Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-07-2011, 04:46 AM   #211
Ashurachan
now behind the lens

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoLove View Post
(not sure if it was asked before but...)

Do you photographers prefer more candid (whether actually candid or not) photos, or obviously posed photos? Do you prefer the cosplayer be engaging the camera (full eye contact, maybe a gesture), or ignoring it (looking past or away from it... maybe not even facing the correct direction)?

If you prefer candid, but the cosplayer is engaging your camera, do you ask for them to look away, or do you just roll with it?
For solos it depends on how comfortable the cosplayer is with cameras, and how well I know him. Some people are natural enough when looking directly at the camera ; some others are nervous just seeing the camera, and making them look somewhere else can make them ease up a bit. Also depends strongly on the character and the type of expression I try to achieve (it's hard to look dreamy while looking at the camera).
With several people in a shot, I tend to make them interact with each other, rather than with me, so they rarely end up looking at me.
I rarely do candids at cons. The last nice candids I've done were during photoshoots for which I was an assistant/backstage photographer ; the moment when someone notices you're taking his picture and starts posing is one of the moments you'll get a natural-looking expression.
Ashurachan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-07-2011, 10:09 PM   #212
Hcoregamer00
PMX/Otakorp/Lunar Fest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurobeat King View Post
I prefer posed photos for about 98% of my pictures. I like when my cosplayers look at me for pictures, extend their hands/fists, or props toward the camera, etc. I will ask them to look away from the camera for a few pictures, as well as turn around for back pictures if their costume has something on the back. But mostly I'll ask them to look at me.

I don't like candid pictures because some cosplayers may get offended by having their pictures taken w/o them knowing, while they're not looking their best, talking on the phone, eating, etc. Plus they usually won't be able to view the pictures if the candid-photographer takes the picture and then leaves. Posing for pictures, the cosplayer can ask the photographer to show him/her the pictures after they're done. If any pictures needed to be re-taken or deleted, that can be done right then-and-there.
Same here, posed photos can look very beautiful if the photographer can frame the scene correctly. I absolutely detest candid photos of myself, which is why I extend the same courtesy to the cosplayer.

The instant feedback from the cosplayer is a real treat, because it is overwhelmingly positive (in my experience) and if they the photo it they generally ask for more of them.

Photography Blog, dA, FB Fan Page, Personal Blog

Future Cons: Anime Los Angeles, Otakon Vegas
Hcoregamer00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2011, 11:16 PM   #213
BlackieChuu
Cosplay Snob

Quote:
(not sure if it was asked before but...)

Do you photographers prefer more candid (whether actually candid or not) photos, or obviously posed photos? Do you prefer the cosplayer be engaging the camera (full eye contact, maybe a gesture), or ignoring it (looking past or away from it... maybe not even facing the correct direction)?

If you prefer candid, but the cosplayer is engaging your camera, do you ask for them to look away, or do you just roll with it?
It depends, really. Being a cosplayer and photographer, I've been on both ends of this question. Its polite to ask someone before taking a picture of them. I know I'd feel a little weirded out if someone took a random picture of me without asking. Though if I'm doing a photoshoot with someone/a group or are shooting a gathering, candid shots tend to be some of my favorites. Capturing a natural moment, relaxed moment can make for a more interesting image.
BlackieChuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2011, 07:11 PM   #214
cabusi

Quote:
many times, i prefer the cosplayer to engage my camera but not look at me. so yeah, it is very common for me to tell a cosplayer at a con: "Ok.. ummm, see that guy right there? (me pointing at some random photog near me) Look at that guy." /click /click /click
cabusi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2011, 10:58 PM   #215
TsarinaOfHearts

I'm a cosplayer and I've never done a photoshoot with a photographer before but I was curious/interested in trying it out once con season (summer) rolls around. I know that many photographers will do a photoshoot for free to gain experience or build up their portfolio. For those photographers that do charge, what do you consider a reasonable amount to ask for an hour of work?

(Just curious so that I can start saving money if need be, haha...)
TsarinaOfHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 09:40 AM   #216
Patches
she killed a man

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsarinaOfHearts View Post
I know that many photographers will do a photoshoot for free to gain experience or build up their portfolio.
Just to let you know, there are many of us that just shoot for free because we like taking photos. A photographer that shoots for free might not be just "building their portfolio" or "gaining experience". It seems to be a misconception among many cosplayers new to approaching photographers to think that most charge >.>. (Unless things have drastically changed and I have not noticed lol) Also, whether or not someone charges doesn't tell you anything about the quality of photos you will receive ^^

*I* think a fair price for a shoot is a few drinks at the bar later lol. It's all relative to the photographer, why they're doing it, how much they want as profit, how much they want to shoot you, if they know you etc. You're best off just asking the photographer who's work you admire IMHO.

