Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-02-2013, 09:33 PM   #31
humanoidrkangel
Lunar Rose

i am wanting to work more on Gaige since i have a skirt i can use for her and i have the leggins and boots i can wear for her i just need help or advice on her robot arm.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mb...ztnvo1_400.jpg
humanoidrkangel is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-02-2013, 09:54 PM   #32
LadyCrankypants
Lady of House Crankypants

I think most Gaige cosplayers I've seen made plates out of heat shaped craft foam and attached them to a black sleeve (one here made hers out of craft foam and worbla, then velcroed the pieces on, looks awesome!). I suppose it could also be done with silver fabric, if you prefer not to work with craft foam, but it gives a more metal look with stiff pieces.

There are various tutorials around for working with craft foam, and I imagine the techniques used in making just about any craft foam armour would apply to making the pieces of her arm. I haven't done much craft foam work to date, but I've been researching it quite a bit for an upcoming Gears of War cosplay Good luck!

Works in Progress
Gaige - 75% done (on hold)
Gecko Moria - 90% done, props need to be finished

Completed Costumes - Moxxi|Dr Zed|Robin

The Crankypants Chronicles | Facebook Page | deviantArt
LadyCrankypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 09:58 PM   #33
humanoidrkangel
Lunar Rose

i was thinking about craft foam. that it seemed to be the best way. and try and find a good glove to work on it was well and use velcro to attach the arm to the shirt under the sleeve to keep it in place. and also work on the one vault hunter logo as well. that i was thinking of going to my craft store with my aunt to get her advice. i am trying to go some of my own stuff with this cosplay since i cant afford to have people working on it >< i cant sow sadly so my aunt might help me or my friend who can as well lol
Unread 06-02-2013, 10:09 PM   #34
LadyCrankypants

The vault hunter logo on her belt? You might be able to get away with craft foam for that too (worth a shot), but I would probably make it out of poly clay (like fimo or sculpley) and paint with acrylic paints.

If you have a chance, you should get your aunt or your friend to teach you some sewing skills! It's not easy, but even with a basic understanding you can start working on some simple modifications and construction for your cosplays

Works in Progress

Unread 06-02-2013, 10:23 PM   #35
humanoidrkangel
Lunar Rose

XD i know, i use to be able to sow a little from a home ec class in high school. i even made a hoodie but sadly i lost the skills i learned cause i ran into the art classes and also marching band became my life more. i know i need more. i can do simple things like repair holes but not much as making them lol i was think for her logo on the belt like maybe wood or something that might be already shaped. paint them and then glue them together. and i just noticed in my game that her class mods are lunch boxes >< i have some ones that i have had as a kid that i can just work on lol they would be the place i can put my money and phone it XD
Unread 06-03-2013, 12:59 AM   #36
LadyCrankypants

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanoidrkangel View Post
i was think for her logo on the belt like maybe wood or something that might be already shaped. paint them and then glue them together. and i just noticed in my game that her class mods are lunch boxes >< i have some ones that i have had as a kid that i can just work on lol they would be the place i can put my money and phone it XD
You'll have a hard time finding wood already in the shape of a cutout vault symbol, it's not exactly a standard design, and shaping wood without woodworking tools would be difficult.

Yeah, the lunch box class mods are super cute, and if you have one to work with, it will surely be pretty easy, and you can pick a design from an in-game model by using the options in the backpack menu There are some pretty funky looking ones, it should be a lot of fun!

Works in Progress

Unread 06-03-2013, 01:13 AM   #37
humanoidrkangel
Lunar Rose

i was thinking the legendary one with claptrap on it lol. but as for the vault symbol i was thinking of asking my aunt if she could work on the wood and make it look like it or something. i know i need to work with her on the props and such for this. i really want to get as much done before my con in august. and since i am going to use it for both cons i am wanting to go to what i dont get done for that one i will want to get done for the second one since the second one is much much bigger.
Unread 06-04-2013, 12:42 PM   #38
humanoidrkangel
Lunar Rose

also, advice on turning a toy gun into moxxi's rubi would be awesome since its not that big and i can carry it no problem XD

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__...9/RubiFire.jpg
Unread 06-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #39
Persiflage88

I am planning out / trying to plan a Axton cosplay, but I admit it is quite intimidating to look at, mostly because of the various props involved (shield, gun, class mod, etc). Never tried putting electronics into a costume before. It is however, made a bit easier by the fact that the color scheme is interchangeable.

His pants look like 5.11s
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Riggers Belt
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...TVPDKIKX 0DER

This nerf gun looks outlandish enough, hopefully its big enough (all the guns in that game are massively oversized)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

His outfit is "decorated" by lots of nylon webbing and buckles
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...M98PYZJH M5HC

He also has a handgun thigh holster
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...M98PYZJH M5HC

And a one-strap bag
http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Multi-Func...+messenger+bag

He also has a throat mic and generic-looking earpiece which should be relatively easy to obtain. The part that I am unsure about is the jacket. It looks like a stylized military high-collar jacket, just not sure how to make it. If anyone has any thoughts, that would be much appreciated.
Persiflage88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 07:46 PM   #40
PetiteAltesse

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCrankypants View Post
Uh - Ma - ZING! I'm certian you already know this but I must say that your fiancÚ is a certified costume crafting badass! You both look absolutely perfect - the attention to detail is astounding... I could gush for days about it! I can only imagine the MONTHS of work he put into these - kudos times twenty!
Haha, thank you so much. He doesn't think highly of his work, no matter how many times I tell him, or the amount of feedback he reads on DeviantART. I think his confidence has grown tremendously from this experience and he's eager to craft more. I'm honored to have been a part of the project. He made a dream costume come to life for me and I cannot thank him enough for it. <3

Speaking of Krieg, if I were a buff man I would totally do it. I adore his character. Especially after that bonus video.

