Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Unread 05-22-2014, 08:28 PM   #1
KVN

My Photo Stolen by Another Photographer(s)

I have heard of this happening, and quite frankly, at this point in my "career," which encompasses a whole two conventions, one of which I only stayed 3 hours at, I never actually thought anyone would take one of my photos and credit themselves with it. That is until now. I just found one my photos on someone else's facebook and a claim that they took it. The original photo is still up on the facebook of the cosplayer I shot, with my name in credits, not theirs. The stolen photo is heavily edited by someone else and not the guy who claims credit for taking it. There's a new background, the weapon the cosplayer was holding has been replaced with a neat looking photoshop one. It actually had a lot more potential to look better if they didn't put in weird shadows on her face. The finished photo is now tagged by the guy who edited it. Both the editor and photographer know each other, evidently. I don't know how many thieves there are here, one or two, LOL. Veterans stealing from newbs has got to be the lowest blow. I just can't imagine ever doing that. Forget about the ethics of stealing for a moment and let's ask the question of why you would take credit for something from someone who's skill level and experience is that much lesser than yours? That's a head scratcher right there. I suppose it's my own fault for not embedding a copyright in my photos. I actually started doing this after my last event.
KVN is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-23-2014, 09:07 AM   #2
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

Send them a message asking them to credit you for the original photo, and asking them to only take credit for the editing. If they refuse, you can report the photo and Facebook may take it down.

I've had it happen a couple times in the cosplay scene, and MANY times in the burlesque/drag scene. Drag queens seem to be THE WORRRSSSTT at this, especially when using photos for self-promotion and show flyers. My stance: If it's just being used for fun and self-promotion (I count show flyers as the latter), it's not worth spending energy to chase it down and slap wrists. It takes a lot of effort, there's no money to be gained from it, and it's damaging to existing or potential relationships.

If it's being used by a business for commercial gain, it's a different story - at a minimum, I'm sending a usage invoice; but if my watermark or other identifying information have been intentionally cropped/stripped/obscured, then it's a whole new kettle of fish. (does anyone say kettle of fish any more?)

http://www.photoattorney.com/2007/07...your-ears.html

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2014, 06:32 PM   #3
KVN

Yeah, I plan on doing that. Thanks for the link and the warning against the drag scene, lol.
Unread 05-25-2014, 03:32 AM   #4
TykeJack
envisageu.deviantart.com

I understand if you're reluctant, but could you link the photos in question? It might be worth getting a second opinion since many times cosplayers use the same pose for their photos and sometimes the images can come out looking the same. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that it might be worth having a different pair of trained eyes look at it. Whatever you think is best.

Nathan, "can of worms" maybe, but "kettle of fish" is new to me.
TykeJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2014, 08:02 PM   #5
KVN

Oh no, it's mine alright. Just in case I forget to mention it the photographer who's claiming credit doesn't have my original photo on his facebook. That's just too blatant. What he does have is the newly edited version on his facebook, which is he taking credit for taking. I'll pm anyone the links to the before and after photos, it's really not an issue, so just ask.
Unread 05-27-2014, 08:31 AM   #6
Foques

I'm curious how this will play out.. I typically not allow for my images to be edited either.
Unread 06-20-2014, 03:00 AM   #7
sukotsuto
Just call me Scott (^_^)

Unless there is money being passed around or somehow profit being made, I don't care much if individuals edit web versions of photos I post. I was doing that a while with my friends on Facebook by switching out the background with one of explosions.
Unread 06-28-2014, 11:24 AM   #8
KVN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foques View Post
I'm curious how this will play out.. I typically not allow for my images to be edited either.
I finally had the time to contact the guy who edited the photo, but after several days he still has not gotten back to me, which is as good as being complicit in the theft, which he probably wasn't involved in to begin with. For the record, I never asked for him to take down the photo just that proper credit should be given. It's unfathomable that anyone would ignore a request like that and potentially damage their own reputation, but it seems that's how it's playing out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukotsuto View Post
Unless there is money being passed around or somehow profit being made, I don't care much if individuals edit web versions of photos I post. I was doing that a while with my friends on Facebook by switching out the background with one of explosions.
It's fine if they want to edit it, but no one should be taking credit for taking the photo. What you're essentially doing is shitting on your own profession, hobby and talent, if not integrity by doing so.
Unread 06-28-2014, 03:01 PM   #9
sukotsuto
Just call me Scott (^_^)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVN View Post
What you're essentially doing is shitting on your own profession, hobby and talent, if not integrity by doing so.
I'm not sure how I can even respond to a statement so drama filled. Like I said, if there is a professional (monetary) reason, that's fine. I'd have to see the original post to give my opinion on it. If they did take credit for the photo itself, then sure.
Unread 06-29-2014, 10:00 AM   #10
KVN

