Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Legend of Zelda

Unread 02-24-2010, 11:04 AM   #1
Lymore

Link costumes for a 9 month old and a 19 month old. Please help?

Okay, so my friend had the idea to make Link costumes for our kids for the upcoming convention. Young Link for my 9 month old and erm... older (?) Link for her 19 month old. (Sorry if I come off as stupid sometimes, I only played Ocarina of Time years ago and don't remember much besides hiding in the water at night, my friend, and my boyfriend are the Legend of Zelda fans, I'm just the one who knows how to sew)
I've tried to look up tutorials, or even hints for making a Link costume for a baby, and all I find is the (ever so cute) knitted Link costume someone made for their friend's baby shower. It did give me the idea to make a baby bottle quiver, but besides that, not much help as I seriously lack in knitting skills. Also, we live in Florida, so a fully knitted costume would be very uncomfortable for the little ones.

I was just wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a tutorial, or tips, or maybe give me some insight it would be so greatly appreciated. I've never made a costume for a baby or a toddler!
Lymore is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-24-2010, 12:21 PM   #2
Crazyguylink
Crazyguylink

Little Links?

Well, I like the idea for the costume (maybe you and your boyfriend can go as Link and Zelda, making the little ones the children... Just an idea...) and i Like the idea of a baby bottle quivers. On the same line, maybe you can integrate either the sword or shield into a pacifier. Now, I understand the problem of knitted clothes, especially in warm locales and how time consuming they are (I make scarfs for my niece, takes a while to finish) so perhaps a durable fabric instead like cotton or polyester for the outfit would work better.

The best idea for the costume for the little ones would best be a fabric that is light and breathes, this would make the costume more comfortable. As for the costume design, I happen to have a link on hand that goes step by step. so here it is (Da-da-da-daaaaaa! [couldn't resist]):
http://www.trsrockin.com/link.html

It fairly generic, but it's a good place to start. Hope it helps.
Crazyguylink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2010, 01:15 PM   #3
puddle_jumper
kani honehone a ka ukulel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lymore View Post
Okay, so my friend had the idea to make Link costumes for our kids for the upcoming convention. Young Link for my 9 month old and erm... older (?) Link for her 19 month old. (Sorry if I come off as stupid sometimes, I only played Ocarina of Time years ago and don't remember much besides hiding in the water at night, my friend, and my boyfriend are the Legend of Zelda fans, I'm just the one who knows how to sew)
I've tried to look up tutorials, or even hints for making a Link costume for a baby, and all I find is the (ever so cute) knitted Link costume someone made for their friend's baby shower. It did give me the idea to make a baby bottle quiver, but besides that, not much help as I seriously lack in knitting skills. Also, we live in Florida, so a fully knitted costume would be very uncomfortable for the little ones.

I was just wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a tutorial, or tips, or maybe give me some insight it would be so greatly appreciated. I've never made a costume for a baby or a toddler!
Hi!
I have made a Link costume for a 6 month old and a Zelda costume for a 2 year old.
For the 6 month old link, I made the tunic as usual, but I used a pattern from Mcalls or maybe butterick that was knights and princesses for babies. It was just a basic tunic.
For the undertunic and pants, I died a long sleeved white onsie tan.
I used a thin vinyl for the belt and baldrick and
foam cut out and painted bronzey-gold for the buckles on the belt and baldrick.
The hat, I made as a usual hat, just had the babe's head measuremnets and made a triagle shaped hat. Making sure it was soft inside and comfortable for the baby's head.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...yton/baby2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...eyton/baby.jpg

Here are two examples

Last edited by puddle_jumper : 02-24-2010 at 01:18 PM.
puddle_jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2010, 02:06 PM   #4
Lymore

Thank you! I'll see what they have at Jo-Ann Fabrics for the patterns.
I was going to use a long sleeved onesie for my friend's son (he's going to be the older Link)
I like the idea for making the buckles out of foam.

Aww, those pics are so cute!
Lymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
puddle_jumper
kani honehone a ka ukulel

You're Welcome!
Thanks and Good luck!
puddle_jumper is offline   Reply With Quote