Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-13-2010, 08:12 PM   #61
shotgunashley
:B

i most likely would not, unless the person with the vehicle/bike happened to be there to where i could ask permission. i'm kinda clumsy so i'm afraid that i might knock the bike over or do something dumb on accident.

it's probably a lot harder to do something stupid and knock over a car lol, so that might be easier, but it would have to be something ridiculously perfect for a specific shot.

If you're going to be at A-Kon or AnimeFEST this year and need a photographer for any of your cosplays, send me a PM!
shotgunashley is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-13-2010, 09:09 PM   #62
CenturyFreak

I would probably pose beside it, but most likely not on it ^^;
CenturyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2010, 10:22 AM   #63
ByeByeBeautiful
angels have the phonebox

Next to a vehicle is fine. If it's actually sitting on it, I would rather have the owner's permission.

The obvious solution is to just start buying motorcycles! One in every color, then we wouldn't have this problem! :P
ByeByeBeautiful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2010, 03:55 PM   #64
Eurobeat King
Justified Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeBeautiful View Post
The obvious solution is to just start buying motorcycles! One in every color, then we wouldn't have this problem! :P
I should check my tax refunds and see how many colors I can get.
"This is your job. You want a clear conscience, go start a charity. But if you want your own photography business, and your cosplayer boss says you gotta go out there and take a photo-shoot, go out there, take it, come back to work, and say "DO YOU NEED ME TO DO IT AGAIN?!!"
Eurobeat King is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2010, 04:12 PM   #65
Fremen
Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurobeat King View Post
I should check my tax refunds and see how many colors I can get.
Just buy a blue one and photoshop the color changes later
Currently attending Anime LA, Anime Expo, PMX and Anime Conji
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Fremen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2010, 04:46 PM   #66
Eurobeat King
Justified Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fremen View Post
Just buy a blue one and photoshop the color changes later
How did you know that blue is my favorite color?

back on-topic: Cosplayers would know that if they're posing on a stranger's vehicle, they would show the utmost respect and definitely not do anything to deface or damage the vehicle. I usually don't ask my friends or cosplayers to get onto motorcycles, but:

For the picture of Big Mama on the picture-link I provided, my friend got on it w/o me asking her to, since she wanted some pictures of

SPOILER: (highlight to read)
old-Eva
on a motorcycle just like in the game. She got off after a few shots. No harm done.
"This is your job. You want a clear conscience, go start a charity. But if you want your own photography business, and your cosplayer boss says you gotta go out there and take a photo-shoot, go out there, take it, come back to work, and say "DO YOU NEED ME TO DO IT AGAIN?!!"

Last edited by Eurobeat King : 04-14-2010 at 04:53 PM.
Eurobeat King is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2010, 08:05 PM   #67
Syagria
Imperatrix of Star + Wave

I wouldn't feel comfortable touching a stranger's vehicle - to me, that's kinda like trespassing, I guess. I don't mind it in the background of a shot, though, although I would feel better if I had the owner's permission/supervision.

Current Project: Star Trek Original Series Uniform!
Next Project: Original Creation for AB13
Most Recent Con: Nauticon 2012
Next Cons: PAX East, Anime Boston 2013
Syagria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2010, 07:14 PM   #68
jounink
Holla!

I agree with the others. standing next to a bike may be fine, yet potentially akward. However, sitting or touching someone elses bike requires permission...Unless you where magically at a dealership or "lemon" lot.
jounink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2010, 07:42 PM   #69
jinglebooboo
cupcake lover

i aint gonna lie, i have sat on someone elses motorcycle. i probably shouldn't have cuz it is rude and if i messed it up i woulda felt horrible. i dont just go around jumpin on random bikes though, and i prolly wont soon. it was a spur thing..
Unread 04-15-2010, 08:20 PM   #70
Vai
Aragami

Hehehe my bike has a motion-censored security system. Get too close and you'll hear.. "Bike-lock security system, stand back!".

Maybe I should get something more interesting, like..."This motorcycle will self-destruct in 5, 4, 3, 2...
Vai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2010, 09:59 PM   #71
jinglebooboo
cupcake lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vai View Post
Hehehe my bike has a motion-censored security system. Get too close and you'll hear.. "Bike-lock security system, stand back!".

Maybe I should get something more interesting, like..."This motorcycle will self-destruct in 5, 4, 3, 2...
lol thats awesome, i woulda shit myself if i heard that
Unread 05-10-2010, 12:43 AM   #72
Moonlit_Rose
Indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trowa Al View Post
Question for the cosplayers: We know that cosplayers get disappointed when photographers don't take your picture (they didn't see you, they were busy, you were busy, your costume(s) isn't as recognized as others, etc.) But when a photographer does takes your picture, like a few, but takes more of other cosplayers, do you feel satisfied that your picture was taken? Or do you feel that more should've been taken of your costume? Would you ask a photographer to take more of you if you wanted more pictures?
Personally, I always leave it up to the photographer. I trust the photographer's opinion! Sometimes I know some people are easier then others. Some costumes are easier, some give you more inspiration. Different angles for some costumes... But as a photographer myself, I understand different photos for different people! I would never ask the photographer for more. It's up to the photographer and I trust them to get the shot they want! Sometimes it may take only a few pictures.

