Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-27-2012, 12:02 PM   #466
expiredgumiworm
Tiki Crafts

Thanks for the input. Just to be clear. They are the ones to mount on the end of the lense, not between the lense n body.

Another alternative: There are e-mount adapters i can get to put on other brands. What brands are good but not as expensive?

I will eventually get the fancy sony ones in about 2 years after I graduate, but I cannot afford it right now.

and/or

Follow my cosplay blog: Tiki Crafts Blogspot
expiredgumiworm is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #467
Shoji-Aoyama
Dual Wielding Nikonian

obviously the Sony adapter for Sony A-Mount will Mount Sony glass on there and Autofocus with it, theyre pricey and only the newer LA-EA2 will support Autofocus with non internal motor lenses, I dunno if their entry tele-zooms are in that category or not, since I dont research it, but if you want to keep AUtofocus thats the only real way to do it

as for other brands to do it, Canon and Nikon are the obvious choices to go to, and they both have decent entry-level tele zooms, of the two I recomend Nikon just because Canon's all-electronic lens control wont allow you to control the aperture, whereas Nikkors, with their mechanical aperture connections can be controled by a ring on the adapter, but you have to buy one specifically for Nikon G-lenses. . . ALL these options will be Manual focus only, so youd have to be pretty comfortable with doing it to go this way. . . BUT with third party lens makers picking up support for the E-Mount it may be a small matter of time before a cheaper tele zoom dedicated to the E-Mount will show up

Upcoming:
Unread 05-27-2012, 05:07 PM   #468
expiredgumiworm
Tiki Crafts

No I dont use auto focus, so it isnt an issue.

and/or

Follow my cosplay blog: Tiki Crafts Blogspot
expiredgumiworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 09:49 AM   #469
Foques

well, you're missing out

Tamron, Sigma, Tokina.. to name the bigger ones. Zeiss makes fantastic glass, but, seeing that you're looking to save money.. this is not an option.
I've used glass from all three other brands.. and switched back to the "parent" brand because the glass wasn't good enough for me.
In their defense, though, those lenses are cheap..
Unread 05-29-2012, 10:51 AM   #470
Ashurachan
now behind the lens

For good manual focus lenses at an affordable price, have a look at the Samyang line.
Bad news : on all brands but Nikon, aperture is also manual.
Ashurachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2012, 06:18 PM   #471
zibbazabba905

is there anything wrong with using a stock 18-55 lens vs a prime lens besides not having the 1.8f aperture? I've heard using prime lenses forces you to get closer/better shots, but isn't that just a mental problem?
zibbazabba905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2012, 06:24 PM   #472
Access

What's hard with the kit zoom is to get a defocus or blurred background, you can do that pretty easily with the prime, but not with the kit zoom.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2012, 06:51 PM   #473
Foques

Primes generally offer a higher sharpness.
Higher aperture allows for easier dof control and light collection, but isn't necessary for quality images. I'm a firm believer of upgrading to better glass/camera at the point when one sees WHY a new piece is needed.
"defocus"is called bokeh, and it isn't hard to achieve with any lens as long as photog knows what he / she is doing..
Unread 06-13-2012, 07:29 PM   #474
Access

Actually bokeh is a very imprecise word, it can refer to the level or amount of defocus but most of the time it means the aesthetic quality or the look of the defocus areas, not the amount... why people like me prefer to just avoid it entirely.
Unread 06-13-2012, 09:16 PM   #475
sukotsuto
Just call me Scott (^_^)

This seems like an opportunity to talk about Japanese, I'm all over it.

暈ける
bokeru
(v1,vi) To be faded; to be hazy; to be blurred; to be out of focus.(P)

So bokeh is based on that verb most likely and as Access was saying, the general idea of it is the aesthetic quality of the blur rather than the amount.

The "h" in bokeh is there to help westerners properly pronounce the word.

I've kind of given up on that though because it's so much easier to say "bokeh" than "background blur" every time I want to refer to it.

