Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Kuroshitsuji/Black Butler

Unread 02-25-2010, 03:02 PM   #1
Sebby
Shinigami in Training

Thrift Store Grell?

I'm going to my first con in May, and I want to do Grell Sutcliffe from Kuroshitsuji. The problem is, I'm on a tight budget. Most of the commisioners I've spoken with are out of my price range.
I was wondering, would it be wrong to find stuff for Grell from a thriftstore? Is it bad cosplaying? I can't sew, and I'm working on what money I have. I have the dress shirt and the pants, I'm hoping to find a vest and red coat and a thrist store and then make the glasses chain and ribbon tie.
Any help would be appreciated!

Unread 02-25-2010, 03:19 PM   #2
o01101011
Just call me Digit

You probably won't get very accurate, but if they doesn't matter to you then go for it!
o01101011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2010, 03:25 PM   #3
kiratsukai
culture shocked

If you can find the pieces you need ~ it's NEVER a bad idea to buy them used/at goodwill.

The trouble is finding what you need.

You might find great pieces to rework or remake though. Don't limit yourself to clothing of the exact cut and style you need... check out things like sheets and apolstery too. You never know when useable fabric will pop up in an unexpected place.

LAYERS Tutorial Translations: here, Blog: here
~ Cosplayer's Archive #67148 ~ Cure #224396 ~ My Marketplace Page ~
kiratsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2010, 04:20 PM   #4
Sakura Efreet
Meep...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiratsukai View Post
If you can find the pieces you need ~ it's NEVER a bad idea to buy them used/at goodwill.

The trouble is finding what you need.

You might find great pieces to rework or remake though. Don't limit yourself to clothing of the exact cut and style you need... check out things like sheets and apolstery too. You never know when useable fabric will pop up in an unexpected place.
Yes! So, so true!

I made/helped to make 3 different Goodwill/thrift store "found item" costumes. The costumes have received so many compliments. It's so much fun to make items from things like sheets, table clothes and such!

Also, for two of the costumes, they were amazingly accurate. You have to do some searching, but new stuff is brought into thrift stores all the time. Since you have a little while before your con, you should be fine.

Fabric glue is your friend! :3

Good luck. Let us know how your costume goes.

I live in Ohio and I try to catch every con in this state and the surrounding states (when money allows).
I have been cosplaying since the age of 9, and when I'm not cosplaying...
I'm a college student and an Irish dancer. ;]
Sakura Efreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2010, 04:41 PM   #5
Kyomi
SO ZETTA SLOW

Grell is definitely thriftstore-able. A friend of mine's done it and in the end, it cost her less than $20.
But we were really lucky to find a red full length jacket that looked very similar to what Grell wears, since no one really wears such clothing around here.

There's a high chance that what you find won't be exact (or you can't find it at all), but it's still good to check it out.
Kyomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2010, 05:38 PM   #6
Sebby
Shinigami in Training

Thanks Guys!
I'm planning to go thrifts store shopping this weekend for my Grell cosplay. I'm sure to find a long red coat here in North Coralina, I've seen all sorts of strange things in thrift stores. A vest should be easy!
I'm not going to be in any contests, just hanging out with friends. I'm just a prefectionist! I've got plenty of time untill Animazement, so I should be able to find what I'm looking for, and I can make alterations, even if I can't sew.
Unread 02-25-2010, 05:43 PM   #7
Sakura Efreet
Meep...!

Just so you know, some conventions do offer "found item" cosplay contests. If you end up really liking your costume, check the websites of the conventions you want to go to and see if they have one.

I have talked to several different cosplay judges, and found item costume contests tend to be less popular; finding items to make a costume sometimes take longer than actually sewing the costume yourself. But, when you can't sew like myself, it's so much more enjoyable.

