Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-26-2011, 01:25 PM   #241
Eurobeat King
Justified Photographer

Before a convention ends, I give my closest & trustworthy friends the pictures I took of them on CD-R('s) so they may post them on Facebook, DA, or this site. It's usually faster for them to post since I have to travel home, and I have a lot more pictures to post.

Giving my friends the CD-R's of their pictures is something I've been doing for a while, and won't change that. They appreciate having the pictures for them to post, and if they plan to photo-shop any, they will ask me first, and I know they will give me full-credit for taking the pictures. This is the bond of friendship & trust that we share.
"This is your job. You want a clear conscience, go start a charity. But if you want your own photography business, and your cosplayer boss says you gotta go out there and take a photo-shoot, go out there, take it, come back to work, and say "DO YOU NEED ME TO DO IT AGAIN?!!"
Eurobeat King is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-29-2011, 03:29 PM   #242
mariotheotaku

I hope this is the best way to ask this but I didn't want to make a whole new topic just to ask this question. If its not just delete it. Thank you:

When doing photoshoots how do you guys deal with your White Balance? Do you have the cosplayer hold an 18% Gray Card then choose your custom WB. Do you choose 1 of the preset settings in the camera according to the situation? Other?

Thank you
mariotheotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2011, 03:57 PM   #243
Surfsama
Noob with a Nikon

First I shoot RAW for the flexibility to change settings in post.

If itís outside, daylight, and Iím shooting whatever catches my eye I just leave the camera in Auto WB the majority of time. If itís a critical shot or the lighting is too yellow, I use either an Expo Disc or a gray card.

Inside, I always adjust with an Expo Disc/card if I have time or in a pinch a white surface.
Surfsama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2011, 04:01 PM   #244
Blasteh
Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariotheotaku View Post
I hope this is the best way to ask this but I didn't want to make a whole new topic just to ask this question. If its not just delete it. Thank you:

When doing photoshoots how do you guys deal with your White Balance? Do you have the cosplayer hold an 18% Gray Card then choose your custom WB. Do you choose 1 of the preset settings in the camera according to the situation? Other?

Thank you
I shoot raw and correct in post, I sometimes don't use "correct" wb because of a desired effect I am going for (This means I leave mine on auto pretty much 99% of the time no matter how wrong it looks on the back of the camera).
When I do use custom wb, I use an expo disc and it'll usually only be for indoor stuff where the lighting is all constant and unchanging.

There are several ways to get correct white balance, 18% grey material of some sort, color checker passport, white balance disc etc..
Some are faster than others while some are more accurate.
Unread 04-29-2011, 04:09 PM   #245
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariotheotaku View Post

Thank you
It just depends, you have to use your best judgement. Typically I just shoot raw and AWB and if it doesn't look right, fix it later. Lots of times there is some white or gray in a costume that you can balance off, and much of the time you are in a mixed environment (ie. outside sunlight, indoor lighting of multiple types, possibly flash, all falling on the area differently) where even a gray card isn't going to help.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2011, 04:27 PM   #246
mariotheotaku

Thank you guys
mariotheotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2011, 07:48 PM   #247
RickyFromVegas
Cosplaying Photographer

A question to Con Photographers: Lighting.

What source of external light do you bring to the con?
What could one bring to a con that's portable, yet effective in providing effective lighting for a shot?
RickyFromVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2011, 07:56 PM   #248
Max_Archer
cosplayshots.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyFromVegas View Post

What could one bring to a con that's portable, yet effective in providing effective lighting for a shot?
Three Speedlights, although I haven't brought the third to a con yet, since I just got it. Two speedlights, with stands and modifiers, is a pretty good setup. I use the Manfotto Nano stands since two fit into a small tripod bag. For light modifiers, I'm in love with the Lastolite EzyBox Hotshoe 24". It folds up to the size of a thick reflector, assembles easily, and provides great light. A bigger softbox would be nice, but it'd need more power than a speedlight is really made for.
Max_Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2011, 01:19 AM   #249
freyja3120

This is a great thread!

I saw the question posted before, but didn't see an answer to it. Any advice on permissions/looking for places to do photoshoots? These will be non-commercial photos with friends, but I am concerned since our costumes have weapons with them. In some cases they are swords/daggers, some non-bladed metal, some wood, but the part where I'm really concerned is with the costumes that have guns.

