Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-03-2012, 06:19 PM   #391
Surfsama
Noob with a Nikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessJupiter View Post
Haha, I have this habit too! I tend to face so that my right side is towards the camera because I think my nose looks better from that side.

Really, the only way to break it is practice! If you're taking photos of yourself, you have the chance to just mess around and figure out how to position your face from various angles to the camera and what you like best. I mess around in the mirror a lot when I'm about to go to cons and think "Okay, what are some poses that I'll do when I'm wearing ____ costume?" and go from there. I'll do a lot where I focus on keeping my face towards my 'weaker' side and full frontal shots so that I know which angles I like my face at when I'm making different expressions. (Example: Evil characters do that eyebrow arch, look down their nose at you, and smirk or look serious. I can only raise my left eyebrow so I'll have to work on posing with my weaker side.) It feels silly, but it helps. ^-^

If you're working with a photographer at a photoshoot or something, just tell them your preferences before hand! I know whenever I'm shooting people and they tell me "I'd like to minimize _____ about my _____." I'll keep an eye out and help them pose in a way that I think helps them look their best.

Worst comes to worst, you ask to see a shot and if you don't like it, you can either ask to redo the pose or just not post it and find another shot you like!
Just so I understand; You want to have pictures of your face straight-on toward the camera? For most people, the "fullness" of a straight shot is not flattering. Also, if you take a full-face shot with a lens shorter than 85mm your facial feature can become a bit distorted (larger nose/smaller ears). So if you want full-face shots have the photographer shoot with a longer lens (the longer the better) and hold your chin up slightly to avoid a double chin.
Surfsama is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-04-2012, 10:44 PM   #392
ashe2kawaii
A Wolf in Chic Clothing

^^Thank you very much!(*w*) You two have helped me alot. although i still need to whip out my cam again (probably tommorow or day after) i will definitly work on what you pointed out=D (This may seem extreme but i saved it on word to help me remember)XD

Once again, Thank You so much(>v<)bb

~Working On/Non Con Currently~
Clawdeen Wolf Ver.Unannounced (Monster High)~20%
Scheherazade Al-Rahman Ver.Cheongsam (Trinity Blood)~0%

~Youmacon 2014 Lineup~
Misuzu Kamio (Air) ~0%
Tifa Lockhart (FFVII)~30%
Pinky Pie (MLP:FIM)~80%
ashe2kawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 04:05 PM   #393
DarkCloudInc
S. M. R. T. I mean...

As a cosplayer with a huge prop, 14' wings when open and wraps around when closed, do you have any tips on poses?
---
Planned Cosplay 2014 - Winged Armor Year: Tentative
Pegasus God Cloth - Silver [Saint Seiya]
ACen?: Sat?
DarkCloudInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2012, 01:18 AM   #394
Berenice
-NaruSakuHina-

Hello photographers!
I have a question...

So here's what happens...
I have a photoshoot with my buddy, then she posts the RAW shots online, I edit them (ofc with her permission) then I post the edited shots somewhere on my online profile (dA, cure etc)

So... What I'd like is that... to have the RAWs removed online so that only the edited shots stay online. May I ask if this is rude? I mean... who has the "right" over posting the pics, the photographer or cosplayer?

I really don't like RAWs and edited pics flying around at the same time so....

Should I ask her or might I offend her or something? xD
Berenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2012, 02:26 AM   #395
Surfsama
Noob with a Nikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenice View Post
Hello photographers!
I have a question...

So here's what happens...
I have a photoshoot with my buddy, then she posts the RAW shots online, I edit them (ofc with her permission) then I post the edited shots somewhere on my online profile (dA, cure etc)

So... What I'd like is that... to have the RAWs removed online so that only the edited shots stay online. May I ask if this is rude? I mean... who has the "right" over posting the pics, the photographer or cosplayer?

I really don't like RAWs and edited pics flying around at the same time so....

Should I ask her or might I offend her or something? xD
The rights belong to the Photographer unless there was an agreement to relinquish said rights between you and your buddy. How your buddy will react to your request to take down her pictures is anyone's guess. Generally, photographers that are okay (not many are) with the cosplayers modifying their pictures wouldn't expect the cosplayer to then ask them to take down their originals. My guess is she won't be too happy with your request.

BTW, the term "RAW" means the raw sensor data. It isn't a picture until it is processed further. I know what you meant but I thought I'd throw that out there.

Last edited by Surfsama : 01-11-2012 at 02:28 AM.
Unread 01-11-2012, 06:23 AM   #396
Berenice
-NaruSakuHina-

whoops~ sorry xD
I meant by "Raw" like.. unedited HAHA!

Well, it wasn't a very formal photoshoot... it was like... casual shoots from a con.... Yeah xD Nothing business-ish or extravagant with lights and reflectors.

It's in her fb, and not in her photography gallery...

Hmm... ok now I'm hesitant to tell her LOL XD Knowing her, I think she'd be okay about it HOWEVER I'd still like to respect her xD

But, YEAP, she's 100% coolio with me editing her pics
I just really don't like RAWS and edits floating around because I don't like trollers to "compare" and trash talk ROFL
Berenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2012, 10:35 AM   #397
aMURica
Doesn't Give Bad news

I have a question as a cosplayer (and amateur photographer!) for photographers.

There's an upcoming convention at which I still want to cosplay all weekend, but I also want to do some shooting myself, I'm still a newbie, so what would be some suggestions for what to do or wear as far as cosplay goes? What would you be comfortable in as far as a cosplay if you're busy taking tons of pictures? It's a really big con and I do still want to cosplay, so I was thinking of maybe wearing one of my "low-maintenance" cosplays, but I'm not entirely sure. (And I don't mean character suggestions, I mean more along the lines of guidelines to follow, what sort of things would get in the way, etc.)

