Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Tutorials

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-06-2012, 05:51 PM   #46
radish-growing

Thank you!!

All of these tips in an easy to read format are so incredibly helpful!

I have been most worried about photographing at a con venue, and finding a good location for photo shoots. This helps a lot!
UK's Flying Mint Bunny (Hetalia): 60%
Iceland (Hetalia): 30%

Cosplay & Photography
DA: radish-growing

Ichi-go Ichi-e. One time, one meeting.
radish-growing is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-07-2012, 03:20 AM   #47
aMURica
Doesn't Give Bad news

This whole thread has been an incredible help already! I'm always struggling to get nice shots in the dim hallways at conventions.

Next Cons:Otakon 2012 / AFO 13 - Now with portal Panels! / Anime Weekend Atlanta 2012

Next Cosplays: Fancy Dreamer Sollux -90% / Magicastuck John Egbert - 15% /Human Wheatley - 80%

Selling stuff: Here.
aMURica is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2012, 03:10 AM   #48
Zerelixon
Cheshire's Grin

I love this thread There are so many great tips and tricks here! Usually I'm just the kind to bring a small pocket camera and take a picture of costumes I find impressive, but since I cosplay myself and is a bit to shy to make too much out of it, I just ask if I can have a picture, shoot one, and leave it at that.
But over the last year I have become much more interested in photographing and I practice a lot, so perhaps I will follow some of these tips and try to make more out of the con photos for Desucon this year. I will be wearing a dreadfully comfy cosplay then anyway (tracksuit and trainers ), so it will be easy to move around at least.
Desucon:7 - Zelman Clock (Black Blood Brothers)

Cosplays planned for 2013:
Uppcon:13 - Farron (OC)
Azure Kite (.hack//Roots/G.U)
Zerelixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2012, 11:14 PM   #49
MrParadox
Friend or Foe

Thanks for the tips. I was debating for a while and finally decided to take serious photoshoots at conventions this year.

For me, I use flash but I often try to take it both flash and nonflash. I will admit that it works sometimes but flash photography is not something you should rely on, often lighting is better than using flash as it sometimes distorts the background, especially at a big place. I also agree that being nice does make a big difference. You don't want to act rude when you ask someone for your picture and even if they agree to do it, sometimes the emotion would kill the picture in the end.

To fellow photographers, how long does it take for you to adjust to the right angle before taking the picture? One thing I'm afraid of is wasting too much time on getting the right pose for the cosplayer as well as the background before they get upset.
Unread 02-03-2012, 03:57 PM   #50
Sammyzilla

Excellent tips! Thank you!
Sammyzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2012, 12:56 PM   #51
Yume Nezumi
Duo cosplayer since 2005

MrParadox: in answer to the time question - My girlfriend and I have different styles when doing con photography, especially in the hallways. I take mostly simple pictures, aiming at capturing the person's cosplay in a decent setting. I usually get a full-body and a bust or waist-up shot. My girlfriend, on the other hand, will take time to find just the right dynamic angle to get a real artistic shot out of it. She'll also occasionally ask the person to pose a certain way, especially if they're unsure how to pose themselves. Sometimes people seem a bit awkward with this, but mostly people seem happy with the outcome either way.

Now, I have a question myself. The two of us are working on becoming better known for our con photography, notably by doing things like holding a panel where people can come and get their pictures taken in a neutral setting (aka an empty panel room). We're both using digital point-and-shoots, and we don't really have the money for any fancy lighting equipment. But I hate the look of photos with on-board flash. If I were to just get a spot-light-style lamp and aim it at the photo area, would that work as a good make-shift lighting in a decently-lit room?
Unread 02-06-2012, 08:33 AM   #52
Ashurachan
now behind the lens

Problem is, different light sources don't mix well.
So adding your own light to a somewhat well lit place is actually worse than just having your own light, because color temperature generally won't be the same. Typically, fluorescent lights and daylight don't mix well ; since flashes mimic daylight, if you want to use them under fluorescent lights you have two choices :
- either use flashes at high power in order to overpower existing fluorescent lights
- or gel flashes in order to match fluorescent lights in color temperature.

Before buying lights however, I would buy a real camera (as in, a DSLR).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrParadox View Post
To fellow photographers, how long does it take for you to adjust to the right angle before taking the picture? One thing I'm afraid of is wasting too much time on getting the right pose for the cosplayer as well as the background before they get upset.
Cosplayers will only lose patience if you stop communicating. If a pose is comfortable enough, if you keep speaking while shooting, make them change expression or correct their pose, they'll be okay. Most cosplayers I've met are very patient in order to get good pictures of their costume.

Last edited by Ashurachan : 02-06-2012 at 08:37 AM.
Ashurachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2012, 07:50 PM   #53
NaughtsApproach

I've got a question about getting into the cosplay photography area...
I do not have a DSLR...would love one..but as a cliche starving art collage student, money is tight, and i will not be able to afford one for a long time. I do have a pocket camera that takes very good pictures though.

So i am wondering...how do i get people to take me seriously as a photographer, when i have this little camera, but i am surrounded by photographers with professional DSLRs. How do i get people to opt for me taking their pictures in a small photo shoot over Mr. awesome camera next to me?

Western CO Cosplay group

:Website:
http://futagocosplay.wix.com/futagocosplay

:FaceBook page:
http://www.facebook.com/WeAreFutagoCosplay

Take a look at our pages!<3

OR My personal business page for any interest in Commissions
http://www.facebook.com/allisonsCustomCostumes
NaughtsApproach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2012, 04:15 AM   #54
Ashurachan
now behind the lens

I think the best approach at first is just to ask cosplayers for pictures during cons and get to know them... If you don't have fancy equipment, networking is the best way to get people to shoot with you, and if they like what they see when you give them the photos, they'll gladly pose for you next time.
I do have a DSLR, but compared to the guys next to me, it can look very modest (I often only have my camera body with a small prime on it, when others have a big zoom, lightstands and the like). However, cosplayers know and trust me to take good pictures of them, so I get plenty people to shoot with me
Ashurachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2012, 12:52 PM   #55
NaughtsApproach

That is good to know. Thank you. I suppose i will have to start taking pictures of my sis in her cosplays to get some material to show people.

Western CO Cosplay group

:Website:
http://futagocosplay.wix.com/futagocosplay

:FaceBook page:
http://www.facebook.com/WeAreFutagoCosplay

Take a look at our pages!<3

OR My personal business page for any interest in Commissions
http://www.facebook.com/allisonsCustomCostumes
NaughtsApproach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2012, 03:22 PM   #56
Foques

Here is what I am curious about..

in the sample images, I see the OC lighting.. What kind of OC mounting solutions is OP using?
Obviously, I dragging alien bees to a con is not an option, so i'd be sticking with SB's.. but.. what about mounting? I guess i'm just lazy and not wanting to drag the flash stands with me..
Foques is offline   Reply With Quote