend of Korra: Lin Beifong
suiseiusagi is offline   Reply With Quote