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukotsuto View Post
I'm not sure how I can even respond to a statement so drama filled. Like I said, if there is a professional (monetary) reason, that's fine. I'd have to see the original post to give my opinion on it. If they did take credit for the photo itself, then sure.
Isn't that precisely what the first post in this thread is about? It's about one photographer taking credit for someone else's photo, specifically mine. I can live with the edit, although quite frankly it's disrespectful to go around editing and tagging other people's photos without their permission and even more so when credit is not given even when requested. That's actually the biggest rub. I imagine the editor would not be very pleased if someone decided to re-edit his work, remove his tag and place their own on the newly re-edited photo. Every person who does this is shitting on their own hobby and integrity. Call it drama if you want, but it's no less the truth. If you don't respect the hobby then I can see your point. Not every photographer does, the fact that two photographers stole and edited my photo is proof of that.
Unread 06-30-2014, 01:58 PM   #11
sukotsuto
Just call me Scott (^_^)

Quote:
Isn't that precisely what the first post in this thread is about? It's about one photographer taking credit for someone else's photo, specifically mine. I can live with the edit, although quite frankly it's disrespectful to go around editing and tagging other people's photos without their permission and even more so when credit is not given even when requested. That's actually the biggest rub. I imagine the editor would not be very pleased if someone decided to re-edit his work, remove his tag and place their own on the newly re-edited photo. Every person who does this is shitting on their own hobby and integrity. Call it drama if you want, but it's no less the truth. If you don't respect the hobby then I can see your point. Not every photographer does, the fact that two photographers stole and edited my photo is proof of that.
It's difficult to follow the discussion desires of your original posting. It doesn't show who the veteran photographer is or the original photo in question. You emphasize the photo edits and talk about the details of what edits were done to the photo, which is what I was focusing on. It's the only thing with enough content in it to discuss.

I think anyone, photographer or otherwise, would agree that taking credit for a photo they didn't take is wrong. There isn't anything specific to cosplay photography in that debate. There isn't anything to discuss about that without more to show us. So whether your thread is precisely about that or not, what else can we say? Yeah it sucks. It sucks even more if you are new to the convention scene. It sucks big time that someone with a following and experience would use some random photo when they have the gear and experience to take their own photos.

We want to help you. If we knew who this photographer was, we could likely provide context or personal experiences to further the discussion and maybe even do something to fix the problem.
Unread 06-30-2014, 03:13 PM   #12
KVN

I am more than happy to provide their names, websites, and photos in question, but I have yet to figure out if doing so is against the rules here. What is everyone's thoughts on doing this?
Unread 06-30-2014, 11:36 PM   #13
TykeJack
envisageu.deviantart.com

Quote:
I am more than happy to provide their names, websites, and photos in question, but I have yet to figure out if doing so is against the rules here. What is everyone's thoughts on doing this?
Rules, what rules? I think the mods gave up on this site a long ass time ago.
TykeJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2014, 02:41 PM   #14
sukotsuto
Just call me Scott (^_^)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TykeJack View Post
Rules, what rules? I think the mods gave up on this site a long ass time ago.
There are some pinned rules in this sub-forum, but none of it relates to what we are talking about. Seems like kind of a gray area, but I don't think it is bad to call these guys out for what they are doing.

KVN showed me the photos and it is as he was saying. The cosplayer's fan page has the photo with attribution to one person (KVN) and then the photo (with strong photoshopping) is on this editor/photog guy's page along with photo taking attribution to someone else. It wasn't a mistake because they talk about how great the photographer is for taking the photo. It's all pretty blatant. They are from a different area than I am, so I have no idea who they are or what their reputations are.

Last edited by sukotsuto : 07-01-2014 at 02:53 PM.
sukotsuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2014, 11:30 AM   #15
sukotsuto
Just call me Scott (^_^)

Edited photo:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Original photo:
https://www.facebook.com/NoireCospla...type=3&theater

Last edited by sukotsuto : 07-02-2014 at 10:56 PM. Reason: fixed the links
sukotsuto is offline   Reply With Quote