Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Unread 08-03-2015, 11:02 PM   #1
StarsOfCassiopeia
Sparkle & Shine!

Special Effects: Smoke Bombs?

Hello friends!

I've seen a bunch of cosplay pictures lately that utilize smoke bombs (such as this and this) in really cool ways.

Was curious to know if any of you had tried them before & had tips for using them in shoots (ex, how many to buy, average smoking time, etc), or what brands to look at purchasing! Hoping to maybe try this out before the summer is over.

Thanks all.
  • Labelle (Animal Crossing New Leaf): 1% (Planning) AniMore 2015
  • Pyrrha Nikos (RWBY): 1% (Planning) Katsucon 2015

DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook
StarsOfCassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-04-2015, 01:44 AM   #2
WonJohnSoup
Cosplay Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsOfCassiopeia View Post
Hello friends!

I've seen a bunch of cosplay pictures lately that utilize smoke bombs (such as this and this) in really cool ways.

Was curious to know if any of you had tried them before & had tips for using them in shoots (ex, how many to buy, average smoking time, etc), or what brands to look at purchasing! Hoping to maybe try this out before the summer is over.

Thanks all.
I haven't used smoke bombs but other than the fact that you wouldn't need an assistant it doesn't sound like a the greatest idea for several reasons. One being the smell, two the danger, three the soot it might leave the costume and four the smoke doesn't look that great imo.

I use smoke in a can that's designed for actual motion picture use and it's pretty cheap. You can aim it in just the area you want, it hangs in the air well, doesn't smell that bad so it doesn't bother the model and it looks better to me.
http://www.reelefx.com/index.php?c=product.view&id=21
http://www.filmtools.com/diffusionincan.html

This was a shoot I used it recently in:

Anime California 2015 Panels

Saturday, Aug29th: Tips for Cosplay Photography 9:45am - 11:15am LP3 - OC Ballroom 4
Sunday Aug30th: Posing for Cosplay Photos 11:45am to 1:45pm LP3 - OC Ballroom 4
WonJohnSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2015, 07:30 AM   #3
StarsOfCassiopeia
Sparkle & Shine!

Oh cool! The smoke in a can sounds like a great alternative to achieve the same effect. Might very well give that a go!
  • Labelle (Animal Crossing New Leaf): 1% (Planning) AniMore 2015
  • Pyrrha Nikos (RWBY): 1% (Planning) Katsucon 2015

DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook
StarsOfCassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2015, 09:08 AM   #4
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

I haven't used either one for outdoors, but I've had pretty good luck with a cheap-O party fog machine for indoor shots.

My cheap fog machine will make a small amount of fog that makes discrete wisps and rising curls. It's a little flaky to use (it only runs when you mash the button about 75% of the time) but I love the effects it makes.
My "big" fog machine will fill a room with haze, which is a totally different look. (and it'll set off the smoke alarm if you try to haze up the house for my Halloween party, but that's a different story).

It's important to remember this part of the description from the "Haze in a Can:"
"Back lighting and position of lighting will determine how thick the haze or fog will look. Colored lights will enhance color of complete cloud, haze or fog."

For the most dramatic smoke and fog effect, put a light behind the fog, just out of frame, pointed forward in the general direction of the camera. Use a colored gel on the light to get really cool color effects.

I can't link directly to it from here, but if you look in my Flickr (see signature), go into the "Dragoncon 2013" album, there are some Wicked Witch photos where I used my little fog machine. It was pouring rain outside, so we just shot them in my hotel room with the hotel drape for a backdrop.

Also note: If you want low-lying ground fog, you'll use a fog machine and a fog chiller: It's a box of ice which will chill the fog so it's cooler/denser/heavier than the ambient air, so it'll creep along the ground.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote