Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games

Unread 07-06-2014, 10:03 PM   #1
Houshou
La'Petit de Mort

TES: Skyrim - Glass Armor

Hello all, I know, this is my first post and thread. But I promise I am really interested in making this armor set. But I am posting here because I can't seem to find some information that I am hoping some experienced costume designers would be willing to share.

Here is a Wiki Link for the armor set so you can view images of the armor itself.

I really like the way this armor looks, so I am quite enthusiastic about making it. I'm no dummy and know that my OCD will not allow anything short of near-perfection. So I will probably have to make things multiple times before I am comfortable with them.
But before I even sit down and start with something simple, like the gloves appear to be, I want to ensure I have a game plan for everything. The first thing I noticed that was going to be a fun, yet delicate issue, was the chain mail. It appears that there is an underlining chain mail shirt and pants! So, I have spent the last few days reading up on as much chain mail info as I can, as I have never created anything like that before and feel fairly confident in being able to make something simple, like bracelets and the like, out of chain mail.

Then I got looking at the weight.
Combat grade chain shirts can weigh upwards of 25-30 pounds! Some "costume" designed ones are still 15-20 pounds, but that is because of different metals used, thickness of the wire used, and how large the rings are. However, sometimes, that is frowned on, because the lighter ones may require more attention/care. Mind you... thats just the shirt! I have yet to find instructions on how to weave a pair of pants, though I did read somewhere that attaching it to a belt so the weight is on the hips is best.
That brings up the second issue... How to attach the chain mail to the padded armor. Obviously I'm not going to kill myself by becoming an actual armor smith and fashion real metal plates to the chain armor, even if it would be the epic-end-all costume. "No Mr. Medic, I was a 225 pound man when I put this armor on. Now I'm a 350 pound paper weight, because I got tackled and can't get up."

So it's foam armor. less weight, and loads easier to shape/mold. If I go with plastic rings, I will have to buy them, rather then spend 50-75 bucks to create my own metal rings. I figured galvanized steel would be best as you can get rolls of the stuff at a local Lowes for hella cheap. But creating my own rings will also take longer to finish the armor... this one is going to be preference and budget orientated... so I'm probably gonna be stuck making my own rings...

So now the crux of the matter. Do I attach the foam permanently to the chain undershirt or let the foam armor connect to itself, and just "lay over" the chain? Or do I find some way to lighten the weight and only create enough chain mail for the areas that are "exposed"? lastly, How would one attach the foam armor to the chain mail?

I know that when I really start getting into this, I'm probably going to want a DTD of myself, so I can get the suit to fit as near perfect as I can. Just hope I don't foresee any major weight loss or gain after creating the DTD... xP

One last question; when I reply to someone's post, do I just create a new post inside this thread, or do I edit this original post? I've been on forums where they prefer the posts to be edited, and others that didn't care.
Houshou is offline   Reply With Quote