Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Unread 03-18-2015, 09:57 AM   #1
Killerangel666
You have Cheetohs?

Help please, I need a new camera

Hey guys, my camera (a kodak, and you can't buy parts for them sense they went under apparently) went kaput so I need a new one. I was hoping someone on here could help me out with suggesting a camera. My price range is about $120.

What I'll be doing with the camera is mainly cosplay shots and pics of my family, my dog, whatever catches my eye. I want great shots with a clean picture (my kodak started getting really grainy -I think some of the sites called it 'noise', I was attempting to look up the basics of photography to get an idea of what would be a good camera).

I will not be carrying umteen lenses and a huge case with me.
Video recording is not a need be.
I'd prefer buttons rather than a touch screen.
One thing i did like about my kodak was it had this menu with lighting options and a few of those options mimicked black and white photos and my favorite was called sepia, it gave the shots a really neat older feel, which was great for some shots of a mini graveyard I made.

Any help will be greatly appreciated and if ya'll need more info just ask
Killerangel666 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-18-2015, 04:07 PM   #2
Av4rice
shameless photo whore

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=82941

http://snapsort.com/recommend#!gener...type=digi cam

You'd have to quadruple your budget to get decent low light noise performance, or more for truly good noise performance. A better solution for you would be to simply seek out scenes with more/better light, so your camera won't have to struggle with a noisy high ISO to give you a usable exposure. That's by far the most impactful thing you can do to compensate for the disadvantages of cheaper equipment. Take a look at the best cosplay photos you've seen and notice that they all use daylight (either outside or through windows/skylights) and/or off-camera flash.
Unread 03-18-2015, 04:47 PM   #3
Access

All I know is you might be able to find a really old Rebel like an XTi with the kit lens for $100., that may or may not be a good starting point depending on what you are looking for. Because ultimately that will be the larger camera and at least one additional lens route.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2015, 10:41 PM   #4
Killerangel666
You have Cheetohs?

Thanks for the tips guys! I do want to reword something though, the camera I had was about a hundred bucks (i got it on sale) anyway with the right lighting -and in some lucky dimmer shots- the photos were great. And then one day I turned it on and the shutter wouldn't open, when it finally did every pic I took after was grainy and splotchy. What I'm worried about is picking out a camera that no matter what lighting it takes crappy pics. I don't think I worded this concern right earlier lol sorry thanks again!
Unread 03-18-2015, 10:49 PM   #5
Killerangel666
You have Cheetohs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av4rice View Post
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=82941

http://snapsort.com/recommend#!gener...type=digi cam

You'd have to quadruple your budget to get decent low light noise performance, or more for truly good noise performance. A better solution for you would be to simply seek out scenes with more/better light, so your camera won't have to struggle with a noisy high ISO to give you a usable exposure. That's by far the most impactful thing you can do to compensate for the disadvantages of cheaper equipment. Take a look at the best cosplay photos you've seen and notice that they all use daylight (either outside or through windows/skylights) and/or off-camera flash.
That snapsort sight is awesome, I'm assuming the first camera is the best based on the info that's entered into the filter? Thanks again
Unread 03-19-2015, 11:37 AM   #6
Av4rice
shameless photo whore

Yes, the site is ranking them. But at that price there are a lot of very close competitors so basically everything on the whole first page is pretty good.