Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-28-2011, 09:33 PM   #196
Hcoregamer00
Con Runner/Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by u.keita View Post
Is it weird for a cosplayer to ask a photographer if they could shoot them? Be it just themselves or a group of theirs?

It seems more like the other way around, the photographer asking the cosplayer so I was curious. o:
That normally never happens.

Normally I would take a picture, then show the cosplayer the picture. Sometimes the cosplayer would like the picture so much they would take the initiative and ask me to take a couple more. That happens quite a bit, and I am actually quite flattered when a cosplayer does it (because it means that my pictures are good).

Photography Blog, dA, FB Fan Page, Personal Blog

Future Cons: Anime Expo, San Diego Comic Con, Anime California (?), Comikaze Expo, Pacific Media Expo
Hcoregamer00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2011, 09:43 PM   #197
tfcreate
Behind the lens since 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJH-Photography View Post
From one photographer to another, when it comes to the issue of getting the cosplayer's permission to take and use their photo (like for a portfolio, website, etc) what would you say is the proper and or polite to get them to sign a model release? Ask them when you first approach them? Right after you've photographed them?

I'm not a big con-goer so hence why I'm not 100% sure
I don't use cosplayers as part of my portfolio. Nothing against the cosplayers, but I keep cosplay photography completely separate from my photographic work, so rights are not really an issue for me. I post the photos so the cosplayers can find them.

Quote:
Is it weird for a cosplayer to ask a photographer if they could shoot them? Be it just themselves or a group of theirs?

It seems more like the other way around, the photographer asking the cosplayer so I was curious. o:
It's not weird at all. I've seen it a lot.

TFC

Rules for life: Rule #7
Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you are.
Anime Midwest Anime Chicago Chicago Comicon
Anime Iowa
tfcreate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2011, 10:20 PM   #198
Access

Quote:

All depends on who you know, how many people know you. I get asked occasionally by people I know, not the norm but I wouldn't call it weird either, since it's a valid / reasonable request.

Someone who is well-known and easily recognized might even get asked by people they don't know, or just out of the blue, I've seen it happen. But it's rare.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2011, 01:55 AM   #199
Fremen
Photog

Quote:
At PMX, this happened to me once. A really neat cosplayer asked me to take a picture of her group. I was actually really surprised, but pleasantly surprised that she did that. I'm so used to asking, that it felt really good to have someone ask me for a change
Currently attending Anime LA, Anime Expo, PMX and Anime Conji
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Fremen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2011, 04:27 PM   #200
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

It could be a bit awkward if I am asked by a cosplayer for a photograph that I am not interested in photographing. I would hate to say "No", so I would probably take a few quick photos at the very least, trying my best not to show any lack of interest.
brucer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2011, 09:41 PM   #201
TykeJack
envisageu.deviantart.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucer007 View Post
It could be a bit awkward if I am asked by a cosplayer for a photograph that I am not interested in photographing. I would hate to say "No", so I would probably take a few quick photos at the very least, trying my best not to show any lack of interest.
I've done this many times.
TykeJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2011, 10:12 AM   #202
☆ KEITA
Pokémon Master

That was what I was wondering, since I guess asking the photographer yourself for a shoot would be a compliment to their photography, and that you like their photos.

But on the other hand, you don't want to bother them if they don't have any interest in photographing you.

Thank you very much for your answers!

Upcoming Cosplay
WWWl Stocking MALE VER (Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt)
WWWl Horohoro TOURNAMENT VER (Shaman King)
WWWl Vivi (Luminous Arc)
WWWl Syaoran (Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle)
☆ KEITA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2011, 06:44 PM   #203
Eriol
Chiaroscuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJH-Photography View Post
From one photographer to another, when it comes to the issue of getting the cosplayer's permission to take and use their photo (like for a portfolio, website, etc) what would you say is the proper and or polite to get them to sign a model release? Ask them when you first approach them? Right after you've photographed them?

I'm not a big con-goer so hence why I'm not 100% sure
I usually schedule my photoshoots beforehand, so I require that cosplayers sign a model release if they shoot with me. I email them a model release that they sign and bring with them to the photoshoot. I am not a professional photographer, but I do it anyway, so there is little ambiguity as to the photo usage.

If the photoshoot is happening at the con at the spur of the moment, it would probably be best to ask first if the cosplayer will sign a model release. If you are carrying an iPhone, there are several apps that have generic model release forms (or allow you to customize one). If they say no, then you can still shoot, but there is no commercial application of those photos (i.e. you post them to Flickr or DeviantART, but that's about it).

