Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-17-2010, 05:11 AM   #31
SvK

Quote:
Originally Posted by maulrat View Post
It is like a photographer photographing a coplayer then removing all her/his costume out of the photo by cropping down to her/his face only.
I do that all the time. Is it really insulting?

If someone edits my photos, I don't think it's because she hates the photo. She's spending effort on the photo instead of moving on to someone else's photos.
SvK is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-17-2010, 12:40 PM   #32
maulrat
cabusi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvK View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maulrat
It is like a photographer photographing a coplayer then removing all her/his costume out of the photo by cropping down to her/his face only.
I do that all the time. Is that really insulting?

If someone edits my photos, I don't think it's because she hates the photo. She's spending effort on the photo instead of moving on to someone else's photos.
In a kinda sorta way. I know many cosplayers slave hours over their cos. The reason I go to cons and gatherings is not for taking photos of faces but for the fashion or cos and the model. A headshot (1/3 of body w/head) is ok some of the time. I often take headshots of there are other cosers next to my subject or annoying background people. In my previous comment, I was referring to cutting out the cos completely and just shooting the top of the head to the chin. That is insulting to me.

Last edited by maulrat : 02-17-2010 at 10:20 PM.
maulrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2010, 09:31 PM   #33
Fremen
Photog

I think there are levels to how insulting something might be...I mean, if someone takes a picture of a cosplayer, and it turns out their face came out perfect, like the most beautiful thing you ever saw...then I could understand them making a crop of just the face....but remember, these crops are not permanent edits. you can produce several versions of the same photo....one with just the face, one with the whole person....or just the headshot....with 15 megapixels, I can crop quite a few things and still get good resolution outputs.

Now on the other hand, if you are just cropping someone's cleavage or something sleazy like that...its a different story all together. That's definitely insulting.

of course, all of this is just opinion.....and this thread is inviting quite a variety of opinions from various photographers.
Currently attending Anime LA, Anime Expo, PMX and Anime Conji
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Fremen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2010, 01:40 PM   #34
Elemental
I do that photo thing...

I think the main thing to keep in mind is intent. If the photog feels they've fulfilled their intent when the finished image is posted, the idea of changing it seems to say that their intent didn't meet with the cosplayer's approval or wasn't understood. (This might simply be in documenting the costumes, or in making a specific photo-illustration.)
Whereas those who post photographs with the cosplayer's happiness first and foremost in mind don't always see such changes as an insult, but as the natural progression of the collaboration of the two. I fall into the latter category myself - while I'd be sad I missed the 'mark' so to speak in my post processing, I'd be happy that my shot was still what they were looking for and can be used as a base for their final presentation of the costume. I'd certainly accept editing (credited to the editor) in that case, instead of the cosplayer just 'moving on' to another photographer.

This is of course assuming 'reasonable' changes, which in itself is a matter of opinion. Heavy use of the liquify tool is generally frowned upon, but fixing backgrounds, tone, skin, costume malfunctions,makeup, eye colour - or changing the colour cast or contrast to better reflect the nature of the series - I won't be upset about. I still have my original, obviously, and will share that version with those who look at my work. The cosplayers I shoot are welcome to theirs as well. It's just another part of the collaboration, in my mind.
Elemental is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2010, 01:34 AM   #35
winterwish
Explosive Photographer!

regarding full/half/head shots.

I always offer 1 of each in a private gallery of each costume whenever possible.
Given it's a gallery of 8, sometimes some costumes don't get the full.
(but that's what con converage is for IMO)

in a coverage gallery, I usually put up 1 full or half depending on which pic I like.

Winter Wish/Cosplay Photography:
http://winterwish.net

Upcoming Cons: Fanime, Anime Expo, Yaoicon
Willing to do shoots around the SF area via PM.
winterwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2010, 11:17 PM   #36
Jia Jem
replicant
Rock Star Admin

Thanks to everyone who responded. It's interesting to read all the different takes on how photographers feel about cosplayers editing photos.

...I was afraid of these two different opinions.

Maulrat, you bring up an interesting point. What is a cosplayer to do if they extremely dislike the result of a photoshoot? I've had lots of really nice pics taken of me where parts of my costume are askew, or I think I look downright hideous, but I set that aside and can appreciate the atmosphere and intention of the shot.

I personally don't give a damn if there's "unflattering" pics of me up on the web. (Because everyone is their own worst critic, and I keep a sense of humor with myself.) But I know lots of cosplayers FEAR finding bad pics of them on the web. Is there any compromising with photographers about taking down embarrassing pics? Do any photographers have horror stories about models being too picky? (You don't have to be too specific, I'm just curious!)
...sorry for all the questions. :B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
This is of course assuming 'reasonable' changes, which in itself is a matter of opinion. Heavy use of the liquify tool is generally frowned upon, but fixing backgrounds, tone, skin, costume malfunctions,makeup, eye colour - or changing the colour cast or contrast to better reflect the nature of the series - I won't be upset about. I still have my original, obviously, and will share that version with those who look at my work. The cosplayers I shoot are welcome to theirs as well. It's just another part of the collaboration, in my mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maulrat View Post
Altering a photo from a photographer is sort of like spitting in their faces saying, "Your post processing work is so crappy that I need to fix it myself." It cuts deeper than one might think.
Unread 02-26-2010, 03:36 PM   #37
CPU
that photographer guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddayIce View Post
Her friend was cosplaying as well but i just didn't like the over all look of her outfit. So i didn't take her photo. But she got snappy with me and said "excuse me" so instead of being rude. I just politely took a pic of her and said. Of i must of missed you I'm sorry. How do u guys keep fron that?
LOL, I don't- procosplayer, shemales, crosplay, bad cosplay- all are equal.

