Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 02-25-2010, 09:26 AM   #1
CapnJackSparrow
Pirate

Tailoring a Jacket Help?

Hey everyone! Okay, so I'm making a Joker costume (I know, lame) and I have this reat jacket for him, but it's just too short. I got pants that came with the jacket, same material, I was wondering if there's any way to lengthen the Jacket by sewing the pants fabric onto it? Is this feasible? Thanks for the help!
CapnJackSparrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-25-2010, 07:56 PM   #2
Kelley
Devil of Details

No, it's not really feasible.

Unless you're making the Joker with the tailcoat (where you might be able to squeak the full tails out of trousers with moderate piecing), just sewing on more fabric is going to look weird.

You CAN technically do it, but you'll have the seam where you joined them together - and there's really no way to hide that.

If you need the overcoat from "Dark Knight", and you have only a suit jacket, I would even doubt it's possible to get the fabric from the trousers, even if you pieced it together.

Edit : Also, suit fabric is most likely going to be too light-weight to work as overcoating unless you got a suit from before the 1940s or so - and if so, please don't cut it up for this !
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2010, 08:39 PM   #3
CapnJackSparrow
Pirate

Thanks alot I appreciate it, Kelley!! I was thinking about making it into atailcoat, just for fun, the main part of the costume is my vest and accessories, and makeup. The tailcoat is just an added piece. Would it look decent as a tailcoat?
Unread 02-25-2010, 09:47 PM   #4
Kelley
Devil of Details

It depends on your opinion of "decent".

I believe that the Joker has been shown in just a purple suit jacket - so I might just leave it as it is.

To make it a fairly decent tailcoat, you can't just add tails to the back - you would have to re-cut it, probably take the sides in a lot, possibly add chest-padding, and perhaps more.

The end product would probably look similar to a rental tailcoat, if done well. However, the lack of a good fit, in terms of a tailcoat, could easily produce discord - I mean, the Joker doesn't look to me like he rents his clothes - they look like part of him.

The Joker from The Animated Series has a very specific costume and in order to pull it off in real life, I would advise creating new and using a "dramatic" Fred Astaire type cut as a starting point since a modern sack jacket could probably not be well-modified to this effect.

It really depends on which look you're going for - and what level of quality you'll be happy with.
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2010, 10:03 PM   #5
CapnJackSparrow
Pirate

Thanks alot Kelley, that really helps I really appreciate it!!