Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Critique

Unread 03-05-2010, 12:45 AM   #1
omarukai
:3

Arcueid Shoot: Need C&C

Hello everyone!

This was my first cosplay photo shoot and I wold like some critique on some of the photos. I admit there were a few errors on my part and I wish to improve on them next time.

Character: Arcueid Brunestud (Tsukihime)

Full set can be viewed here.

Thanks in advance!

Visit my Flickr page for Cosplay photos: Click HERE
Visit my YouTube channel for Cosplay videos: Click HERE

****UPDATE Cosplay Highlights 2011- Click HERE

Last edited by omarukai : 03-05-2010 at 06:11 PM.
omarukai is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-05-2010, 04:25 PM   #2
SpookyElectric
Vanship Pilot

Arcueid from what? This is what I associate with the name Arcueid.
Several of the pictures look fairly stiff / unnaturally posed, but depending on the character, that might be appropriate.
SpookyElectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2010, 09:09 PM   #3
FiveRings

#1 - My attention is completely drawn to the opening in grid and she's completely lost. You can barely see her face.
#2 - Wig shielding light on the eyes makes them look dead...unless that's what you were going for.
#3 - It's a pet peeve of mine that photos are unnecessarily tilted. Her stance plus the tilt makes it look like she's sliding down a hill. The tilted gazebo also looks weird.
#4 - Nice clean shot of the back of the costume. Pretty standard looking.
#5 - Again, pretty standard shot. Perhaps having her off center to the left or right make it a little more interesting.
#6 - I would've liked to see her face more clearly. Again with the wig covering the face/eyes.

Overall, I'm not familiar with the character so I'm not sure how appropriate it those settings/poses are. You have some much more interesting shots from this shoot on your flickr though. I would've posted some of those instead.
Unread 03-10-2010, 03:11 PM   #4
zoeoviedo

4 and 5 are the best because the subject looks relaxed, where as the other photos are too contrived

Fashion and cosplay can cohenside with eachother <3
http://grandtheftthrift.blogspot.com
zoeoviedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2010, 06:27 PM   #5
Nichura

To me, the last 2 are the best. The others either have too much else going on in the frame or the angle/composition ruins it.
Nichura is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 04:16 PM   #6
oflight
life through a viewfinder

1 and 5 are your strongest images, thanks to clever composition. All the photos need some fill light, so they would benefit from fill flash or a reflector.

possibly a shallower DOF on the first image may benefit the subject, because as it stands the background overpowers the subject.

using a shallower DOF, keeping the subject distance from the background long, use of fill light and increasing the exposure, I believe would greatly improve your images.

image number 5 is the best IMO due to the unconventional framing i.e. symetry and the subject is framed within a frame.

Last edited by oflight : 03-29-2010 at 04:22 PM.
oflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 03:07 PM   #7
kizume

Each of the images you've got posted have merit to them. Some small tweaks could help make them much stronger.

img #1) Move your camera so that the subject is closer to the center of the grid circle. It'll use the lines in the background to bring your eye to her, instead of having to search for her in the bottom of the picture. Reduce the contrast of the lines in the background so that they're more of a grey, further placing the emphasis on your subject rather than setting. Also, get the wig out of her eyes, so the viewer has more connection to the subject.

img #2) try and make sure that you don't accidentally crop out parts of the garment, unless you do it very intentionally. Otherwise, it just looks like you were not careful enough when you were framing the shot. I'd also say to reduce your depth of field just a bit more, so your model is in crystal sharp focus and the background loses some detail and merely accentuates.

#3) as mentioned before, she looks like she's sliding. Remember that, cause then you can use it intentionally in the future! In this case, the pose needs to be a bit more dynamic, and/or the camera angle needs to be adjusted to really make it *pop*.

#4) Wig and Eyes. Your model almost looks like she's squinting because of it. eyes are alot of what make images really stand out, so pay lots of nerdy attention to the details with them. For this image, either center your model in the background structural frame, or make sure that it's intentional that she isn't (IE if you wanted to make it look like she was walking in from somewhere else, or was almost hiding behind the arch and you and the camera found her). Right now it just looks like that's where she happened to be standing when you hit the shutter. Same for img #5.

img #6) LOVE LOVE LOVE your depth of field on this one. Very yes! It would be a stronger composition to take off a little room over her head to show her hand.

