Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-22-2010, 12:21 PM   #151
Bloody Kaycee
Kaycee

Photo credits

My friend is always the one who handles my camera whenever we have a shoot ( a private one since there are only three of us).

My question is who gets the credits for the photo? My friend who took the shot or me who owns the camera?
Bloody Kaycee is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-22-2010, 12:25 PM   #152
peiqinglong
Pro Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody Kaycee View Post
My friend is always the one who handles my camera whenever we have a shoot ( a private one since there are only three of us).

My question is who gets the credits for the photo? My friend who took the shot or me who owns the camera?
Your friend who took the shot. It would be the same as a photographer who rents his/her equipment, the copyright lies with the photographer. But here's the other thing that is oft not talked about: collaboration. I usually work with my group of photographers to craft shots, run ideas, and they assist me quite a bit for photoshoots. I definitely feel they have a hand in helping me craft the shot and I definitely give them credit for that, but at the end of the day, I took the shot, the copyright lies with me. On the flipside, I help out my other photographers quite a bit also and I feel they own the shot they took even if I helped do some posing or lighting. Hope this helps.

Become a fan on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
peiqinglong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2010, 08:18 PM   #153
tfcreate
Behind the lens since 68

Just as a reminder, this is the place to ask questions of a photographer. They don't allow "I need a photographer/photo shoot requests in this thread.
I thought that this was going to be a sticky.

Rules for life: Rule #7
Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you are.
Anime Midwest Anime Chicago Chicago Comicon
Anime Iowa
tfcreate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 07:35 PM   #154
Hcoregamer00
PMX/Otakorp/Lunar Fest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgetalife View Post
Is it rude to suggest wanting a certain shot to a photographer? I really have a problem stepping on artist's toes. Also, when should I suggest these shots?
If anything it is much easier to tell the photographer what shot you want to take. Let the photographer know what kind of shots you prefer and if you want a sort of theme in your photo shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombgirl View Post
Question: How do you feel about photographing newb cosplayers?
Newb cosplayers are just fine, it takes a little bit longer because they are nervous, but it is just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arijahn View Post
Here's a question for you all: I've had photographers who stopped me in the hall at a convention give me a buisiness card after taking the picture. How about the flip side? I don't have much, but I keep all of my stuff on a deviantart account. If I was to give it to them after they take the pic, would a photographer be interested in a business card with the account address on it, or would that come off as self-important?
I recently opened a DeviantArt (and joined this forum) because cosplayers asked me to connect with them more. If anything, I think getting a business card from a cosplayer would be great, especially if they want to be friends.

Photography Blog, dA, FB Fan Page, Personal Blog

Future Cons: Anime Los Angeles, Otakon Vegas
Hcoregamer00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2010, 03:50 AM   #155
AleriaCarventus
Your mother's table!

Here's a question: Leaving photoshoots aside, just focusing on 'hall pictures', are you more likely to take a picture if the person is attractive, or if their costume's well done?

A lot of the photographers at our con seem to focus on the attractive-ness of the cosplayer, including my own friend who was in charge of who we were taking pictures of. I'd see a cosplayer from a series I knew she liked, and she'd wait and see if they were good looking or not before we took it.

I was just wondering if this is a general trend or not, because it sure makes me feel iffy about cosplaying a more mainstream series next year.
VCon - Daenerys Targaryen (GoT)

GottaCon - Jhoira of the Ghitu (M:tG)
TsukinoCon - Makise Kurisu (Stein's Gate)
AleriaCarventus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2010, 04:54 AM   #156
Fremen
Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleriaCarventus View Post
I was just wondering if this is a general trend or not, because it sure makes me feel iffy about cosplaying a more mainstream series next year.
I think, in general, photographers might prefer to take pictures of attractive people vs un-attractive people. But as far as cosplayers go, the costume should be a much bigger part of why you take someone's picture.
Currently attending Anime LA, Anime Expo, PMX and Anime Conji
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Fremen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2010, 02:00 AM   #157
Surfsama
Noob with a Nikon

Quote:
Here's a question: Leaving photoshoots aside, just focusing on 'hall pictures', are you more likely to take a picture if the person is attractive, or if their costume's well done?