I live in Ohio and I try to catch every con in this state and the surrounding states (when money allows).
Unread 02-25-2010, 06:28 PM   #8
o01101011
Just call me Digit

Just so you know, grells "vest" is actually a waistcoat, meaning it has no real back to it. Try hitting up ebay as well, even if you have to pay shipping you can sometimes find great deals and rarer things that you wouldn't find normally.
Unread 02-27-2010, 07:58 AM   #9
Sebby
Shinigami in Training

What should I do about the armbands? The small belt-like things worn on the sleeves.
I might be able to take a vest and modify it into a waistcoat I hope.
Found some cheap red wigs on ebay. If I find a red coat I'm hoping I can add the black bow on the back. What about the ribbon tie? Should I find something with that pattern or add the stripes myself?
I either going to make the chainsaw or buy this "Psycho Saw" thing online, I can't decide which. I want to make it so it will be cheap and accurate. But the psycho saw makes noise.
I'm sure I can find some heels like Grell wears and a shop, but should I paint them red or make spats? Also, I'm a guy, so is it hard to walk in heels like Grell wears, or should I wear some black dress shoes?
Sorry for all the questions, I just want to get this right!
Unread 02-27-2010, 12:22 PM   #10
o01101011
Just call me Digit

For the arm garters you can simply get some 5/8" or 1" black elastic and hand stitch the two raw ends together after fitting it to your arm.

For the tie I suggest making the stripe pattern. For mine I took some narrow red ribbon and a thicker white ribbon and simply glued the thin red to the white making 3 or 4 stripes. Make it pretied if you can, it will look better. This entails making a loop for the "bow", a strip for the dangling parts of the bow, another short strip to wrap around the center of the "bow" and the dangly bit as well as a 3rd strip that fits around your neck. You can fasten it with a snap.

For the shoes, yes, paint them. His are not spats.

Heels are a bit tricky to walk in at first, but if you practice in them before the con you should be more then fine.

Also, what sellers/wigs are you looking at? At that length you want to make sure you end up with a good quality. Also, invest in either silicone lubricant spray or sheen spray. That length of wig will tangle like a nightmare without it.

Last edited by o01101011 : 02-27-2010 at 03:25 PM.
Unread 02-27-2010, 02:40 PM   #11
Sakura Efreet
Meep...!

I may also be able to make a couple of suggestions if you give me a reference photo.

Also, what wig are you looking at? I have bought some fairly inexpensive sellers, and I can recommend them to you, if you like.

Unread 02-27-2010, 03:08 PM   #12
Sebby
Shinigami in Training

I heard painting shoes with red nail polish worked. I have to find some shoes first
I just come back from a thrift shop, they didn't have what I was looking for, but I have some ideas. I found a lot a great coats from anyone who wanted to cosplay Madame Red. I'm talking to commissioners about getting just the coat and waistcoat commissioned since I can make everything else.
@Sakura Efreet
Here's some reference pics
http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/a...ets/Grell1.jpg
http://media.photobucket.com/image/G...sutcliff02.jpg
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...g?t=1267304534

I've found some cheap wigs on ebay I was hoping to style.
http://cgi.ebay.com/PH046-Auburn-Red-Long-Straight-Cosplay-Party-Wig_W0QQitemZ170324257418QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_CSA _MWA_Wigs_Extensions?hash=item27a81dea8a

Anyone know where I can find skulls for the glasses chain?
Unread 10-13-2011, 09:20 PM   #13
Anime_Yuri_Love

omg all of this is helpfull^^

Thank you sebby for starting this and thanks to every one who responded

but i have a question. well 2. first what type of gloves would you use? like would you use plether or material gloves? and what would you do for the teeth??
Anime_Yuri_Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2011, 10:00 PM   #14
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

I did it, why can't you? The only thing I'm buying is the jacket. (And the wig but that's different)

The toughest part will be the shoes but I found them.
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2011, 04:17 PM   #15
Mademoiselle
Resident Gravity Tester

@Anime-Yuri-Love I bought some cheap black gloves from Spirit Halloween and they work like a charm. They look great and my hands don't start sweating.
As for the teeth I used this tutorial: http://b-enedikte.deviantart.com/jou...fies-223862568
They give you a little bit of a lisp and make sure you take your glue with you! I had to re-glue mine several times throughout the day, mostly because people kept making me laugh and my lips would catch the edge of them. >.>