Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-12-2010, 11:50 PM   #76
Eurobeat King
Justified Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuintenCain View Post
I don't think it's okay to ask cosplayers to do that because it will more than likely get them into trouble. And no one wants that. People who just hop onto random bikes in parking lots seem to have no respect for other people's space.
I don't ask cosplayers to pose next to or on a stranger's vehicle often; those two links I provided were a couple of the rare occasions where I asked my friends to pose. Pay in mind that I tell them to be very careful from the moment they approach the vehicle, when they're touching or on it, and when they get off or move away from the vehicle. The cosplayers themselves know to respect somebody's property. It's not like they're trying to damage the vehicle.

If you want to talk about not having respect for other people's space, last year at FanimeCon when I was doing a photoshoot in a parking-lot garage, I saw that somebody had smashed the rear window of a SUV, with broken-glass everywhere. Whether it was for theft of whatever was inside, or just for the heck of it, THAT was disrespectful.
"This is your job. You want a clear conscience, go start a charity. But if you want your own photography business, and your cosplayer boss says you gotta go out there and take a photo-shoot, go out there, take it, come back to work, and say "DO YOU NEED ME TO DO IT AGAIN?!!"
Eurobeat King is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-13-2010, 01:32 AM   #77
QuintenCain
Growly Insomniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurobeat King View Post
I don't ask cosplayers to pose next to or on a stranger's vehicle often; those two links I provided were a couple of the rare occasions where I asked my friends to pose. Pay in mind that I tell them to be very careful from the moment they approach the vehicle, when they're touching or on it, and when they get off or move away from the vehicle. The cosplayers themselves know to respect somebody's property. It's not like they're trying to damage the vehicle.

If you want to talk about not having respect for other people's space, last year at FanimeCon when I was doing a photoshoot in a parking-lot garage, I saw that somebody had smashed the rear window of a SUV, with broken-glass everywhere. Whether it was for theft of whatever was inside, or just for the heck of it, THAT was disrespectful.
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like everyone meant to disrespect people's space. I'm just saying if anything did happen, even accidentally, it would suck for everyone involved.

Yeah...that's a little intense. Happened to me once, out in front of my house. They didn't even take anything! -non cosplay related- but still sucky,

Upcoming Costumes:
Miguel and Tulio: Road to El Dorado
Magnet Len and Kaito: Vocaloid
Hayate and Sasame: Pretear
Jak and Daxter: JakIII
SURPRISE COSPLAY!!!
--------
QuintenCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2010, 06:59 AM   #78
juusanbantaigrr

Question: If there is already a largeish group of photographer's taking pics of a cosplayer, then is it okay to just slip in and start taking your own photos as well?

"I'm a goddamn marvel of modern cosplay!"
juusanbantaigrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2010, 08:59 AM   #79
Hooded Woman
Coffee abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by juusanbantaigrr View Post
Question: If there is already a largeish group of photographer's taking pics of a cosplayer, then is it okay to just slip in and start taking your own photos as well?
If it's a decent sized group, no harm. You really only run into a rudeness issue on the accounts of personal photoshoots, or if a cosplayer is trying to get into a particular requested pose and you ask them to stop or...look over here. Just make sure if you want a photo but there is a group, you signal that you are about to take your photo that way the cosplayer can focus on your camera for the moment, then to the next.

Currently Crafting:
Caitlyn- League of Legends/ 40% Finished

Currently Planning to attend:
Dragon*Con 2012
Hooded Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2010, 11:33 AM   #80
andyRak
Freelance Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurobeat King View Post
I remember when I was living in Oakland back then... this sort of things happen A LOT...

Completely not related to cosplay/photography though it's just crime

-- Annie Leibovitz

Homepage: http://andyrakphoto.com
DeviantART: http://andy-rak.deviantart.com/
andyRak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 06:09 PM   #81
tfcreate
Behind the lens since 68

I've been getting requests for more "action" shots. Problem is, many of the cosplays are literally held together with glue and safety pins, so real "action," is not an option.
Some of the action poses can suffice, but I don't want to disappoint.
Which do you prefer, action poses or actually capturing the action in motion?
TFC

Rules for life: Rule #7
Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you are.
Anime Midwest Anime Chicago Chicago Comicon
Anime Iowa
tfcreate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 09:12 PM   #82
Kitsoru
Guilty Gear fangirl

In a way, I'm not sure there's really a difference...Though it certainly depends on if the cosplayer is even capable of performing the action- for example, if I was cosplaying as Chun Li, and I wanted a photo of a high-kick-- I've got pretty but flexibility, so there's no way I could pull off a real one ^^; But if the photographer could catch me in a ready to kick or similar pose to make it look like the action, I guess that would be the answer.

when it comes down to it, I would think that the entire point of an action shot is to make it look like the cosplayer is (convincingly) performing the action, whether they really are or not.
Next Cons:
Youmacon '12
My Curecos
My ACP
My dA
Kitsoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 09:31 PM   #83
Eurobeat King
Justified Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooded Woman View Post
You really only run into a rudeness issue on the accounts of personal photoshoots.
So true. At Otakon I saw two of my friends who were being photographed by two guys, one had an DSLR and the other had a video-camera. I took a few pictures of my friends from a short distance, and the guy with the video camera moved to the side. I said "oh, sorry" and he replied "yeah, you should be.. We're doing a photoshoot here."

