Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Unread 04-08-2015, 08:04 PM   #1
LuzzlyHikari

A Few Questions?

ok, i am still very new to this site so idk what part to post this but i hope this is ok, if it isnt I am REALLY sorry. Anywas i have a few questions idk if they fit here or not like i said but here they are:

1) When cosplaying, and taking pictures, how do you know what scenery you want?

2) When taking a video shoot (like cosplay video not tutorial but like fun at the mall or whatever), how is it even when people stare at you? And when doing your own cosplay show series, or cosplay fan made trailer for your fave anime or show or movie, how do you plan it out and with the scenes how you plan that out?

3) When you are doing your own cosplay series and if theres two genders doing diff genders in the show, like for example a girl is playing a girl and another girl is doing the boy, how do you feel about when a kissing scene comes up if there is?

4) What apps do you use for pictures of your cosplay if you use a app?

I think this is all i have, I am just curious and I tried to explain the questions best I can! hope im not bothering anybody with this...

Unread 04-09-2015, 12:26 PM   #2
Access

1) You work with what you have. For instance, if you are at a convention, you'll generally just try to find a place that is nearby, shady, and away from the crowds. If you are at a public park, somewhere safe but also with a good background. And if it is a shoot with friends planned beforehand, you'll try to find a place in the neighborhood that makes sense regarding the show and characters; it might be a playground, front of a school, a historic structure, nature trail, shopping mall, apartment complex, etc. Google maps and street view can be helpful if you aren't too familiar with the area.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2015, 12:29 PM   #3
Av4rice
shameless photo whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuzzlyHikari View Post
When cosplaying, and taking pictures, how do you know what scenery you want?
Think about the source material. What the character is like, what they do, what kinds of scenes they show up in, and what other scenes might be plausible. Use your imagination to think about where you could see that character fitting in, and match that up against your memory of what you have available.

Quote:
When taking a video shoot (like cosplay video not tutorial but like fun at the mall or whatever), how is it even when people stare at you?
Not sure what you mean by "how is it". You've got a job to do. You're there to make a good video, and not necessarily to look normal. It's not really going to affect your social life if some stranger thinks you're weird for a few seconds, and they're probably just going to forget in the next few minutes anyway. If bystanders aren't in the way and you aren't in their way, you can ignore them.

Quote:
And when doing your own cosplay show series, or cosplay fan made trailer for your fave anime or show or movie, how do you plan it out and with the scenes how you plan that out?
Script, storyboard, and shot list. Here's a good tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwtpJ3T8eK4

Quote:
When you are doing your own cosplay series and if theres two genders doing diff genders in the show, like for example a girl is playing a girl and another girl is doing the boy, how do you feel about when a kissing scene comes up if there is?
I think that's mostly up for the actors to decide what they're comfortable with. Or is this question directed at the cosplayers/actors?

The best you can do from behind the camera is make sure everyone is informed ahead of time what you're planning, and make sure everyone is okay with it. If you need to make a change, that's something you want to anticipate in advance.

Quote:
What apps do you use for pictures of your cosplay if you use a app?
I mostly post to flickr via web. I don't really use any apps currently for uploading.
Unread 04-09-2015, 03:10 PM   #4
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

Agreed with most of the above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av4rice View Post
Think about the source material. What the character is like, what they do, what kinds of scenes they show up in, and what other scenes might be plausible. Use your imagination to think about where you could see that character fitting in, and match that up against your memory of what you have available.
Agreed.

Note that not every good cosplay photo has to be in a grand or elaborate or faraway setting. Some on-location photos like that are great, for sure, but you can still get a great cosplay portrait in a simple setting, as long as it doesn't detract or distract from the character.

Quote:
Script, storyboard, and shot list. Here's a good tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwtpJ3T8eK4

I think that's mostly up for the actors to decide what they're comfortable with. Or is this question directed at the cosplayers/actors?

The best you can do from behind the camera is make sure everyone is informed ahead of time what you're planning, and make sure everyone is okay with it. If you need to make a change, that's something you want to anticipate in advance.
Agreed. Plan, script, and storyboard in advance. Make sure everyone involved knows what to expect.

Don't just spring "NOW KISS" on your actors/cosplayers if they weren't expecting it.

Quote:
I mostly post to flickr via web. I don't really use any apps currently for uploading.
I maintain my photo library in Lightroom, and have plugins that allow me to publish directly to Facebook, Flickr, Zenfolio, or a variety of other places.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2015, 04:55 PM   #5
LuzzlyHikari

This isnt really what I am asking how to do i just wnat your thoughts about it thanks so much for the info guys!