With all of them, pay attention to your light source. If you don't have something to use for a fill light, then turn your model around to face the light a bit more. The color scheme you've got going on here is lovely. Blues in the dress and sky and a hint of green from the structure made it very easy on the eyes. To restate stuff, though, pay attention to all the little details, like flyaways in the wig, relationship of subject to background, lighting, etc. Don't be afraid to spend a long time setting up the *PERFECT* shot, because you generally can't ever go back in time to fix something you missed (I've had that feeling of "If only I had done X!"), but a good image will give you the greatest sense of satisfaction for the longest time
kizume is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 10:58 PM   #8
Vash_Fanatic
Sewious Bwuisness!

Most everything has been said...

My complaint is that the focal point (your model) is right in the middle in every shot! In great compositions, that is a no no.

Other than that, beautiful model and great job!

Costume Log
Secret Tunnel<--Avatar: The Last Airbender Nomads
Commissions! PM me!
Tutorials and Moar Here! :3 Facebook? Add me
Vash_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2010, 01:25 AM   #9
oflight
life through a viewfinder

I actually think the composition is perfectly fine in the first image. I think all it needs is a wider aperture and fill flash.

Compositionally it's quite an advanced level of framing utilizing negative space. There is a balance between the circle at the top and the subject anchoring the image at the bottom. It is quite clever as the subject looks as if she's caught in a web.

Technically it can be improved in terms of DOF and fill, but compositionally I think it is very well done.
oflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2010, 01:02 AM   #10
omarukai
:3

Thank you guys for the comments! I've been doing more shoots ever since I started with this one. I am not sure if everything has improved ever since I did this first set.

I've been playing around with angles as well (finally got a wide angle lens).

You know what, I'll post another set. One of the most recent ones I did.

Visit my Flickr page for Cosplay photos: Click HERE
Visit my YouTube channel for Cosplay videos: Click HERE

****UPDATE Cosplay Highlights 2011- Click HERE
omarukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2010, 08:25 AM   #11
怪物304
unknown

first shot - the structure is more distracting than the subject and the girl's arm looked awkward and her sleeve too big from the angle.

second shot - i don't quite like the angle up, it create shadows on her face and her eyes looked hooded.

third shot - her pose seems very unnatural. and I would prefer the focus to be slightly to the right to frame the structure properly. to me the right side of structure seems cut off prematurely.

fifth shot - I love this shot the best. It looks like she has a story to tell and she is waiting for somebody.
Unread 05-03-2010, 02:31 PM   #12
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

#1 I like the background composition just as it is with the circle near the top right corner. The cosplayer would get more deserved attention if the top of her head was above halfway line, close to the circle. The composition would balance out well if she was positioned left of the frame, looking right (perhaps looking up at the circle).

#2 The background would look more complimentary if it was even more out of focus. The camera height and distance exaggerated her bust size and shoulder width. Backing away and zooming in would help reduce these distortions. Looking down at a low camera can create more puffiness under the eyes. Looking above the camera would help, along with a silver or white reflector to bounce sunlight under and into her eyes.

#3 The camera tilt would work better if she had some concern on her face, making the tilt represent conflict. The pose is nice with the hand positions. Opening her mouth in a gasp and possibly turning her head to make her hair fly would add even more dramatics. Again, the face needs some fill light to rid the bags under her eyes and smoothen her cheeks.

#4 The direct, soft sunlight looks very nice on her face. The pose of looking over her shoulder and her facial expression work well together to tell a story. The doorway frames her nicely, slightly off center. The green bars behind her head are a bit busy and distracting. Raising the camera higher would have made her head be in front of the light, simple wall, letting the bars frame her head from above. The cyan part of her dress is too bright. It could be darkened in Photoshop.

#5 This symmetrical background/foreground would work better if the cosplayer’s pose was also symmetrical. Otherwise, I agree with the comments about placing her and the canopy well off-center.

#6 Again, I would suggest backing the camera away and zooming in, so the body-size is not slightly exaggerated in proportion with her head. The turned angle of her body with the shoulder up creates some nice curves. There are many interesting diagonal lines created by her arm, back, and hips. Just fill in her face with flattering lighting and you will have a very nice portrait!

...and there are my 2 cents! ;-)

Last edited by brucer007 : 05-03-2010 at 02:45 PM.
brucer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2010, 05:14 PM   #13
FMA_Forever504

These are really pretty.
The lighting is great and the poses are really cute!
I would suggest doing some pic with other characters.
FMA_Forever504 is offline   Reply With Quote