Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-17-2012, 10:51 AM   #406
Tenjo Zakito
Fujoshi+Otaku

Just a question for the photographers, I wonder how you usually start to go to a photoshoot with the cosplayer?
I am a cosplayer and I have no idea how I should go and know some photographers and ask them to help me do a photoshoot.
Just wondering how should I communicate with the photographers and get to know them and ask them for help for some photoshoot ideas I have.
I'm sorry if this question had been asked before cause I didn't read through the whole thread > <
Tenjo Zakito is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-17-2012, 11:27 AM   #407
Access

There's really not just one way, I've had friends ask me, or I've asked them, or I've seen someone and wanted to spend more time taking photos of them.

Conventions are good for a start, but make sure it's someone you know or handing out contact information so you can get the photos afterwards. Or ask around, friends, friends of friends, circles, clubs, etc. if anyone knows anyone who is a photographer who does at least some portraiture or general people photography.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2012, 10:09 PM   #408
Rander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenjo Zakito View Post
Just a question for the photographers, I wonder how you usually start to go to a photoshoot with the cosplayer?
You could put a post in the "Photography Scheduling" forum. The time could be related to a con or off con time. Then once a few people reply you can ask to see samples of their work and if you like one person's style you can ask for a shoot with them. Also, you can ask the photog for references of other people he/she has worked with in the past.

If you're at a convention and see another photoshoot going on, once they are done then you can ask the photog if they have time for a session.

flickr DeviantART

"Destiny is not a matter of chance; it is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."- William Jennings Bryan (1860 - 1925)
Rander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2012, 09:22 AM   #409
Ashurachan
now behind the lens

People who contact me for photoshoots are all people I've shot before at cons. I don't need to know them well to accept a shoot (or even to ask for one ! it can happen if someone cosplays a character I'm a big fan of), it's more a question of being inspired by their cosplay and how we got along when I shot them before.

Cosplayers who meet me for the first time either are friends of other cosplayers I know, or people whose costume I liked and asked a photo of. I think that befriending experienced cosplayers is actually the easiest way to meet photographers.
Ashurachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2012, 11:59 AM   #410
Scorpion89
The Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenjo Zakito View Post
I am a cosplayer and I have no idea how I should go and know some photographers and ask them to help me do a photoshoot.
Just wondering how should I communicate with the photographers and get to know them and ask them for help for some photoshoot ideas I have.
I'm sorry if this question had been asked before cause I didn't read through the whole thread > <
I see that your from Singapore do you belong to any Anime Clubs that iswere I would start first. Talk with your fellow Cosplay friends about who they have done photo's with may I aslo suggest that if you don't have an Anime Club in your school start one.

As for going to Cons and finding Togs I have to agree with what everyone else has said.
Unread 01-21-2012, 08:17 PM   #411
KJH-Photography
Just another Nikonian

So one question from one photographer to another.
For those who bring more than just one camera bag full of gear (i.e. multiple cameras & lenses stands, softboxes, etc), and aren't staying at said con location, how do you deal with all the equipment? You stash it still shoot time? Keep the essentials with you as you're walking around, etc?
KJH-Photography is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2012, 09:52 PM   #412
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

I keep everything with me all the time. I have a policy against risking my gear in my car. It is often parked too far to be convenient for me to go back to get things.

It can be very tiring to carry all that gear, so I have added a two wheeled dolly to my system.

Then, I am ready to set up whenever I choose.
brucer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2012, 10:18 PM   #413
Shoji-Aoyama
Dual Wielding Nikonian

If Im not renting, I can actually get 2 cameras on my harness 2 lenses on them and the speedlights out on cameras and atleast one on a stand with my Pocketwizards, all my spare kit fits neatly into my little daypack backpack, and all thats left in the big Roller is chargers, cables and all that junk, so that stays in the trunk, but if Im renting and the Con has room enough for me to get around You better believe Ill take the whole Roller with me, Im with Bruce on that one, sometimes I dont like the thought of leaving gear in the trunk, especially if parking is a nightmare

Upcoming:
Unread 01-23-2012, 11:46 AM   #414
DarkCloudInc
S. M. R. T. I mean...

