Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-13-2010, 10:46 PM   #16
Fremen
Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by xApocalypse View Post
Oh,i dont know about you guys,But "choosing" the cosplayer you want out of a group of people,or friends ,whatever is kinda common around here.
I mean,I was hanging around with the same person,talnted cosplayer who is my dear friend,The whole day.
And people kept asking for my photo and didnt ask for hers,and we were like..Always together.Its very common for us cosplayers where i live so she didnt get offended or anything,but i felt really odd.Why does photographers do that?
Like you guys said...Shooting a person,espically if its a person that is with someone you wanna shoot,wont kill you.
I never get them xD
I actually try to never do this. Basically if I see cosplayers hanging out together, I will try to get a picture of each of them if possible. I wouldn't want someone to feel left out.
Currently attending Anime LA, Anime Expo, PMX and Anime Conji
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Fremen is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-13-2010, 11:13 PM   #17
winterwish
Explosive Photographer!

1) I always watermark my photos, and ask they not be modified or cropped in any way.
(unless you've shot with me a few times and you're REALLY COOL. then it's all good )

2)when I get a group of cosplayers, I take the following shots:
Group, triples, doubles, singles.
Then I work with the cosplayers I want for my artistic shots for a few minutes.
This ensures a general equality and that everyone walks away happy

3)re-touching - I usually touch-up skin if I feel like it's a shot that really needs it. I also tend to re-touch my private shoots more obviously.

Winter Wish/Cosplay Photography:
http://winterwish.net

Upcoming Cons: Fanime, Anime Expo, Yaoicon
Willing to do shoots around the SF area via PM.
winterwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2010, 07:24 PM   #18
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

I would prefer my photos to be retouched only by me as a full representation of my photography. I have made exceptions if I know the person and respect what they generally do in photoshop. The proper credit for photoshop...or blame should be with the displayed photo.

I don't mind when cosplayers know some poses and know what angles they find looks better on them. It usually helps them like the end result. I love being able to say "Another satified customer!". I can still usually get what I want. I can try to incorperate what they like with what they like. Also, if I covered it their way, hopefully they won't mind if I do my way too. They might like that I directed them to do something they would not otherwise tried.

When going for a particular cosplayer in a group. I do try to make other cosplayers happy with some courtesy photos. One time, I saw one cosplayer I wanted to photograph who was part of a group. I asked the whole group at the same time, expecting some to say "No thank you". I hoped the one I wanted was willing...I got someone else willing instead, but it still was a nice photo.

Last edited by brucer007 : 02-15-2010 at 11:37 AM.
brucer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2010, 09:02 AM   #19
Hime no Toki
NiGHTmaren
Modoka Magica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jia Jem View Post
Great idea for a thread, guys.

What do photographers think about cosplayers re-editing photos? Cropping, changing colors, airbrushing, etc. Is it considered rude, even if it's pointed out that it's been changed?
I was going to ask this one, great question. I always worry about this because I tend to change the color of my eyes in photos to suit the character I am cosplaying as. I have a fear of contacts so I have never even attempted to put them in, and since I'm pretty crazy about accuracy, I like to be able to have everything represented true to the character, including eye color. Also, I have two different colored eyes to begin with! I've always been on the fence about whether that's a cool feature or not, and in some pictures it makes my eyes look pretty wonky because one eye is a different color than the other one.

2014 - Upcoming Conventions :
Anime Weekend Atlanta (GA) - FandomCon (FL)

Upcoming costumes : Princess Garnet (coronation gown) from FFIX, Edea Lee (various costmes) from Bravely Default, and more!

http://www.facebook.com/NiGHTmarenCosplay
Hime no Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2010, 06:20 PM   #20
Kitsoru
Guilty Gear fangirl

From the cosplayer's perspective, I'm curious about a few related things:

1. For those photographers that look at the convention photoshoot meetup schedules rather than just doing around-the-con or private shoots, how do you choose which gatherings you'll go to? Do you choose based on your own favorite series? Group size? Which series seem to have a lot of quality costumes that year? Or are there specific times/days you shoot more?
In fact, I'm wondering how many of you guys DO look at the shoot schedules and choose to attend them. I've been at a few shoots before where.. well, a bunch of cosplayers showed up, but no photographers did- which is fine, since cosplayers can just get shots of each other, or passers-by can take shots, but I'm curious on how many con photogs actually look at the gathering lists and plan according to them.