Last edited by Patches : 03-16-2011 at 09:51 AM.
Patches is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 05:25 PM   #217
TykeJack
envisageu.deviantart.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsarinaOfHearts View Post
I'm a cosplayer and I've never done a photoshoot with a photographer before but I was curious/interested in trying it out once con season (summer) rolls around. I know that many photographers will do a photoshoot for free to gain experience or build up their portfolio. For those photographers that do charge, what do you consider a reasonable amount to ask for an hour of work?

(Just curious so that I can start saving money if need be, haha...)
Kind of what patches said. You should find a photographer whom you'd want to work with and contact them. Many photographers do shoot conventions for free, but also only shoot what they want. So if you like a photographers work and want to guarantee a shoot with them, contact them and they can tell you what they charge.
TykeJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 05:45 PM   #218
Eriol
Chiaroscuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patches View Post
Just to let you know, there are many of us that just shoot for free because we like taking photos. A photographer that shoots for free might not be just "building their portfolio" or "gaining experience". It seems to be a misconception among many cosplayers new to approaching photographers to think that most charge >.>. (Unless things have drastically changed and I have not noticed lol) Also, whether or not someone charges doesn't tell you anything about the quality of photos you will receive ^^

*I* think a fair price for a shoot is a few drinks at the bar later lol. It's all relative to the photographer, why they're doing it, how much they want as profit, how much they want to shoot you, if they know you etc. You're best off just asking the photographer who's work you admire IMHO.
The misconception probably comes from the fact that normally people do pay photographers when they need good photos (headshots, weddings, band shots, senior portraits, etc.). After all, you are paying to receive a service.

So far, most cosplay phtoographers do not charge for photos. However, if you examine the "photographer available" threads in the Photo Scheduling forum, some of the better, prolific cosplay photographers are charging now. However, the fees are mostly to defer the costs of attending the convention. It is not a profit-making engine (yet).

As for knowing what is a "reasonable" rate to pay a photographer, that depends. There is no rule for this. You should review a photographer's portfolio and decide if the rate the photographer is quoting is worth it.

2012 Convention Schedule
Steampunk Worlds Fair | Otakon

Last edited by Eriol : 03-16-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Eriol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 06:30 PM   #219
Access

Even for the ones who do charge, the price range is totally different. I don't think anyone is making a whole lot of money doing cosplay photography. The far majority of photographers are just going it as a hobby. And there's enough of them doing it as a hobby that you don't really need to pay unless you desire a specific style or result that only that photographer can produce.

I've always advised people just to ask around. Among friends, family, anime club members, etc. Or, if you go to a major con, or pretty much any con in the SoCal area, check the boards and there are often photographers who will do it for free.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 07:20 PM   #220
tfcreate
Behind the lens since 68

It's basically been said. There are no set rates for photographers. For those that charge, it's all different. And those prices are as variable as the quality of the work. If you like someone's work, PM them to see if they are available and what their terms are.

Rules for life: Rule #7
Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you are.
Anime Midwest Anime Chicago Chicago Comicon
Anime Iowa
tfcreate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2011, 12:18 AM   #221
TsarinaOfHearts

I kind of forgot about this thread for a while (oops) so I'm just reading the answers now - Thank you for the input and answers! For some reason I had the impression that getting a cosplay photographer would cost me +$100 but I see now that that's not the case, haha. Thanks!
TsarinaOfHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2011, 11:31 AM   #222
levelsixtyseven

I feel horrible because I am one of those con photogs who do charge. And the previous post above are talking about people not charging. I think style and reputation is very important. I have somewhat of a significant style but I feel I will improve more over a course of a year.

I don't feel bad charging because I'm confident enough that I can deliver something way out of the ordinary for my clients. Something that their friends can't do or another person with a dslr.

I am a student and learning and feel $15 for a session fee is reasonable for my level. For anyone interested in how I judge prices.
Unread 04-06-2011, 05:28 PM   #223
Ashurachan
now behind the lens

Depends on countries I think.
In France I've never seen a cosplay photographer charge for a photoshoot, whatever his level. One of the main reasons is probably the fact that we don't have nice places for shoots inside conventions, so it's quite hard to organize them there. As a result, almost all shoots are done outside of cons, within people from the same area, who generally know each other quite well...
Take into account the fact that French people find talking about money somewhat rude, you'll understand that nobody, not even pro photographers, charges for cosplay photoshoots.
Unread 04-06-2011, 06:16 PM   #224
levelsixtyseven

That's interesting to know. Maybe that's just France. I really don't know.. but I see cosplay photoshoots as a service. and like any other service if performed well then I see no harm in charging.
Unread 04-07-2011, 04:12 AM   #225
Ashurachan
now behind the lens

I don't see photoshoots as something I do for cosplayers, but as a something I do with them. I enjoy taking photos, and cosplayers enjoy having photos of their costumes. For pros or aspiring pros, cosplay photoshoots are great training for portrait and fashion photography ; finding someone who will pose for free as willingly as a cosplayer is actually quite hard (a photoshoot outside of a con is generally a lot longer, the last I did were about three-four hours).

Last edited by Ashurachan : 04-07-2011 at 04:14 AM.