As for any lens being able to make blur, that's true to a point. However, try getting natural thin depth of field in a full body portrait. My only lens capable to the point I feel it is sufficient is the 85mm f1.4 lens. No kit lens will do that. I love full body portraits with nice background blur.
Unread 06-13-2012, 09:37 PM   #476
Access

Well the other reason to avoid it is because it can be insulting, like calling some an idiot. What you mean as a compliment (of a photo) might be taken very wrong, taken to refer to the photographer or the person in the photo, and esp. among japanese it can be hard to recover from something like that or brush it off after the fact.

Boke does not mean idiot in a casual/funny way like baka or ⑨, but more someone who has limited mental capacity due to advanced age, mental condition, prior drug use, etc.; or it can also mean that person is just plain dull and no fun to be around. Remember that japanese sentence structure is different than english so attributions can get mixed up when using multiple subjects in the same sentence. For example:
"the girl in this photo looks really nice, and really nice bokeh too"
can be taken in the wrong way.

Last edited by Access : 06-13-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Unread 06-13-2012, 10:23 PM   #477
sukotsuto
Just call me Scott (^_^)

True, that's too bad. Although I guess it is similar to otaku which can be a derogatory term for nerd as well as meaning a person's house. They just have to figure out the context unless it is written (with the proper kanji).
Unread 06-13-2012, 10:34 PM   #478
Access

In Japan, Otaku is worse than nerd, especially because of the media portrayal.

http://www.isugoi.com/otaku-social-p...-within-japan/
(start reading at the second paragraph)

Violent acts, especially crimes committed against children, are typically blamed on Otaku even if the perpetrator is later shown to have no interest whatsoever in anime, manga, or cosplay.

Many people in Japan who enjoy anime or manga, or, god forbid, cosplay, do their best to keep it a secret as being 'outed' can mean losing your job, being disowned by your family, having to leave town, or being arrested without cause by the local authorities.

All the times I have gotten requests to take down video, photos, etc. that I posted online, it's always come from someone in Japan who feared by 'outed' by the photo or video. In Japan, there is a special place for photography at a con and photography is forbidden on the con floor, one of the reasons is this (the other major reason is crowded-ness). Things like contact information is often kept secret, or a person's real name and identity is often known only by a select few, if that.

Last edited by Access : 06-13-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Unread 06-14-2012, 12:00 AM   #479
wasabiprodution
Yaoi-MAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Access View Post
Many people in Japan who enjoy anime or manga, or, god forbid, cosplay, do their best to keep it a secret as being 'outed' can mean losing your job, being disowned by your family, having to leave town, or being arrested without cause by the local authorities.
^ true, when i was in japan for highschool people were telling me how im able to show my love for anime/manga other related stuff etc. in public, and thats when someone told me that anime/manga is frowned upon due to many reasons. One is that anime and Manga partially have their own language. Remember that Japanese society is still based on a quite strict hierarchy. When a person of a low position doesn’t use humble speech in Anime, he/she might get away with it and the audience may find it funny even. But never try it in real life: you’ll end up as an outcast. This is what my japanese teacher told me "It isnt normal."

PS. when going to japan/any other foreign school be prepared to be asked a gazillion questions lol.

A dying scream makes no sound.
wasabiprodution is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2012, 07:53 AM   #480
Ashurachan
now behind the lens

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibbazabba905 View Post
is there anything wrong with using a stock 18-55 lens vs a prime lens besides not having the 1.8f aperture? I've heard using prime lenses forces you to get closer/better shots, but isn't that just a mental problem?
The large aperture is helpful for two things :
- like already said, more background blur
- also, since the large aperture lets more light in, it allows for better pictures in low light (since you don't have to crank up ISO so much), without having to use a flash

The other big plus with primes is the superior image quality you can get at a reasonable price : since it is less complicated to design and make, you get way better sharpness, contrast and colors than with a zoom of the same price. Even Canon't 50/1.8, the cheapest lens they make, has image quality way above a standard zoom.
Ashurachan is offline   Reply With Quote