2. If someone that was running a series shoot requested that you shoot at a gathering, would you be okay with that? Whether asking online beforehand after seeing that you'll be in attendance, or in-person?
Next Cons:
Youmacon '12
My Curecos
My ACP
My dA
Kitsoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2010, 06:54 PM   #21
Fremen
Photog

I think every photographer would have their own opinion on answers to these, but mine are the following.
#1) I do look at the photo shoot schedule if there is one and try to plan my day so that I can go to the area where a gathering is happening. I will usually choose a series that I happen to like or one that I know has really cool looking costumes. I don't pay much attention to the size of the group. For me, late afternoon is the best time when the sun is still up but not directly overhead. I don't like early morning because some of these con's are an hour or two drive away and I can't get there that early.

#2) I'm perfectly fine being asked to shoot at a gathering. It would be very flattering to have someone ask me to come to their gathering to shoot pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsoru View Post

1. For those photographers that look at the convention photoshoot meetup schedules rather than just doing around-the-con or private shoots, how do you choose which gatherings you'll go to? Do you choose based on your own favorite series? Group size? Which series seem to have a lot of quality costumes that year? Or are there specific times/days you shoot more?
In fact, I'm wondering how many of you guys DO look at the shoot schedules and choose to attend them. I've been at a few shoots before where.. well, a bunch of cosplayers showed up, but no photographers did- which is fine, since cosplayers can just get shots of each other, or passers-by can take shots, but I'm curious on how many con photogs actually look at the gathering lists and plan according to them.

2. If someone that was running a series shoot requested that you shoot at a gathering, would you be okay with that? Whether asking online beforehand after seeing that you'll be in attendance, or in-person?
Currently attending Anime LA, Anime Expo, PMX and Anime Conji
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Fremen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2010, 07:08 PM   #22
Access

Quote:
Favorite series and/or favorite characters.

Quote:
In my experience, it's not the gathering itself where you get the good photos. You'll see someone who stands out or is really 'into it' at the gathering, you stick around afterwards. Either you or some other photographer asks them to pose alone, or in a small group, in a better area, and that's where you get the really good photos.

Quote:
Only if it was someone I already knew.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2010, 08:29 PM   #23
Elemental
I do that photo thing...

Quote:
1. For those photographers that look at the convention photoshoot meetup schedules rather than just doing around-the-con or private shoots, how do you choose which gatherings you'll go to?
I don't attend group photoshoots, and don't look at scheduled shoot posts any more. I find a lot of photographers often grow out of doing group shoots because of the chaos and lack of creative control. I figure if I'm going to be getting many of the same shots as everyone else, I'm better off somewhere else.
When I stumble on a group photoshoot of a series I like or with impressive costumes, I may hang around for a while to see if I can snag my favourites off for something private.

Quote:
Probably not, unless it was a good friend or I was being paid. I find group photoshoots (open invite, multiple versions of any character, many people shooting) very boring/frustrating to shoot.
I'd say that asking other photogs beforehand is a good idea though. This is totally a 'personal style' sort of thing.
Elemental is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2010, 10:08 PM   #24
winterwish
Explosive Photographer!

Quote:

1)I mostly do private shoots with the cosplayers I've worked with before. I do offer slots so new people can work with me. I do like to give back the community, and thus I provide the new slots so people other the people I know can work with me

2)I usualy don't do gathering shoots or con coverage unless I have the time, and there's always a cosplayer around around a big con that I want to drag somewhere to produce excellent photos last time I checked =)

Winter Wish/Cosplay Photography:
http://winterwish.net

Upcoming Cons: Fanime, Anime Expo, Yaoicon
Willing to do shoots around the SF area via PM.
winterwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2010, 11:40 AM   #25
peiqinglong
Pro Photographer

Quote:

1. I don't look at the shoot schedules, I generally like to let what I see capture my attention. Plus I dislike shooting in large groups and competing with other photographers for model attention. I like to either schedule private photoshoots or just approach people directly at random.

2. Depends on how many other photographers are planning to be there and how organized the requester(s) are. I don't think it's fair for anyone to be sitting around idly waiting for 15 minutes or more for everyone to get gathered or organized.

Become a fan on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
peiqinglong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2010, 01:04 PM   #26
klmedia
Photographer

@kitsoru:

(1) Currently, I look at the convention photoshoot meetup schedules, and loosely plan my day around those. Mainly based on my own favorite series, and the quality/wow-factor of the costumes. I don't care about the time of day, as long as I can get my photoshoots done, it's all good for me.