@humanoidrkangel: For the belt buckle, I would recommend super sculpey. You can create the base, cook it, and then add the vault hunter logo on top with more sculpey, and cook it again. It's how we made my Amon (Legend of Korra) mask. It's pretty sturdy and takes paint really well. I've used it many times since J introduced me to it.

As for the gun, I don't know of any particular toy gun, but many Borderlands cosplayers go with NERF. My fiancee used two NERF guns for his Salvador and just gave them a paint job. He didn't alter their designs much at all. He did have to make a stencil for his Moxxi logo. He created the design by sketching it on paper and then cutting it out with an exacto knife.

@Persiflage88: Is there a military surplus store near you? They often carry different types of jackets, and gear, that could work perfectly for Axton.
Unread 06-04-2013, 10:19 PM   #41
humanoidrkangel
Lunar Rose

a small nerf gun sounds nice to do. i was thinking for her picture on it just printing it out and then putting it on the gun and painting around it to not make it that noticeable.
Unread 06-05-2013, 12:16 AM   #42
LadyCrankypants

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanoidrkangel View Post
also, advice on turning a toy gun into moxxi's rubi would be awesome since its not that big and i can carry it no problem XD

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__...9/RubiFire.jpg
I'm still planning on making Rubi for my Moxxi cosplay, I have a random toy gun I picked up which I'm going to be adding pieces and LED lighting to as necessary using craft foam, hot gule and air dry clay, and shaping as necessary after the fact with my dremel. If it works out, I'll let you know How far away is your con?

Also, there are unlimited different designs for Rubi - this is the one I'm going to be working off, but I have two more sitting in my bank if you wanna see them too

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...x/IMG_4683.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persiflage88 View Post
I am planning out / trying to plan a Axton cosplay, but I admit it is quite intimidating to look at, mostly because of the various props involved (shield, gun, class mod, etc). Never tried putting electronics into a costume before. It is however, made a bit easier by the fact that the color scheme is interchangeable.
Sounds like you have a good start! As for electronics, LED circuit wiring is actually pretty simple, and you can find the supplies pretty cheap on the interwebs (I got mine off ebay).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persiflage88 View Post
The part that I am unsure about is the jacket. It looks like a stylized military high-collar jacket, just not sure how to make it. If anyone has any thoughts, that would be much appreciated.
I would start from scratch using a jacket pattern with a mandarin collar... There are a few about like this one. Then block out the different colours, use bias tape for the borders between colours, and modify the front to stretch over to the zipper. The zipper is oversized, like the ones available here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetiteAltesse View Post
Haha, thank you so much. He doesn't think highly of his work, no matter how many times I tell him, or the amount of feedback he reads on DeviantART. I think his confidence has grown tremendously from this experience and he's eager to craft more. I'm honored to have been a part of the project. He made a dream costume come to life for me and I cannot thank him enough for it. <3

Speaking of Krieg, if I were a buff man I would totally do it. I adore his character. Especially after that bonus video.
I'm glad his confidence is growing, he really does deserve the praise Still my favourite Zer0 and Salvador so far! I hope my skills get to that point! And I know what you mean about Kreig... He has a solid design!

Actually, I love all the character designs, I was looking at my Gaige today and thinking, "I need to make that!" Buuuuut, I have other cosplays waiting that will be super time intensive... Maybe Borderlands 3 will be out by the time I have time to make another Borderlands cosplay

Works in Progress

Unread 06-05-2013, 01:49 AM   #43
humanoidrkangel
Lunar Rose

Thats the corrosive rubi it looks like. i was wanting either the one in the pic or the electric one due to the fact that gaige is very tuned to that element. my con is in august but i do have another one in January. so i want to get the major elements done first. such as the belt, arm, and well the tee and vest lol i am going with the necrosis head for her first since i have to get everything else done and more money for that. XD then afterward a black hair style of her normal head.

this one is not to bad but i wouldnt like the big guard on it. wouldnt be able to put this in a holster. XD

http://orcz.com/images/thumb/1/12/Mi...xisrubybl2.jpg

my only thing is i cant work with led this is my frist time doing any prop making. i wouldnt mind seeing how well your rubi turns out. ^.^ i might ask for a little help depending on how much it would cost since i have a short time to make a lot of props XD

Last edited by humanoidrkangel : 06-05-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Unread 06-05-2013, 09:43 PM   #44
LadyCrankypants

It's not THE corrosive Rubi, it's A corrosive Rubi Here are two other corrosive Rubis:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...x/IMG_5550.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...x/IMG_5551.jpg

Like all guns in the game, there are infinite possibilities for how they'll end up looking (with a few common elements like the three chamber revolver area and the barrel shape), and the only real difference between the Rubis of different elements is the colour of the LEDs. Pick whichever one is in a shape you think you can deal with, put blue LEDs in and you have an electric Rubi I'm just going with the first one I posted because it was the first one I found after deciding to make Rubi, and so I bought the toy gun whose shape matched it most closely.

For wiring LEDs, I just did a lot of research on wiring LED circuits, and ordered all the necessary parts of e-bay. I'll be sure to post a tutorial on my blog when I figure out what works

Works in Progress

Unread 06-05-2013, 10:31 PM   #45
humanoidrkangel
Lunar Rose

i ment the element that rubi has XD not like its the only one. but for me im not that talented with that kind of stuff i am only just starting to make my own props. sadly. this is my 5 cosplay, but this one i am trying to gp farther with.