Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-19-2010, 04:36 AM   #76
Fremen
Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiche603 View Post
I've had this question for awhile:
Do you like it when a cosplayer approaches you for a photo or do you like to approach the cosplayer?
I can't remember if it's been asked or not. Sorry if someone asked before.
Well since that's one of the main reasons I go to cons these days, I actually love it if that happens. I can't recall it ever happening though, but it sure would be a nice change.
Currently attending Anime LA, Anime Expo, PMX and Anime Conji
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Fremen is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-19-2010, 11:32 AM   #77
SvK

Quote:
Do you like it when a cosplayer approaches you for a photo or do you like to approach the cosplayer?
I am surprised when someone I don't know asks me for a photo. I guess I look like the sort of guy who carries business cards, otherwise how would she ever find the picture she wants me to take?
SvK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2010, 12:39 PM   #78
psychoaccess
lithium || flower

Quote:
I've had this question for awhile:
I can't remember if it's been asked or not. Sorry if someone asked before.
I'd actually feel presumptuous and awkward walking up to a photographer and asking if they'd take my photo. I don't know, it just seems like it'd feel weird to me as a cosplayer.
Maybe if I knew that photographers liked being approached it'd be different, but I never heard of it happening.

||CURRENT||
Medic & Torakaka & Gou - AWA

||PAST||
{Gaila; Star Trek} {Torakaka; BlazBlue} {Sister of Battle; Warhammer40k} {Bride Witch; Left 4 Dead 2} {fem!RedMedic; Team Fortress 2} {Motoko Kusanagi; GitS: S.A.C 2nd GIG} {Zoey; Left 4 Dead}
psychoaccess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2010, 02:08 PM   #79
Fremen
Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoaccess View Post
I'd actually feel presumptuous and awkward walking up to a photographer and asking if they'd take my photo. I don't know, it just seems like it'd feel weird to me as a cosplayer.
Maybe if I knew that photographers liked being approached it'd be different, but I never heard of it happening.
Hmm, you know what. I'm tempted to get a t-shirt made for my next CON that simply says "ask me for a photograph" maybe I'll get more photos that way.

The last comic con I went to, I spent 2 days of countless hours looking for cosplayers to photograph and then when I look at other's comic con galleries I realize I didn't come anywhere close to getting pictures of everyone. Ok I know, its pretty much impossible to considering the size of it...but I do like to try anyway.
Unread 03-19-2010, 02:49 PM   #80
Surfsama
Noob with a Nikon

Quote:
I would guess it depends how approachable the photographer projects him/herself and if they're shooting hallway photos or are concentrating on a photoshoot. I probably wouldn't bother a photographer engaged in a photoshoot but if he/she is just taking a variety of shots and seems approachable I wouldn't hesitate asking for a shot or shoot. Sometimes photographers (myself) have a hard time reading cosplayers and may unintentionally not ask for their picture because they may seem preoccupied or not interested. The worst that could happen is he/she says no but with the number of photographers at cons these days there will almost certainly be someone that would be happy to take your picture.
Surfsama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2010, 03:06 PM   #81
CPU
that photographer guy

Quote:
Na, you go ahead and ask us, that's what we're there for after all

Sometimes Cons are like school prom, with everyone standing by the wall, waiting for the other side to ask for a dance- someone, anyone, make the first move ^_-

Photos Here
http://www.DigViz.com

Last edited by CPU : 03-19-2010 at 03:10 PM.
CPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2010, 03:55 PM   #82
Fremen
Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPU View Post
Na, you go ahead and ask us, that's what we're there for after all

Sometimes Cons are like school prom, with everyone standing by the wall, waiting for the other side to ask for a dance- someone, anyone, make the first move ^_-
hah, nice comparison.

Remember the days when girls would wait eons for the guy to ask them to dance? lame!
Unread 03-19-2010, 04:51 PM   #83
psychoaccess
lithium || flower

Haha! A t-shirt advertisement would be a good idea!

Alright then, I suppose I should know that photographers are there for a reason, haha. I guess I could see it being a relief to a photographer to have someone walk up and ask, being an interested subject, instead having to tap cosplayers and ask all of the time. It's good to have some insight. I might try going up to one at my next convention if I see one that is looking for a subject or seems bored. Thanks for the reassurance. =]

||CURRENT||

||PAST||
{Gaila; Star Trek} {Torakaka; BlazBlue} {Sister of Battle; Warhammer40k} {Bride Witch; Left 4 Dead 2} {fem!RedMedic; Team Fortress 2} {Motoko Kusanagi; GitS: S.A.C 2nd GIG} {Zoey; Left 4 Dead}
Unread 03-20-2010, 01:13 AM   #84
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

It is perfectly fine to ask me to take photos, if I am being hired for a photo shoot . However, it could be a bit awkward if I am asked to take photos for free, since I am selective about who I want to photograph. I am more about quality than quantity.