A lot of the photographers at our con seem to focus on the attractive-ness of the cosplayer, including my own friend who was in charge of who we were taking pictures of. I'd see a cosplayer from a series I knew she liked, and she'd wait and see if they were good looking or not before we took it.

People take pictures of whatever interests them. It could be an, attractive person, a well-done costume, both, or neither. Most "Photographers" at cons are attendees with P&S's that tend to gravitate to attractive/sexy people. Not much different than what happens at other social events. Most "Con Photographers" tend to consider the whole package and others just enjoy capturing as many cosplayers as possible. Getting your picture taken is really a small part of the con experience and none of this should dissuade you from cosplaying whatever you feel like doing.
Surfsama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2010, 10:46 AM   #158
Hcoregamer00
PMX/Otakorp/Lunar Fest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfsama View Post
People take pictures of whatever interests them. It could be an, attractive person, a well-done costume, both, or neither. Most "Photographers" at cons are attendees with P&S's that tend to gravitate to attractive/sexy people. Not much different than what happens at other social events. Most "Con Photographers" tend to consider the whole package and others just enjoy capturing as many cosplayers as possible. Getting your picture taken is really a small part of the con experience and none of this should dissuade you from cosplaying whatever you feel like doing.
To be fair, the ubiquity of Digital SLR's nowadays makes it even harder for the casual cosplayer to tell the difference between someone who has talent and someone who just has money. I have seen some pretty talented people use some "bare bones" photography equipment. Likewise, I have seen some pretty high-end equipment bought by people who are new to the SLR world.

Unread 08-17-2010, 01:24 PM   #159
Surfsama
Noob with a Nikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcoregamer00 View Post
To be fair, the ubiquity of Digital SLR's nowadays makes it even harder for the casual cosplayer to tell the difference between someone who has talent and someone who just has money. I have seen some pretty talented people use some "bare bones" photography equipment. Likewise, I have seen some pretty high-end equipment bought by people who are new to the SLR world.
I absolutely agree. The basis of my statement was not to segregate photographers by their equipment but to, in very general terms separate the casual/attendee from the dedicated-con Photographer. I should have left-off the P&S reference.
Surfsama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2010, 03:35 PM   #160
Hcoregamer00
PMX/Otakorp/Lunar Fest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfsama View Post
I absolutely agree. The basis of my statement was not to segregate photographers by their equipment but to, in very general terms separate the casual/attendee from the dedicated-con Photographer. I should have left-off the P&S reference.
Maybe I didn't write it the right way, but my post was more of a compliment to yours. I was merely pointing out that the equipment used by a person taking pictures is not indicative of the level of skill.

I will admit, sometimes when I go to a huge event like Anime Expo I may get sucked into the atmosphere and take "tourist pictures" rather than "artsy pictures." So even a person with lots of experience may have their skill level decrease if they move to a "catch them all" mentality.

Unread 08-17-2010, 05:15 PM   #161
Eriol
Chiaroscuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcoregamer00 View Post
I will admit, sometimes when I go to a huge event like Anime Expo I may get sucked into the atmosphere and take "tourist pictures" rather than "artsy pictures." So even a person with lots of experience may have their skill level decrease if they move to a "catch them all" mentality.
I've started to migrate away from getting convention photographs precisely, because it allows me to improve my skill. With cosplayers roaming the convention and also being solicited for photos by others, it's impossible to have complete control of the background, composition, or lighting needed for striking photography. I need more quality than quantity at this point.

2012 Convention Schedule
Steampunk Worlds Fair | Otakon
Eriol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2010, 02:56 AM   #162
otterling
Phear the whiskers....

Quote:
Since "attractiveness" is a matter of tastes individual to each photographer, it shouldn't affect your cosplaying decision one way or the other. Play what you want and let the photographers figure out if they want the shot or not. At the end of the day, it should be about you having fun.