Next Cons:Otakon 2012 / AFO 13 - Now with portal Panels! / Anime Weekend Atlanta 2012

Next Cosplays: Fancy Dreamer Sollux -90% / Magicastuck John Egbert - 15% /Human Wheatley - 80%

Selling stuff: Here.
aMURica is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2012, 01:57 PM   #398
Shoji-Aoyama
Dual Wielding Nikonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aMURica View Post
I have a question as a cosplayer (and amateur photographer!) for photographers.

There's an upcoming convention at which I still want to cosplay all weekend, but I also want to do some shooting myself, I'm still a newbie, so what would be some suggestions for what to do or wear as far as cosplay goes? What would you be comfortable in as far as a cosplay if you're busy taking tons of pictures? It's a really big con and I do still want to cosplay, so I was thinking of maybe wearing one of my "low-maintenance" cosplays, but I'm not entirely sure. (And I don't mean character suggestions, I mean more along the lines of guidelines to follow, what sort of things would get in the way, etc.)
pretty much anything that doesnt hinder your mobility much, or at all. . . thats pretty much the only recomendation I have. . . in the end it depends on how seriously you wanna be shooting, if youre really serious you may find yourself on your knees, leaning over rails or things, and whatever else to get that elusive shot. . . so just beware of all that

Upcoming:
Unread 01-12-2012, 03:58 AM   #399
Ashurachan
now behind the lens

Wear a costume that you can really move in, something that's comfortable enough you forget you're cosplaying. Avoid tailored jackets, they don't allow enough arm movement to shoot comfortably. Avoid long coats because they hinder leg movement. Stretchy fabrics are your friend. In short, something you can comfortably run and jump and crouch in is nice
If possible, have pockets to store an extra battery, a memory card, and anything you may find useful while shooting.
Ashurachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2012, 05:42 AM   #400
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

Cosplay as characters that are photographers; like Peter Parker on Spiderman. ;-)
brucer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2012, 02:51 PM   #401
Scorpion89
The Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucer007 View Post
Cosplay as characters that are photographers; like Peter Parker on Spiderman. ;-)
I wish there was a like function because I would have like this post :-)
Unread 01-12-2012, 02:55 PM   #402
Scorpion89
The Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCloudInc View Post
As a cosplayer with a huge prop, 14' wings when open and wraps around when closed, do you have any tips on poses?
My first tip would be know what your character poses are from their it make's it easier for you and the photographer to do the shoot. Also make sure you have plenty of space around you when your doing a shoot especially if your at a con to many time's I've seen folks with large props accidentally hit someone or break their prop while doing a shoot. If possible I would try to locate either a nice outdoor location or a spot away from the main part of the con for shoots.
Unread 01-12-2012, 03:22 PM   #403
Surfsama
Noob with a Nikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCloudInc View Post
I have photographed cosplayers with huge wings and I can say it's one of the most challenging to do properly at a convention. If you have to do it at the convention I would suggest a friend or two for crowd control and help with positioning. It's a personal thing but I think these types of props really work when you're shot from a low-angle up and tilted. Make sure your background works with a tilt. A properly used wide-angle lens will really accentuate the overall effect.

I recently stumbled onto a set of really impressive large winged cosplayer shots that were truly impressive. The photog really knew what he/she was doing. If I find the link I'll post it.
Unread 01-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #404
DarkCloudInc
S. M. R. T. I mean...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion89 View Post
My first tip would be know what your character poses are from their it make's it easier for you and the photographer to do the shoot. Also make sure you have plenty of space around you when your doing a shoot especially if your at a con to many time's I've seen folks with large props accidentally hit someone or break their prop while doing a shoot. If possible I would try to locate either a nice outdoor location or a spot away from the main part of the con for shoots.
Hah... I know that all too well with my first wing set breaking and numerous other people being slapped in the face. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfsama View Post
I have photographed cosplayers with huge wings and I can say it's one of the most challenging to do properly at a convention. If you have to do it at the convention I would suggest a friend or two for crowd control and help with positioning. It's a personal thing but I think these types of props really work when you're shot from a low-angle up and tilted. Make sure your background works with a tilt. A properly used wide-angle lens will really accentuate the overall effect.

I recently stumbled onto a set of really impressive large winged cosplayer shots that were truly impressive. The photog really knew what he/she was doing. If I find the link I'll post it.
I really would be interest in seeing those photos! I'm looking for inspirations.

Thanks for the tips! I'll be sure to note down some of these at the upcoming cons, so please keep'em coming.
---
Planned Cosplay 2014 - Winged Armor Year: Tentative
Pegasus God Cloth - Silver [Saint Seiya]
ACen?: Sat?
DarkCloudInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 05:50 PM   #405
aMURica
Doesn't Give Bad news

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucer007 View Post
Oh man, that's a great idea!

And thanks for all the tips, guys! I think I have a cosplay that's pretty comfy and easy to move around in. I'll have to carry a bag, since it's lacking in the pockets department, but that's not too big of a deal! : D

Next Cons:Otakon 2012 / AFO 13 - Now with portal Panels! / Anime Weekend Atlanta 2012

Next Cosplays: Fancy Dreamer Sollux -90% / Magicastuck John Egbert - 15% /Human Wheatley - 80%

Selling stuff: Here.
aMURica is offline   Reply With Quote