Quote:

Better to ask politely then not ask at all. You might get a 'no' response, but you might get a 'yes' or 'yes, let's talk later' response.

2012 Convention Schedule
Steampunk Worlds Fair | Otakon

Last edited by Eriol : 01-30-2011 at 06:51 PM.
Eriol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2011, 03:21 AM   #204
Ashurachan
now behind the lens

Quote:

It would feel strange if someone I didn't know asked me for photos... but from people I've shot before, it actually happens quite often (during cons, or out of cons).
Ashurachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2011, 10:04 PM   #205
Max_Archer
cosplayshots.com

Quote:

On the spot, it's a little unusual.

In advance, it's pretty normal. I basically only shoot on cosplayer request, and it's usually with some degree of prior planning, even if it's only that they call me earlier in the day and ask if I'm available later.
Max_Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2011, 10:46 PM   #206
PsychoLove
Zombie Aeris

(not sure if it was asked before but...)

Do you photographers prefer more candid (whether actually candid or not) photos, or obviously posed photos? Do you prefer the cosplayer be engaging the camera (full eye contact, maybe a gesture), or ignoring it (looking past or away from it... maybe not even facing the correct direction)?

If you prefer candid, but the cosplayer is engaging your camera, do you ask for them to look away, or do you just roll with it?

www.moonsquid-illustration.com

Recently Completed:
The Nightmare Before Christmas: Sally
Princess Mononoke: San
Final Fantasy IV: Rydia (2.0)
Magic Knight Rayearth: Hikaru (final armor)

IN PROGRESS:
Final Fantasy IX: General Beatrix
Sailor Moon: Princess Serenity
Twilight Princess: Princess Zelda
PsychoLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2011, 11:18 PM   #207
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

As you may already know from our past photo shoots PsychoLove, for cosplay photography, I personally prefer candid looking photos. It seems more natural and in-character to catch them looking at places other than the lens. It seems that most people are conditioned to look at the camera from other traditional portraiture, like snaps shots of "Here I am at the convention" shots, or vacation poses,etc.

If a cosplayer looks at my lens, I may shoot a few like that, but I would direct them to look other directions mostly. There are so many more options by not limiting it to lookinf at the lens.

It tends to make more sense to look in the direction of a gun barrel or sword tip, etc, rather than point a gun one way, and look at the lens.

Here is a photo I took of you, using the candid-looking approach:http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2221102/

Last edited by brucer007 : 02-05-2011 at 11:21 PM.
brucer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2011, 11:20 PM   #208
SvK

Both can be good. These cosplayers were ignoring me completely, but we did this action fifteen times to get it right. Candid photos can capture more genuine expressions, but posed shots are necessary to get the over-the-top running and fighting poses that people don't do in real life.
SvK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2011, 01:49 AM   #209
Eurobeat King
Justified Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoLove View Post
Do you photographers prefer more candid (whether actually candid or not) photos, or obviously posed photos? Do you prefer the cosplayer be engaging the camera (full eye contact, maybe a gesture), or ignoring it (looking past or away from it... maybe not even facing the correct direction)?
I prefer posed photos for about 98% of my pictures. I like when my cosplayers look at me for pictures, extend their hands/fists, or props toward the camera, etc. I will ask them to look away from the camera for a few pictures, as well as turn around for back pictures if their costume has something on the back. But mostly I'll ask them to look at me.

I don't like candid pictures because some cosplayers may get offended by having their pictures taken w/o them knowing, while they're not looking their best, talking on the phone, eating, etc. Plus they usually won't be able to view the pictures if the candid-photographer takes the picture and then leaves. Posing for pictures, the cosplayer can ask the photographer to show him/her the pictures after they're done. If any pictures needed to be re-taken or deleted, that can be done right then-and-there.
"This is your job. You want a clear conscience, go start a charity. But if you want your own photography business, and your cosplayer boss says you gotta go out there and take a photo-shoot, go out there, take it, come back to work, and say "DO YOU NEED ME TO DO IT AGAIN?!!"
Eurobeat King is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2011, 02:20 PM   #210
Ritsu H Saotome
Fail Shadow Photographer

Quote:

Well for me, I'm the person asking (as the Photographer) for pictures of cosplayers, not the other way around. (for the most part).

For me, it wouldn't be weird to be asked to take a picture from a stranger because I always love expanding recognition