Quote:
Here's a question for cosplayers:
If a photographer asks for you to pose next to (or on) a vehicle (cars, motorcyles, etc.) that doesn't belong to either of you, but you happen to be there, are you hesitant to pose next to it or all-for-it cos it would look cool in the picture? Examples:
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2417618/
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2085617/
I sometimes ask cosplayers to pose next to parked vehicles that go with their costumes, and if there are license-plates showing I try not to have the #'s showing or get someone to photoshop it out.
How do you feel about posing next to a stranger's vehicle(s) for cosplay pictures?
I would feel so shy about it! And awkward! I'm kind of shy, so I don't know if I'd speak up. I'd be terrified to touch the vehicle and scared that the owner might come nearby. Personally, if I was the owner the car I'd be interested in what you were doing, but also maybe annoyed because.. well, what if they harm the vehicle? It'd be by accident, but still it'd be a problem. I wonder if that's a little but too much... Personally I'd be very wary about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jia Jem View Post
As a *sometimes* photographer, I must ask.
Do cosplayers get embarrassed or offended when photographers photoshop out certain traits? Distinguishing moles, scars, birthmarks, tattoos, piercings?
What about when it goes farther, such as skin blurring and body morphing?
I know this one has been answered frequently, but I'm one of those with the distinguishing moles! I'd be embarrassed if someone shopped out my moles. I don't think they're distracting and distinguish me as a person. I think scars, birthmarks, freckles and moles are very touchy subjects to shop out. Some of us hate ours, some of us love ours. I think if it's a private photoshoot, asking about it would be very helpful! Otherwise.. I'd just be very careful about it. I think most photographers are very good about this though.
Moonlit_Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2010, 07:27 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangyaku View Post
I've never actually done a photoshoot with a cosplayer before and was thinking of finally trying it out this year. The only problem is that I haven't the foggiest as to how I should approach someone about doing a shoot. Any suggestions?
Just go up and say, "Hey, your cosplay really caught my interest, do you have (insert how long the photoshoot will take) min/hours to spare for a photoshoot?" I don't know about other cosplayers, but my favorite thing is having people notice my work. If you are a fun photographer to work with, and you make it a fun shoot, and send me your pictures and tell me a bit about yourself, I, personally, don't care how ugly the photos are(as long as you don't post them) because it wasn't a waste of time, and we both had a good time.

A lot of cosplayers don't want to do a shoot, or expect a professional, but a lot of amateur cosplayers would be just as interested doing a photoshoot with an amateur, because well, nobody talks to us, and we might have never done a photoshoot before. You're just building experience, right? Just talk to lots of cosplayers, and don't just talk to one super-mega-pro-awesome cosplayer, and you'll be fine.

(Although, if you asked me to do a photoshoot with you, I'd be hyperventilating on the inside, because, well, although I've talked with some photographers and seen them photograph my friend, I've never been in a photoshoot before.)
1010321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2010, 08:09 PM   #74
Surfsama
Noob with a Nikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1010321 View Post
(Although, if you asked me to do a photoshoot with you, I'd be hyperventilating on the inside, because, well, although I've talked with some photographers and seen them photograph my friend, I've never been in a photoshoot before.)
If you're going to Fanime this month...I could use the practice
Surfsama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2010, 10:28 PM   #75
QuintenCain
Growly Insomniac

Quote:
Here's a question for cosplayers:

If a photographer asks for you to pose next to (or on) a vehicle (cars, motorcyles, etc.) that doesn't belong to either of you, but you happen to be there, are you hesitant to pose next to it or all-for-it cos it would look cool in the picture? Examples:

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2417618/
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2085617/

I sometimes ask cosplayers to pose next to parked vehicles that go with their costumes, and if there are license-plates showing I try not to have the #'s showing or get someone to photoshop it out.

How do you feel about posing next to a stranger's vehicle(s) for cosplay pictures?
I know a ton of people have already thrown in their two cents on this one, but I wanna say something too. ^^

Posing next to someone else's property is fine, as long as there is no touching involved. Gettingin or onto someone's property (bike, car, w/e) is not okay. Motorcycles especially are easy to damage if you aren't careful, and the owner will probably press charges. At least everyone I know with motorcycles would, no questions asked. The motorcycle I'm sitting on in my icon is my mother's and I had permission and everything. Those suckers are expensive and valuable, and there's no way people should handle things that aren't theirs without express permission.

I know that sounds harsh, but it's like walking up to your car and seeing people just chilling inside of it, just because they wanted to. I know I'd be weirded out and worried for my stuff.

It's not just shyness that's keeping you away from other people's vehicles, it's common sense, you know? I don't think it's okay to askcosplayers to do that because it will more than likely get them into trouble. And no one wants that. People who just hop onto random bikes in parking lots seem to have no respect for other people's space.

Upcoming Costumes:
Miguel and Tulio: Road to El Dorado
Magnet Len and Kaito: Vocaloid
Hayate and Sasame: Pretear
Jak and Daxter: JakIII
SURPRISE COSPLAY!!!
--------
QuintenCain is offline   Reply With Quote