Personally, as someone who goes to a convention pretty much just for the photography aspect, I tend to gravitate toward whatever catches my eye, be that a pretty face or a pretty costume. Sometimes, I see someone I think is very pretty but they have a bad costume and I won't want that photo. Sometimes they are unattractive but the outfit is amazing so I want that shot. It just depends on what caught my eye. At the end of the day though I admit I will gravitate toward those I feel are "prettier" in the traditional sense if only because I am a visual person and I want to get artistic photos with those I feel are going to look the best in the picture, be that because their costume is visually appealing or because their face is. I'm human, I guess I'm a bit flawed that way if you want to see it like that. But the person's physical attractiveness is most definitely NOT the defining factor in my choices. At the end of the day, it's the whole package and someone's physical features might only be the small thing that sways me one way or the other.

Quote:
I've started to migrate away from getting convention photographs precisely, because it allows me to improve my skill. With cosplayers roaming the convention and also being solicited for photos by others, it's impossible to have complete control of the background, composition, or lighting needed for striking photography. I need more quality than quantity at this point.
Funny. I actually go to cons specifically to get better. Heh. I find it a challenge to try and take good photos with all that going against me because it pushes me as an artist to work outside my comfort zone. I like trying to find interesting ways to use the ambient lighting I have instead of being able to control it. I also like that I have to be very imaginative in how I frame a shot if I want to avoid a bunch of people in the back drop. I guess that's because I have a home studio set up and have worked in that a lot so I'm used to having the ability to just up and change my lighting on the fly. Much luck in your photographic endeavors!!
otterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2010, 10:35 AM   #163
Hcoregamer00
PMX/Otakorp/Lunar Fest

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterling View Post
Since "attractiveness" is a matter of tastes individual to each photographer, it shouldn't affect your cosplaying decision one way or the other. Play what you want and let the photographers figure out if they want the shot or not. At the end of the day, it should be about you having fun.

Personally, as someone who goes to a convention pretty much just for the photography aspect, I tend to gravitate toward whatever catches my eye, be that a pretty face or a pretty costume. Sometimes, I see someone I think is very pretty but they have a bad costume and I won't want that photo. Sometimes they are unattractive but the outfit is amazing so I want that shot. It just depends on what caught my eye. At the end of the day though I admit I will gravitate toward those I feel are "prettier" in the traditional sense if only because I am a visual person and I want to get artistic photos with those I feel are going to look the best in the picture, be that because their costume is visually appealing or because their face is. I'm human, I guess I'm a bit flawed that way if you want to see it like that. But the person's physical attractiveness is most definitely NOT the defining factor in my choices. At the end of the day, it's the whole package and someone's physical features might only be the small thing that sways me one way or the other.
That is a unique viewpoint for me as I am an anime fan more than anything else. I do cosplay photography, but I am a fan of the medium more than anything else. That's also why I staff at anime conventions, for the love of the medium of Anime and Manga.

Quote:
Funny. I actually go to cons specifically to get better. Heh. I find it a challenge to try and take good photos with all that going against me because it pushes me as an artist to work outside my comfort zone. I like trying to find interesting ways to use the ambient lighting I have instead of being able to control it. I also like that I have to be very imaginative in how I frame a shot if I want to avoid a bunch of people in the back drop. I guess that's because I have a home studio set up and have worked in that a lot so I'm used to having the ability to just up and change my lighting on the fly. Much luck in your photographic endeavors!!
I agree that it is a challenge and a great learning experience, venues like Anime Conventions allow me to experiment and get better.

Unread 08-18-2010, 11:22 AM   #164
Eriol
Chiaroscuro

Quote:
We differ on artistic goals. The technical learning doesn't change.

Convention photographs will improve you on a technical level, which is necessary if you are doing journalistic photographs (i.e. reporting the convention scene).

I am becoming more cognizant of what's around the convention and trying to find better backgrounds. I may still have to deal with the available light situation in that location, so that doesn't change my learning.

There is a deliberate artistic direction difference between this (at a con):
http://hcoregamer00.deviantart.com/#/d2vz5mr

and these (still at a con):
http://hcoregamer00.deviantart.com/#/d2vz581
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1895481/

The latter two are still taken at cons, but the background and lighting choices are very different than the first one.

2012 Convention Schedule
Steampunk Worlds Fair | Otakon
Eriol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2010, 11:50 AM   #165
Cobheran
Spelled with an F

delete this post please.

Last edited by Cobheran : 08-18-2010 at 11:52 AM. Reason: I am not Cobheran and did not realize he logged into my PC.
Cobheran is offline   Reply With Quote