Do photogs carry or pack food with you while at the cons?
---
Planned Cosplay 2014 - Winged Armor Year: Tentative
Pegasus God Cloth - Silver [Saint Seiya]
ACen?: Sat?
DarkCloudInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2012, 12:12 PM   #415
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

I packed some trail mix in my bag. Sometimes I get so involved in taking photos of amazing costumes, I forget to stop for food, so it helps to have it close to me. Also, the choices for healthy food is often hard to find at or near conventions. Furthermore, they charge ridiculous prices for food on the premises. Shame on them!

Last edited by brucer007 : 01-23-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Unread 01-23-2012, 12:44 PM   #416
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCloudInc View Post
Do photogs carry or pack food with you while at the cons?
Yes, energy bars, beef jerky, or something that isn't too much weight and will stand the heat as necessary.

I often end up missing meals with my group because I'm off doing something. Though if it's a gathering or a con held at a hotel, I typically just try to make good use of the con suite.

Not just the expense that Bruce pointed out, but also not being able to eat a lot of the fast food that's out there...
Unread 01-25-2012, 08:46 PM   #417
skyywriting

I have a small question, coming from an amateur con photographer.
(This is my first year actually scheduling photoshoots.)

Do you usually schedule them back to back, or give your self some time in between? Right now I have a photoshoot at 3 to 4 and one from 5 to 6. So should I squeeze one in at 4 to 5?
I just don't want to be late, or not get enough photos, or feel like I'm rushing. =/

And, not really a question, but do you have any random advice for my first time with private photoshoots?
skyywriting is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2012, 09:23 PM   #418
Access

Watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHvJCWAIPF8
I watched it last night. There is a section where he talks about photoshoots, and some of it is pretty good advice if that is how you plan to do it.
Unread 01-25-2012, 09:42 PM   #419
KJH-Photography
Just another Nikonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyywriting View Post
I have a small question, coming from an amateur con photographer.
(This is my first year actually scheduling photoshoots.)

Do you usually schedule them back to back, or give your self some time in between? Right now I have a photoshoot at 3 to 4 and one from 5 to 6. So should I squeeze one in at 4 to 5?
I just don't want to be late, or not get enough photos, or feel like I'm rushing. =/

And, not really a question, but do you have any random advice for my first time with private photoshoots?
If you feel an hr is enough time for you to have relax and possibly extend a shoot if you or the cosplayer(s) are late, and be ready for the next shoot, then keep how you have things. If not, just give yourself a little extra time. If there's enough time left before the con you're attending starts, then alter your schedule a bit if necessary.
This can apply to kind of back-to-back shoot you have in the future, whether they be cosplayers or not.
KJH-Photography is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2012, 11:12 PM   #420
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyywriting View Post

Giving your schedule some space between each photo shoot is generally a good idea. If there are any technical problems with your equipment, you might want to grant extended time, especially since you seem to be more about quality than quantity.

With private shoots, try to distinguish your style from random shoots by avoiding having other cosplayers in your shots, unless you are trying to capture the look of the event.

Arrange to be more selective on your locations, and take a little walk to an area you already discovered in advance. Consider the lighting of that location. There can be very flattering available light if you look around for it, or it can look terrible if you are not mindful. Shooting in the shade or indirect sun light often works very well.

Consider directing the cosplayers to look off camera, rather than always looking at your lens. Looking at the lens tends to look like they are posing, instead of doing.

Keep the cosplayers in-character. If they are supposed to be fighting, smiles are less likely the proper expression.

Try actual movement during when you snap some of your photos. This will make it look more real, and adds interesting hair and clothing movement. Use shutter speeds 1/250 or higher for better sharpness.