With that said, I'm starting to dislike super massive group photoshoots because of the lack of personal creative control. Everyone stands there like those boring group wedding photos. It's also disorganized and wastes precious time. Besides that, all of the photographers and onlookers are bound to take a similar shot.

I'd rather ask/pull aside certain cosplayers after the massive group shoots and do a mini-photoshoot. What's starting to become annoying is when other photographers decide to start snapping away without asking (obviously when it's the pretty cosplayer or the epic poses). It only gets more ridiculous when they're snapping away at 5 to 8 frames per second.

(2) Maybe, probably depends if I'm geting paid or just plain bored. I assume they would request me to be there to partially direct their group poses, otherwise, there's no point in asking me when someone else can shoot it for free. I don't know every series, so I'm counting on the group comes up with some re-enactments or scenes, and I'll tweak it to make their photos look better.

[ Cosplay Photography | Videos ]
klmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2010, 08:55 PM   #27
SpookyElectric
Vanship Pilot

re: Asking to take pictures elsewhere
This would probably make my day (unless I was in a rush for some reason). I'd much rather escape to somewhere more manageable / series-appropriate.

re: Directing the photographer
Depends how you do it. I'll typically ask the cosplayer if there is anything they want to try. I'd be up for unsolicited suggestions as long as they let me try my own ideas too.

re: Retouching
I'm ok with it, as long as I'm kept in the loop, and the edits are done competently. If it's not too extreme, I'll integrate the changes into my own galleries so there is just one version of the picture floating around.

re: Singling people out
I try not to, and generally just end up taking more of whoever I'm more biased towards. Unless the other is from a different series, and the reason I'm taking pictures is due to the series/character that I am shooting.

re: Gatherings
I think they're good places for cosplayers to meet each other. Maybe ok places to find people to photograph later. But in general, I don't make a point to attend them as a photographer, as they aren't suited for the pictures I like to take.
SpookyElectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2010, 11:25 PM   #28
maulrat
cabusi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jia Jem View Post
Great idea for a thread, guys.

What do photographers think about cosplayers re-editing photos? Cropping, changing colors, airbrushing, etc. Is it considered rude, even if it's pointed out that it's been changed?
This has happened to me before, not with a cosplayer but with a model. She totally fkt up my photo because she wanted me to give her larger breasts and thin out her waist with the friggin liquify tool. I was totally pissed off.

If, for any reason, a cosplayer should wish to edit a photo of mine, I would politely deny this request. I would rather the cosplayer never post my photo at all, then to modify it. It is like a photographer photographing a coplayer then removing all her/his costume out of the photo by cropping down to her/his face only.

Altering a photo from a photographer is sort of like spitting in their faces saying, "Your post processing work is so crappy that I need to fix it myself." It cuts deeper than one might think.
maulrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2010, 11:34 PM   #29
maulrat
cabusi

Quote:

I do not attend gatherings for the simple fact that I don't want to take the same shot that 50 other photogs will take. I'd rather my photo be unique. The gathering list? I don't even bother; however, I may go to a gathering to scout out potential cosplayers that I may want to pull aside for a private shoot. Also, in regards to gatherings (example Macross Frontier gethering), I don't care for having a single photograph containing 15 Rankas in it.

Quote:
I would shoot a gathering only on two occasions. 1, the cosplayer is a friend of mine. or 2, you paid me.
maulrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2010, 02:06 AM   #30
Surfsama
Noob with a Nikon

First, thanks spooky for listing these questions in this format.

re: Asking to take pictures elsewhere
No problem here unless it's in full blown high noon sunlight and the background is a gas station.

re: Directing the photographer
I have yet to experience this but I would be fine with following a cosplayer's lead.

re: Retouching
Speaking for myself, I don't really care as long as it's the cosplayer doing the edits. I don't usually watermark my con pictures because I'm not using them for commercial purposes and they have a short shelf-life anyway so if you want to enhance your own picture go for it.

re: Singling people out
I always ask for a picture of each person in a group and then a group or "friends" shot. If one cosplayer really stands-out I might take a few more but usually the rest of the group understands.

re: Gatherings
I go to them when I know in advance. Otherwise, I usually stumble on them and take the obligatory group shot. I take pictures before and/or after of cosplayers that are willing to pose. I see gatherings as a shared community thing and deserving of a capture.
Surfsama is offline   Reply With Quote