The guns are prop guns now, with all moving pieces and internal parts removed, and filled in with wood filler (making them essentially gun-shaped pieces of plastic), but they are realistic looking to a certain extent. The costume (Umbrella soldiers) means that we looking rather like members of SWAT, or special forces, and since they would look best with the guns as part of the shot and in at least semi-urban environments, I'm concerned about misunderstandings. So I guess I'm sort of asking two questions at this point:

How do you go about securing permission to do a photoshoot in a non-convention environment (or do you?)

What needs to be done to avoid misunderstandings/trouble when using weapon looking props in urban environments?

Thanks so much!
freyja3120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2011, 02:49 AM   #250
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

Pro guns, where I live in Los Angeles, require orange tips on the front of the barrel. That is the law. The offense is Misdeanor if you get caught in public, or any areas where there are people, such as businesses. I am not sure of the exact line drawn where not orange-tipped guns can be seen. For movies being shot in public, the owner of the guns must have a special permit to used guns that are not painted orange.

I can photoshop an orange tip to be black or whatever color or shade, rather easily.

Permission is often a good thing to get, if you think there could be hassles without it, but many people try guerilla-style photo shoots with no trouble. It depends on the location, the look of your costumes (threatening), and your timing.
brucer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2011, 03:34 AM   #251
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

Quote:

Hi Ricky,

I bring a rather portable system that requires a few bags and some sore shoulders.

In addition to my camera bag of one canera body and 5 lenses, I bring one speedlight flash and put it on a light-stand that is small enough to collapse to about 2.5 feet, so I can carry it and my 36" soft-white umbrella in a tennis racquet softcase, with a strap. I have a tote-bag that holds my flash, a little radio reciever and transmitter ( Pocket Wizard with TTL ), a rig to hold the flash and the umbrella on the light-stand, and some trail mix (Gotta have the snacks, or get over-charged for food at the convention center).

Last edited by brucer007 : 05-02-2011 at 03:37 AM.
brucer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2011, 04:15 AM   #252
RickyFromVegas
Cosplaying Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucer007 View Post
....rig to hold the flash and the umbrella[/b] on the light-stand, and some trail mix (Gotta have the snacks, or get over-charged for food at the convention center).
HAH! This made my day.
Thanks, Bruce.
RickyFromVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2011, 06:37 AM   #253
Ashurachan
now behind the lens

Quote:

I have a single flash, that I try to bounce on ceilings and walls when I can.
I have already tried to bring a stand with umbrella (+ flash trigger) for it, however it seriously hinders movement and I hate the extra load. It's okay when I share it with someone though (while one shoots the other is free to move around, spots cosplayers and then brings them to the shooting spot).
Ashurachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2011, 08:05 AM   #254
parv

This year to Kawaii Kon I took with me a LumoPro LP605 (from MPEX) light stand (bit longer than Manfrotto Nano; folds to about 20 in), a 16 x 22 in softbox (Photoflex), and a 42 in 5-in-1 reflector. Reflector I did not use as it is impractical to use while working solo without (camera) tripod and/or another light stand and reflector clamp+bar.

Besides the point that I need to get used to softbox, this softbox may not be large enough for more than two persons. (Dis)Connecting softbox (from)to mounting hardware (Photolex "basic softbox speedring" & Manfrotto camera platform) was easy. I would assemble as needed (somebody has to attend those panels & watch some anime). The folded softbox fits in a 20 in long bag (meets carry-on requirement) and slightly smaller than the above mentioned light stand.

Ah, do get a rolling bag of some sort, else you would tired shoulder within a day, especially when there is 12-minute walk between the hotel & the venue (or spend extra USD 10/night for 3 nights for 5-6 minute walk).
parv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2011, 12:55 PM   #255
Access

Quote:

Just a simple add-on flash that goes on top of your camera, and sometimes a reflector as they don't take much space when folded up.

Find someone to hold the reflector, preferably a friend or someone from your group who will be with your most of the time. You can do this indoors or outdoors, reflecting your own flash, the sun, or such. First the first time doing this, brush up on the manual modes of your flash, practice your relative distances to find what works best before the actual event.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote