Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-11-2011, 01:25 AM   #196
tfcreate
Behind the lens since 68

Maybe it's just me, but about half of the photos I take are at the cosplayer's request. Typically they have an idea or a specific look that they want. Since they almost always know the character better than I, I'm more than happy to oblige them.

I encourage anyone that needs a photo, just ask.
Getting a photographer to take a photo is like asking a 4 year old to eat candy.
And if you ask for nothing then don't be surprised at what you get.

Rules for life: Rule #7
Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you are.
Anime Midwest Anime Chicago Chicago Comicon
Anime Iowa

Last edited by tfcreate : 08-12-2011 at 12:11 AM. Reason: I saw a duck
tfcreate is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-11-2011, 02:45 AM   #197
sukotsuto
Just call me Scott (^_^)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvK View Post
Please tell people when you switch from photos to video. Many video cameras look like still cameras, so I see many videos of cosplayers patiently holding their poses while the cameraman waits for them to do something interesting.
For sure. My cameras are DSLRs that can take video.
Unread 08-11-2011, 09:55 AM   #198
DarkCloudInc
S. M. R. T. I mean...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukotsuto View Post
Thanks for all of the great responses! I guess it all comes down to human nature.

I have another question:
I want to get more into video, but I'm not sure how to include that when I ask people for photos. From a cosplayer's point of view, how do you feel about being asked for video? I literally spend all of 5 seconds per person with hall photos most of the time, so I probably have some time to work with before getting irritating. I think I'll start with photos and then ask if they want to try some action poses for video. I'd feel bad if the video isn't used or doesn't turn out though.

I plan on trying to get more video for Chicago Comic Con on Saturday as I'll have two SLRs with one dedicated to video capture.
Given the dramatic fashion of my wings, I was expecting quite a few people to record video of me doing it. It was an honor to have people record video of my wings opening and closing.

However, if I wasn't wearing folding wings or cosplaying a non-action genre based character, the response I'd give is, "Umm... ok?" o.O

With my action genre based characters, it would be expected.

But if you were someone like AcksonLee where cosplayers come flocking to you, then it would one of those kinds of situations where you say jump, their response is how high or an immediate jump.

Btw, wizard world? o.O
---
Planned Cosplay 2014 - Winged Armor Year: Tentative
Pegasus God Cloth - Silver [Saint Seiya]
ACen?: Sat?
DarkCloudInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 11:46 AM   #199
sukotsuto
Just call me Scott (^_^)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCloudInc View Post
Btw, wizard world? o.O
The only sci-fi convention I've been to is c2e2 and that had just as much cosplay as an Anime convention. I'm just assuming this convention isn't any different...
Unread 08-11-2011, 03:10 PM   #200
Tamuril
Hime Hime

[quote=sukotsuto;4088771]
I have another question:
I want to get more into video, but I'm not sure how to include that when I ask people for photos. From a cosplayer's point of view, how do you feel about being asked for video? I literally spend all of 5 seconds per person with hall photos most of the time, so I probably have some time to work with before getting irritating. I think I'll start with photos and then ask if they want to try some action poses for video. I'd feel bad if the video isn't used or doesn't turn out though. QUOTE]

personally, I love being asked to do video! its so much fun for me to ham it up for the camera and sometimes i feel like i can show more of the character's personality than with just a simple picture

check out my facebook page ( facebook.com/dragonesscosplay) or my website (www.dragonesscosplay.com)
Tamuril is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 03:58 PM   #201
NeonBunnyGirl
I fancy Poop.

Quote:
Here is a question for cosplayers. Why don't you ask photographers to take your photo?
I personally do not ask photographers for photo's because i don't wanna pester them when they could be busy, plus I don't know enough poses to warrant more than 1-5 minutes of someones time imo.. Also I'm usually awfully shy when talking to people outside of my small con group. I do love having my picture taken and love even more when photographers ask me to do minishoots but i don't think I'd ever be able to ask a random photographer to take my pictures for me... I don't want them to feel like they have too or anything.

Quote:
From a cosplayer's point of view, how do you feel about being asked for video?
whenever asked for videos i get really flustered, i never know what to do. My characters do have action moves they do but I can't actually do them lol. Mad Moxxi for instance, in game she does cart wheels, back flips and can throw her hat in the air and catch it on her head.. I can NOT do any of those.

I think IF i could actually do action poses then I'd be all for videos but since I can really only do standing still poses i see no reason for photographers to wanna take videos of me. Unless it's just a video of me saying something in character lol that i can do.
NeonBunnyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 05:41 PM   #202
sukotsuto
Just call me Scott (^_^)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonBunnyGirl View Post
whenever asked for videos i get really flustered, i never know what to do. My characters do have action moves they do but I can't actually do them lol. Mad Moxxi for instance, in game she does cart wheels, back flips and can throw her hat in the air and catch it on her head.. I can NOT do any of those.

I think IF i could actually do action poses then I'd be all for videos but since I can really only do standing still poses i see no reason for photographers to wanna take videos of me. Unless it's just a video of me saying something in character lol that i can do.
Throwing your hat and catching it on your head doesn't sound that bad. The outtakes for that could be funny. I would generally leave things up to the cosplayer, but I would not want flips or anything dangerous like that.

I think pretty much anything besides looking like a mannequin would help to make the clips interesting. I could see some neat videos with people who talk and act in character, but getting decent audio adds another layer of difficulty.

Last edited by sukotsuto : 08-11-2011 at 05:43 PM.
sukotsuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 11:24 AM   #203
Pocketfightr
Merc who grants wishes

Quote:
In the many years I've been cosplaying, I've been asked maybe 4 times for this? Unfortunately, because it's so infrequent, I'm never prepared and can't think up good actions on the fly. After watching some videos that were linked recently, I only just realized the person at the last Otakon I attended (few years ago), was possibly wanting to do that tech where they circle the cosplayer for a music video. I'm fairly certain I looked rather confused/bewildered because they didn't explain clearly what was going to happen/how it was to be used. :\ If you're clear on what you want to use it for, I'm sure most cosplayers would be happy for it.
Nene (Bubblegum Crisis) -eventually?

2014 Cons:
Detour
Acen
Dragon*Con
Nebraskon
Pocketfightr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 05:04 PM   #204
Hcoregamer00
PMX/Otakorp/Lunar Fest

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfcreate View Post
Maybe it's just me, but about half of the photos I take are at the cosplayer's request. Typically they have an idea or a specific look that they want. Since they almost always know the character better than I, I'm more than happy to oblige them.

I encourage anyone that needs a photo, just ask.
Getting a photographer to take a photo is like asking a 4 year old to eat candy.
And if you ask for nothing then don't be surprised at what you get.
It is just you, 95% of my photos are taken because I take the initiative and ask them to pose. A cosplayer would go up to me and ask for shots so rarely that when it does happen it does feel good.

I would love it if more cosplayers were more assertive when it comes to asking for photos.

Photography Blog, dA, FB Fan Page, Personal Blog

Future Cons: San Diego Comic Con, Anime California, Comikaze Expo, Pacific Media Expo
Hcoregamer00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2011, 01:00 AM   #205
firecloak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurobeat King View Post
If a photographer asks for you to pose next to (or on) a vehicle (cars, motorcyles, etc.) that doesn't belong to either of you, but you happen to be there, are you hesitant to pose next to it or all-for-it cos it would look cool in the picture?
It's totally fine with me if I pose next to it, but I don't want to sit on a car (might scratch it) or a motorcycle if I don't know the owner. I don't see any harm in standing beside it though.

Last edited by firecloak : 10-03-2011 at 01:02 AM.
firecloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2011, 03:06 PM   #206
teh chiriness
The Gatekeeper

I've been waiting since Monday to post on this thread but my post wasn't approved until today and I wanted to link to my post (in General Cosplay chat) regarding the question I'm about to ask everyone.

Here is my question:

How do you feel about photos taken of you in your cosplay work at conventions and then finding out that they are being sold as stock photos... WITHOUT your permission?

I posted a thread topic on this here for those who are interested to know more about the recent incident that happened with me regarding this issue.

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=257254

It would be great to get others responses to this matter since I'm looking for all the help/advice I can get. Thanks! =)
teh chiriness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 02:39 PM   #207
robert-heck

Quote:
What do you expect from the photographer?
Not much in a public setting (hallway, walking around sorta stuff) being asked to have my picture taken is about it. A card or some other form of me being able to find the picture would be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jia Jem View Post
Do cosplayers get embarrassed or offended when photographers photoshop out certain traits? Distinguishing moles, scars, birthmarks, tattoos, piercings?

What about when it goes farther, such as skin blurring and body morphing?
If it makes the picture/person look better sure otherwise I think those things usually help make the Cosplay theirs. Using myself as an example, I have slight acne scars all over my face, so removing them makes me look funny and takes away from my individuality, I have chosen to cosplay because I want to look like X character but not 100%, I want to be me looking as X character. Now if I had a massive white head/pimple or shiny/oily forehead that day I'd like that removed, covered up, fixed haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvK View Post
CPU mentioned prints in "Ask a Photographer", which makes me ask, are cosplayers interested in physical copies of their photos, the kind that can be framed or hung on a wall?
5x7s sure, huge poster stuff more often then not I'd say no, but giving me the option would be cool. Giving me the high res photo (subtle watermark/copyright on it, I would see as an artist's signature which would be cool), offering to make prints, or having the photos hosted somewhere that lets you make prints (I know about zenfolio does this but I don't think its free, not sure).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trowa Al View Post
Question for the cosplayers: We know that cosplayers get disappointed when photographers don't take your picture (they didn't see you, they were busy, you were busy, your costume(s) isn't as recognized as others, etc.) But when a photographer does takes your picture, like a few, but takes more of other cosplayers, do you feel satisfied that your picture was taken? Or do you feel that more should've been taken of your costume? Would you ask a photographer to take more of you if you wanted more pictures?
I don't take it personally, the fact they asked to take my pic at all is flattering enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juusanbantaigrr View Post
Question: If there is already a largeish group of photographer's taking pics of a cosplayer, then is it okay to just slip in and start taking your own photos as well?
If a large group of photographers is there already then sure, if its a small group (1-3 or so) a quick request would be nice just for courtesy's sake.

Quote:
I've been getting requests for more "action" shots. Problem is, many of the cosplays are literally held together with glue and safety pins, so real "action," is not an option.
Some of the action poses can suffice, but I don't want to disappoint.
Which do you prefer, action poses or actually capturing the action in motion?
TFC
My Hazama costume I'm planning to make it "action" shot friendly so I will be trying to replicate/tweak the action shots from the game. So I would prefer some action shots if I get asked because I do feel they tend to look cooler than posed shots in general, though posed shots can look really good when done right by the model and photographer so I guess it depends on the Cosplayer's Costume if it allows action shots cool otherwise cosplayers shouldn't do them if it means risking their costume imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterling View Post
New question (or two)! When I do photography of a cosplayer, or anyone for that matter, I tend to do more artistic shots rather than just hallway snapshots. At the end of a convention I will look over all the photos I've taken and then clean up and use the ones I like most by placing them on my site. When I do this, I put a watermark on them with my website address in the corner. This is just for my protection since I don't want my hard work to get stolen and shoved up anywhere on flicker without proper credit.

So, question 1: As a cosplayer, are you ok with receiving your photos with a watermark in the corner of the file so long as it's kept non-obtrusive and doesn't detract from the image? Bear in mind that I'm not charging for the photoshoot.

Question 2: I'm going to be getting cards made up to take with me since so many people kept asking where to find their photos from the convention. Should I wait to give a card until it is asked for or offer it up once I snap a few shots? I don't want to go tossing a card in someone's face if they really don't care a lick about seeing what I took.

Question 3: What is the best way you have found so far for a photographer to put you at ease when taking a photo? Examples would be great. I don't usually have TOO many issues with this because I'm a 5'4" female so most people don't really feel threatened but I know I can also come across fairly strong in my personality (military training) and want to make sure I'm not going to scare anyone.

Question 4: What is the worst behavior that you've seen in photographers that you'd like us to avoid?

And finally, Question 5: Is there anything you've maybe seen done by other photographers that you'd like to see more of? What helps make a photoshoot great for you? Anything you wish more photographers did?

Ok, so number 5 is a LOT of questions but I'm done now, I promise. I just want to make sure that when I go to the conventions I have coming up, I can try my hardest to make it a great experience for both myself AND the cosplayers I want to grab pics of.
1. Sure.

2. I don't know what to expect from a photographer aside from a quick request for a pic, so offering it up would be great. After all a cosplayer could just say no thanks, and you got the photo and can walk away knowing you did offer them the option to find the picture later.

3. I am very awkward when in front of a camera outside of a costume, because I'm fairly new to cosplaying myself I'm extremely awkward in front of a camera in costume at least I feel that I am.
If I look funny/boring let me know because I want you to get the best photo of me in costume that you can get. After all I am proud of my costume and don't want my awkwardness to get in the way even if the photo is just for your private collection.

4. Lack of patience is probably the biggest thing. Even if you don't know the character I expect you to know what looks bad for a photo so speak up about it, just remember word it constructively.

I don't know how much that would apply to other cosplayers though as I could see some being offended by you saying something about their look/pose/etc.

5. Make me almost forget about the camera. If I can feel like I've just made a nice acquaintance that I could see becoming a friend if we kept chatting then I will feel a lot less awkward posing for the pic.

Something like taking interest in the costume, generic is fine after all I wouldn't expect you to know all cosplays. Maybe something like: "Wow your costume looks awesome do you mind if I get a few pictures? How long did it take to make the costume?" Oh and be genuine about it haha a sacastic "wow" could get you a "no" even though I love sarcasm lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fox View Post
Do you find it a little odd/ creepy/ what ever you want to call it when someone photographs you while you are not posing and just being a person? If it does, would you feel better if the photographer would come up to you and explain what the purpose was(something as my goal was)?
Find it odd/creepy yes, is it unexpected no. I would feel better if after getting the candid shot you let me know you got a pic and even let me know where it will be. While it may not be the most flattering I'd still want to see it because who knows, it might look cool or at worst be a picture I can laugh at myself about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfsama View Post
Do any of you cosplayers find a particular photo hosting site easier to navigate when the time comes to run the gauntlet of photos to find yourselves on the net?
I prefer to host my own pictures because I get full control of how they will appear, be searchable, etc. But I'm also fairly tech savy. For public hosts I can't really say I like any one over the other, though as others have said DA's search doesn't seem to be all that great.

Quote:
Here is a question for cosplayers. Why don't you ask photographers to take your photo?
I don't ask because I'm shy, less shy while in costume but I won't lie that being told "no" or the equivalent would hurt me a bit. So I wouldn't ask.

If I know the character and feel I can pull off something that would look better in video over a picture, and there was room for it then I'd think it was a cool idea. Otherwise I would feel weird/awkward.

Off-topic: After answering these questions I'm thinking for my next cosplay idea I should pick a character who is awkward LOL.
FFXIV White Mage AF Armor: 0%

My Blog]
robert-heck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2012, 05:16 PM   #208
CaitieAteTapee
Queen of YOLO

As a Cosplayer, i love it when the Photographer tells you what pose to do.
Id suggest if youre doing a photoshoot for someone to at least get the gist of the anime who your models are cosplaying from. Why?
Well i worked with a photographer once for a photoshoot and she didnt have a clue what our anime was about. She had no idea what to tell us to do and us of course were clueless because I for one had never done a photoshoot before and the other two people werent sure what to do either. The whole photoshoot took longer than it should have and we didnt get all that many pictures out of it. So if you know the anime, you could tell the cosplayers what to do and what would look nice and it would take up less time and the pictures would be better and not so derpy. <3
CaitieAteTapee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2012, 05:50 PM   #209
Surfsama
Noob with a Nikon

While that's good advice and it certainly does help when the photographer knows the anime series character(s) for a photoshoot it might be a bit unreasonable to expect the photographer to know all the nuance of each series. Cosplayers have a responsibility in creating a successful photoshoot too. If you simply show-up to a photoshoot and expect the photographer to choreograph the entire session then he/she might as well shoot a mannequin. I would say that you work with your photographer and exchange ideas before the shoot. Good photographers usually do some research but the cosplayer has to bring their knowledge of the character to the photoshoot too. The assumption is, if you cosplay a character there is something endearing to you about the character – right? That needs to be communicated and expressed if you want to create the photos you’re after.
Surfsama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 09:32 AM   #210
Ashurachan
now behind the lens

I sometimes have to shoot series or characters I know nothing about (for impromptu shoots ; when I have a planned shoot I do do my research), when it is the case I generally start by asking the cosplayer about the character and the aspects of his/her personnality we're going to try to convey during the shoot. If there are several characters, I ask about their relationship, in order to get a general idea of the poses they could do together.

I think it is also the cosplayer's work to think about the shots he wants done, the mood he wants to convey, a few scenes he would like to recreate, and character quirks he'd like to play with. If the photographer does not know the character well enough to have original posing ideas, he'll be glad to have some meat to work with. Bringing a couple of small accessories can bring life to the shoot, too.

The ideal is that each part brings his own ideas, it makes the shoot richer and funnier, and a common creation that everyone can be proud of. My favorite shoot last year was one of those :
http://www.cosplay-it.com/Ashura/gal...440#view-title
I came with the music video in mind and Kaito-blue ribbons to do some bondage with (sadly we weren't able to shoot inside the buildings so I had to drop most of my ideas), Lynah (the Miku) brought the birdcage, a couple of glasses and grape juice ^^ We still had some ideas left when we had to leave - the park was closing and we'd been shooting for about three hours !
Ashurachan is offline   Reply With Quote