Since my camera is digital, it costs me nothing to take a few courtesy photos, rather than say "No". On the other hand, if I like your costume, I might be happy to do a spontaneous photo shoot with you.

Last edited by brucer007 : 03-22-2010 at 01:45 PM.
brucer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2010, 01:34 AM   #85
mrgetalife
Foxkeh Says Hi!

Ah you brought up the money factor. Part of the fear from the cosplayer from walking up. They are afraid that every photographer wants to charge. But not everyone does and you won't find that out until you ask. And if both sides don't agree upon whatever that brings then its nice meeting you have a nice day. So go ahead and ask away. Eventually you'll run into most of the regular photographers in your region and have a good idea who's who.
mrgetalife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2010, 06:57 AM   #86
CPU
that photographer guy

Personally: I don't charge to take shots if the cosplayer is willing to sign the release form. Prints I have to charge for (obviously).

I have yet to come across a reportage toger who charges, so it's probably unlikely you'll have to worry about "money". The pro togers are usually on the clock, so they may have to decline a request.

Photos Here
http://www.DigViz.com
CPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2010, 12:38 PM   #87
psychoaccess
lithium || flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucer007 View Post
It is perfectly fine to ask me to take photos, if I am being hired for a photo shoot . However, it could be a bit awkward if I am asked to take photos for free, since I am selective about who I want to photograph.

Since my camera is digital, it costs me nothing to take a few courtesy photos, rather than say "No".
See, this is what makes me feel extremely awkward. First, I don't know it the person I ask wants to bother with me/my costume, and I don't want to put myself or the photographer in that odd situation.

Maybe I just haven't been to enough conventions or interacted much with the photographers enough to know much about how the dynamics work between cosplayer/photographer. I've been asked for quick picture by some, but I don't know any photographers like some cosplayers seem to do.

||CURRENT||

||PAST||
Unread 03-20-2010, 02:59 PM   #88
Eurobeat King
Justified Photographer

I almost always ask cosplayers for pictures first. Sometimes cosplayers who are my friends, or cosplayers who know who I am but I may have forgotten who they are on this site, come up and say hi. That's when I ask them for their picture.

I appreciate when they do that, cos a lot of times, people see me and they don't come up to say hi because they see me taking pictures, they think I'm too busy. If cosplayers come up to me while I'm taking pictures, I'll be happy to stop doing a photoshoot (most of the times the cosplayer I am taking pictures of already won't mind) and grab a few pictures, or else tell the cosplayer to wait just a few minutes and I'll be right with him/her.

So if you see me when you're in-costume, please come-up and say hello, and I'll be glad to take your picture or ask that you'll patiently wait. By doing so, you got next!
"This is your job. You want a clear conscience, go start a charity. But if you want your own photography business, and your cosplayer boss says you gotta go out there and take a photo-shoot, go out there, take it, come back to work, and say "DO YOU NEED ME TO DO IT AGAIN?!!"
Eurobeat King is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2010, 07:41 PM   #89
VickyBunnyAngel
Puchuu

Great thread! I'll be lurking here every now and then =D

Question: During photoshoots, do photographers like cosplayers to be sociable and chatty, or do you prefer us to shut up and just pose?

I don't mean talking through the whole photoshoot (I can see that being annoying), but in between like when the photographer is fixing equipment or doing test shots.

Emerald Scorpion Creations
2012 Upcoming conventions: G-Anime, Katsucon, Con-G, Anime North, Otakuthon, Fan Expo, Youmacon

Costumes 2012: Yuuko (xxxHolic), Miku (Alice Human Sacrifice Vocaloid), V-13 (Blazblue), Homura (Puella Magi Madoka Magica), Ninian (Fire Emblem), La Noire Musketeer (Granado Espada)

Watch me on deviantART: http://vickybunnyangel.deviantart.com/

Join me at Costume Con 32 in Toronto!
VickyBunnyAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2010, 12:05 AM   #90
Eurobeat King
Justified Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickyBunnyAngel View Post
=D

Question: During photoshoots, do photographers like cosplayers to be sociable and chatty, or do you prefer us to shut up and just pose?

I don't mean talking through the whole photoshoot (I can see that being annoying), but in between like when the photographer is fixing equipment or doing test shots.
I think communicating with the cosplayer during the shoot is fun and appreciated. Cosplayers usually hold still when the photographer says "hold it.." or "ready?" and it's when I say "change pose!" or "ok, good!" then they can move. After taking a few pictures, I like to show the cosplayers the pictures I've taken and get their reaction, and see if they like or dislike any. Then the shooting continues, with myself thinking of another pose or ask if they'd like any specific-pose.
"This is your job. You want a clear conscience, go start a charity. But if you want your own photography business, and your cosplayer boss says you gotta go out there and take a photo-shoot, go out there, take it, come back to work, and say "DO YOU NEED ME TO DO IT AGAIN?!!"

Last edited by Eurobeat King : 03-22-2010 at 12:10 AM.
Eurobeat King is offline   Reply With Quote