I was ready to quote Kamina and say "Who the fuck do you think I am?!" but just let it go and continue to take pics of my friends (who I've known longer and taken more pics of them) later on.

This is why I really don't trust or like people who use video-cameras to document cosplayers..
"This is your job. You want a clear conscience, go start a charity. But if you want your own photography business, and your cosplayer boss says you gotta go out there and take a photo-shoot, go out there, take it, come back to work, and say "DO YOU NEED ME TO DO IT AGAIN?!!"
Eurobeat King is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 10:45 PM   #84
tfcreate
Behind the lens since 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsoru View Post
In a way, I'm not sure there's really a difference...Though it certainly depends on if the cosplayer is even capable of performing the action- for example, if I was cosplaying as Chun Li, and I wanted a photo of a high-kick-- I've got pretty but flexibility, so there's no way I could pull off a real one ^^; But if the photographer could catch me in a ready to kick or similar pose to make it look like the action, I guess that would be the answer.

when it comes down to it, I would think that the entire point of an action shot is to make it look like the cosplayer is (convincingly) performing the action, whether they really are or not.
Well, actually, a pose won't give you motion blur, muscle flex, or the flow of clothing, especially if the character wears robes, sashes or capes. Also I find that the facial expression tends to mirror the action that the character is doing. With a pose, especially with those who are inexperienced at posing, would tend to have a dull or disinterested expression. So there are a great many benefits to actual motion. Hence, my question.
TFC

Rules for life: Rule #7
Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you are.
Anime Midwest Anime Chicago Chicago Comicon
Anime Iowa
tfcreate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 11:34 PM   #85
SirenaBlack
They're eating my people!

Well, imho it depends on the costume. If I'm not quite finished making it and some of it is held together with safety pins and glue I probably shouldn't be running and jumping and kicking in it. But if I can do the action and my clothes can withstand the action I think it looks better to actually do the action. Alternatively I'll pose like I'm about to do the action. Cause you're right, it's kind of impossible to fake action since the motion won't be there.
Going to ALA, Gallifrey One, and SPN Vegas Con
SirenaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2010, 01:13 AM   #86
otterling
Phear the whiskers....

New question (or two)! When I do photography of a cosplayer, or anyone for that matter, I tend to do more artistic shots rather than just hallway snapshots. At the end of a convention I will look over all the photos I've taken and then clean up and use the ones I like most by placing them on my site. When I do this, I put a watermark on them with my website address in the corner. This is just for my protection since I don't want my hard work to get stolen and shoved up anywhere on flicker without proper credit.

So, question 1: As a cosplayer, are you ok with receiving your photos with a watermark in the corner of the file so long as it's kept non-obtrusive and doesn't detract from the image? Bear in mind that I'm not charging for the photoshoot.

Question 2: I'm going to be getting cards made up to take with me since so many people kept asking where to find their photos from the convention. Should I wait to give a card until it is asked for or offer it up once I snap a few shots? I don't want to go tossing a card in someone's face if they really don't care a lick about seeing what I took.

Question 3: What is the best way you have found so far for a photographer to put you at ease when taking a photo? Examples would be great. I don't usually have TOO many issues with this because I'm a 5'4" female so most people don't really feel threatened but I know I can also come across fairly strong in my personality (military training) and want to make sure I'm not going to scare anyone.

Question 4: What is the worst behavior that you've seen in photographers that you'd like us to avoid?

And finally, Question 5: Is there anything you've maybe seen done by other photographers that you'd like to see more of? What helps make a photoshoot great for you? Anything you wish more photographers did?

Ok, so number 5 is a LOT of questions but I'm done now, I promise. I just want to make sure that when I go to the conventions I have coming up, I can try my hardest to make it a great experience for both myself AND the cosplayers I want to grab pics of.
otterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2010, 02:59 AM   #87
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfcreate View Post
Well, actually, a pose won't give you motion blur, muscle flex, or the flow of clothing, especially if the character wears robes, sashes or capes. Also I find that the facial expression tends to mirror the action that the character is doing. With a pose, especially with those who are inexperienced at posing, would tend to have a dull or disinterested expression. So there are a great many benefits to actual motion. Hence, my question.
TFC
I agree with tfcreate that static poses will lack the movement of loose clothing, as will hair and wigs that are long or medium. However, muscle flexing or tensing can be done with static poses, which will make it look more realistic as action.

If motion blur is disired, it can accure from making a slight movement when the picture is taken, using a slower shutter speed.