Photos Here
http://www.DigViz.com
CPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2010, 03:44 PM   #38
CPU
that photographer guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvK View Post
I think perhaps it is. They slave hard to make it work from head to toe and they want at least one shot to show the hard work. No problem doing the crops as well, but at the end of the day it's ALL about the cosplay.

Photos Here
http://www.DigViz.com
CPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2010, 05:21 PM   #39
maulrat
cabusi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jia Jem View Post
Is there any compromising with photographers about taking down embarrassing pics? Do any photographers have horror stories about models being too picky? (You don't have to be too specific, I'm just curious!)
...sorry for all the questions. :B
Yes. I have come across a time, fairly recently in fact, that a cosplayer requested that I remove a photo from all my online sources; even from my paid private account. I really, really didn't want to remove it from my private site but I removed all of that particular photo from the internet. I was so in love with this photo too. So much that I slaved over 3 hours of photoshop trying to perfect it. LoLz. Although I really loved the photo and didn't feel it should be taken down, I still fulfilled the request of the cosplayer by removing it. LoL, I'm still heartbroken because I cannot display a piece of work that I loved so much.

I guess you can say that I am very passionate over my work.
maulrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2010, 05:56 PM   #40
Jim3535

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPU View Post
I think perhaps it is. They slave hard to make it work from head to toe and they want at least one shot to show the hard work. No problem doing the crops as well, but at the end of the day it's ALL about the cosplay.
I don't think anyone is suggesting that they walk around at cons only taking close crop headshots. More likely they take 3-10 shots of a cosplayer and one happens to be a close up.

A more interesting question is, if you take 3 shots of a cosplayer (2 normal, and one close up); what do you do when the the normal shots are botched for some reason? Post the close up and hope they don't hate you, or don't post anything and hope they don't notice?

I kind of feel bad when I have to delete all the shots of a particular cosplayer for one reason or another. But I suppose that's better than posing bad shots (not that I am implying the rest of my stuff is great).
Unread 02-26-2010, 08:51 PM   #41
Av4rice
shameless photo whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim3535 View Post
A more interesting question is, if you take 3 shots of a cosplayer (2 normal, and one close up); what do you do when the the normal shots are botched for some reason? Post the close up and hope they don't hate you, or don't post anything and hope they don't notice?
I typically do one and one. And if one turns out bad then, well, I don't get to use it. Sometimes both are bad so I can't use either and that sucks.

Not uncommon for me to do more than two though, like if they have more than one pose or I get the feeling that one messed up or it's a really good costume that I don't want to chance. Or it's towards the end of the day and I want to eat up the rest of my memory.
Unread 02-26-2010, 10:34 PM   #42
winterwish
Explosive Photographer!

I guess to add...
I used to delete full body shots when I couldn't fit them..

but I now put them in "con converage" so they don't get wasted - just that they can't be associated with the private photoshoot unless it's a really good one IMO.

Winter Wish/Cosplay Photography:
http://winterwish.net

Upcoming Cons: Fanime, Anime Expo, Yaoicon
Willing to do shoots around the SF area via PM.
winterwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2010, 12:04 AM   #43
Eurobeat King
Justified Photographer

I post full-body, medium, & close-up pictures in my convention-pictures and photoshoots. Cosplayers put a lot of time & effort in their costumes, not to mention any props, accessories, and make-up, so why not give them a variety of pictures to show their work, i say.

If cosplayers photoshop my pictures after I post them (or if I give the pictures to them before I post mine) I let them photoshop whatever they wish since I'm not good at photoshop, so better to let them go at it with pictures of their costume(s.) I don't mind.
"This is your job. You want a clear conscience, go start a charity. But if you want your own photography business, and your cosplayer boss says you gotta go out there and take a photo-shoot, go out there, take it, come back to work, and say "DO YOU NEED ME TO DO IT AGAIN?!!"
Eurobeat King is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2010, 12:15 AM   #44
tfcreate
Behind the lens since 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jia Jem View Post
Great idea for a thread, guys.

What do photographers think about cosplayers re-editing photos? Cropping, changing colors, airbrushing, etc. Is it considered rude, even if it's pointed out that it's been changed?
Generally, I don't have a problem with anything short of radical alteration. I'd like to be told that it's been done.

The only thing I'm dead set against is that they be used for commercial gain. Especially when they say they want them for personal albums then use them to sell stuff. I'll definitely rage on that.
TFC

Rules for life: Rule #7
Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you are.
Anime Midwest Anime Chicago Chicago Comicon
Anime Iowa
tfcreate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2010, 09:39 AM   #45
ByeByeBeautiful
angels have the phonebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim3535 View Post

I kind of feel bad when I have to delete all the shots of a particular cosplayer for one reason or another. But I suppose that's better than posing bad shots (not that I am implying the rest of my stuff is great).
I know that feeling. Unfortunately I ran into this with one of my photoshoots at Ohayocon. After shooting, most of the photos came out too blurred, dark, or blown out. This was my fault, and I didn't feel comfortable releasing those. Instead I e-mailed the entire set to the cosplayers, and let them decide what to publish on their own accounts. (Turned out they're less picky than I and used a lot of shots - still, I felt better since they made the call.)

Generally I don't delete photos, but only post the ones I'm happy with.

Quote:
What do photographers think about cosplayers re-editing photos? Cropping, changing colors, airbrushing, etc. Is it considered rude, even if it's pointed out that it's been changed?
A photo is a collaboration between cosplayer and photographer. I think both have an equal share in the work, so both may edit as they see fit.
ByeByeBeautiful is offline   Reply With Quote