Hair can be brought into motion by simply turning your headm abnd maybe shoulders, quickly enough during the photo. Also, for long hair, you can throw the hair into motion with your hands and quickly strike pose with your hands before the shutter is clicked.

Facial expressions can be too relaxed in static poses, unless a conscious effort is made to apppropriatly tense the facial muscles.

Last edited by brucer007 : 08-11-2010 at 05:17 AM.
brucer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2010, 03:32 AM   #88
SirenaBlack
They're eating my people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterling View Post
So, question 1: As a cosplayer, are you ok with receiving your photos with a watermark in the corner of the file so long as it's kept non-obtrusive and doesn't detract from the image? Bear in mind that I'm not charging for the photoshoot.
It wouldn't bother me in the slightest. Some of my friends have shots with watermarks on them and I think it makes them look really professional and cool. It's more like being an official model to me I've seen a few that are huge and kind of distracting, but usually it's very classy, so I wouldn't mind.

Quote:
Question 2: I'm going to be getting cards made up to take with me since so many people kept asking where to find their photos from the convention. Should I wait to give a card until it is asked for or offer it up once I snap a few shots? I don't want to go tossing a card in someone's face if they really don't care a lick about seeing what I took.
You could ask "Would you like a card so you can find the pictures?" I am too shy to ask *blush*

I don't have enough experience with photographers to answer #3 & nothing comes to mind for #4

Quote:
And finally, Question 5: Is there anything you've maybe seen done by other photographers that you'd like to see more of? What helps make a photoshoot great for you? Anything you wish more photographers did?
I like it when photographers direct. Even little things like "Turn your head just a little." I want the pictures to look good XD Just help me out a little, I haven't had modelling lessons, you know? Counting down before you take the shot is also helpful so I know exactly how long to hold still, especially if I am standing on one foot or something. Maybe it's not always necessary, but at least if I'm standing on one foot XD
Going to ALA, Gallifrey One, and SPN Vegas Con
SirenaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2010, 03:54 AM   #89
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Quote:
Well... yes and no. I'd want a version with the watermark, and without. I'd post the watermarked version online, and print the non-watermarked one for my portfolio, etc. Or ya know, if the watermark had my name on it too (( ie. photographer name, then my name with it )) then i wouldn't mind it too much... i just really like having a plain version for myself and whatever personal reasons. Even if its never going online.

Quote:
I wouldn't think to ask for a card, due to so many people taking my pictures. Its best to just ask if they want a card or not, and give it to them if they do.

Quote:
Question 3: What is the best way you have found so far for a photographer to put you at ease when taking a photo? Examples would be great. I don't usually have TOO many issues with this because I'm a 5'4" female so most people don't really feel threatened but I know I can also come across fairly strong in my personality (military training) and want to make sure I'm not going to scare anyone.
Just act calm and professional. I was nervous at my first photoshoot, but the photographer was calm, polite, and professional... and occasionally joking around, so it really helped me feel less nervous. The fact that we ended up taking a bunch of joke shots really helped too, haha.

Quote:
Question 4: What is the worst behavior that you've seen in photographers that you'd like us to avoid?
Asking for pictures at inappropriate times. Like, for example (as i said in the cosplay pet peeves forum), i was crying on the phone to my mom, and someone asked me for my picture. My boyfriend had to argue with him to go away... all the while, i'm still crying on the phone. So really, if someone looks occupied... don't ask for a picture.

Quote:
Just... having fun with it. One photographer i had was so super uber professional, it really weirded me out. But i had a different guy who was joking around, yet still professional in the way that he helped me pose and such. He'd even set up the camera, look through, then run over to me and place me arms in a little more flattering ways... run back to the camera, check, etc, then take a picture. Then proceed to make jokes about it all, and we'd end up taking a few pictures to end the film roll of me in really stupid, out of character poses (haha). It was just so much fun that way. And i got some really great pictures out of it :3

~Cure deviantART Tumblr Fan Page~

Vote for me at the Otaku House costume contest!!
Axelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2010, 09:54 AM   #90
UniversalChaos
The Ed Elric of Cosplay

Quote:

I wouldn't care at all. A photographers got to protect his/her work, right?
Quote:
I think you should wait until someone asks for a card or just asks about your photography.
Quote:
Jokes, jokes, and more jokes. It's always a good way to crack the ice, especially when the jokes are funny XD
Quote:
Try to avoid frustration. If the photographer gets frustrated with the model, then the model gets frustrated, and nothing goes well. Patients, young padawan learner
Quote:
Make things fun. If everyones being too serious, even if it is a more serious photoshoot, nothings going to come out well. Keep their attentions.
...I have never actually been in a cosplay photoshoot, but my mother is a professional photographer, and she likes to use me for practicing >.>
Alice in Wonderland- Halloween
Tonks- HP DH part 1
Dumbledore- HP DH part 2
UniversalChaos is offline   Reply With Quote