Go Back   Cosplay.com > International Forums > Japan

Unread 03-05-2010, 05:40 PM   #1
osiriz88

Im heading to Tokyo for hanami-season. Please enlighten me about cosplay! :)

Hello everyone!

I will soon travel to Japan to see the hanami season (cherry blossom) between 26th of March to 8th of April. ^^ It will be my first time in Tokyo, and I would be very happy to see some real cosplayers while I'm there! I am a huge fan of anime / manga & japanese music, but I rarely get to see any cosplayers where I live.

Can you please tell me where I should go to see some skilled cosplayers? I have heard that Harajuku and Akihabara is the place to go on sundays, but are there any more places that I should know about?

And what about Tokyo International Anime Fair? Any cosplayers there?

Please tell me all you know. All information will be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by osiriz88 : 03-05-2010 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Trying to fix my broken english :(
osiriz88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-05-2010, 05:53 PM   #2
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Cosplay isn't allowed at TAF.

Generally speaking, to see cosplay you'll need to attend a cosplay event.

Kanto events in April:
http://cosp.jp/event_list.aspx?y=201...2 010&rt=&rd=

It's a bit early, so a lot of this information will change.

If you have questions about particular events ~ we can help you out with information.

LAYERS Tutorial Translations: here, Blog: here
~ Cosplayer's Archive #67148 ~ Cure #224396 ~ My Marketplace Page ~
kiratsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2010, 05:56 PM   #3
osiriz88

aaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiratsukai View Post
Cosplay isn't allowed at TAF.

Generally speaking, to see cosplay you'll need to attend a cosplay event.

Kanto events in April:
http://cosp.jp/event_list.aspx?y=201...2 010&rt=&rd=

It's a bit early, so a lot of this information will change.

If you have questions about particular events ~ we can help you out with information.
Im sorry to hear that. But thanks for letting me know, and thanks for the link you gave me. I will keep an eye on it and hope for the best!

There are two events in Tokyo that has cought my attention, and both of them are well within my travel dates. http://cosp.jp/event_info.aspx?id=8696
and http://cosp.jp/event_info.aspx?id=9280&rt=1&rd=201003

What do you think?

There is also this one: http://cosp.jp/event_info.aspx?id=9101&rt=1&rd=201003
But unfortunatly, it occurs just a few days before I arive in Tokyo. Bad luck I guess.

Last edited by osiriz88 : 03-05-2010 at 06:45 PM.
Unread 03-06-2010, 12:19 AM   #4
kiratsukai
culture shocked

For your first event:

It's JCF event on the 3rd, 4th and 5th floor of a ferry terminal in Kanagawa from 11am to 6pm.

Cosplayers must pay a fee of 1500 yen (if you're a recipient of JCF's mail magazine, it's 1000 yen). Non-cosplayers must pay 2000 yen (1500 if you get the magazine)

Directions ~ From Tokyo Station: take the 八重洲口 exit and catch a bus in front of 「月島」 station. The bus will be bound for 『晴海埠頭』. Ride it all the way to the last stop and get off there.

(If you want to read the place names ~ plug them into your seach engine and see what pops up, or ask a Japanese person or local to help you our. Decoding readings for names isn't my strong suit ~ I don't want to give you bad information.)

All other details are to be announced closer to the event.

For your second event: http://www5c.biglobe.ne.jp/~yuusya/yomi.htm , this might be difficult for a Tokyo-newbie to get to. If you do end up attending, you may want to leave for the event a bit earlier than you normally would to make up some time in the event you get lost or miss a stop and have to backtrack. It's well outside of the main Tokyo metropolis requires a few train transfers (someon non-JR-trains) to reach. The main line serving the area seems to be the KEIO.

a map

KEIO line map

The station you want to end up at is ~ 京王よみうりラン KEIO Yomiuri Land. If you're staying within the city ~ your easiest transfer from JR is probably at Shinjuku station. You won't be able to use a rail or commuting pass on the KEIO line though and will need to exit the JR station area to reach the KEIO one. There should be plenty of signs in English, but the station is pretty big, so you might just want to ask someone to point the way.

The event runs from 10:00am~4:00pm
The event fee is 1500 reguardless of whether or not you cosplay.
All genres welcome, no military costumes.
You can bring props like beachballs, as long as you don't bug the people around you with them.
Please change into and out of your costume at the event.

LAYERS Tutorial Translations: here, Blog: here
~ Cosplayer's Archive #67148 ~ Cure #224396 ~ My Marketplace Page ~

Last edited by kiratsukai : 03-06-2010 at 12:43 AM.
kiratsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2010, 01:58 AM   #5
osiriz88

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiratsukai View Post
For your first event:

It's JCF event on the 3rd, 4th and 5th floor of a ferry terminal in Kanagawa from 11am to 6pm.

Cosplayers must pay a fee of 1500 yen (if you're a recipient of JCF's mail magazine, it's 1000 yen). Non-cosplayers must pay 2000 yen (1500 if you get the magazine)

Directions ~ From Tokyo Station: take the 八重洲口 exit and catch a bus in front of 「月島」 station. The bus will be bound for 『晴海埠頭』. Ride it all the way to the last stop and get off there.

(If you want to read the place names ~ plug them into your seach engine and see what pops up, or ask a Japanese person or local to help you our. Decoding readings for names isn't my strong suit ~ I don't want to give you bad information.)

All other details are to be announced closer to the event.

For your second event: http://www5c.biglobe.ne.jp/~yuusya/yomi.htm , this might be difficult for a Tokyo-newbie to get to. If you do end up attending, you may want to leave for the event a bit earlier than you normally would to make up some time in the event you get lost or miss a stop and have to backtrack. It's well outside of the main Tokyo metropolis requires a few train transfers (someon non-JR-trains) to reach. The main line serving the area seems to be the KEIO.

a map

KEIO line map

The station you want to end up at is ~ 京王よみうりラン KEIO Yomiuri Land. If you're staying within the city ~ your easiest transfer from JR is probably at Shinjuku station. You won't be able to use a rail or commuting pass on the KEIO line though and will need to exit the JR station area to reach the KEIO one. There should be plenty of signs in English, but the station is pretty big, so you might just want to ask someone to point the way.

The event runs from 10:00am~4:00pm
The event fee is 1500 reguardless of whether or not you cosplay.
All genres welcome, no military costumes.
You can bring props like beachballs, as long as you don't bug the people around you with them.
Please change into and out of your costume at the event.
Thank you for beeing so helpfull! This information is worth alot to me. I will write it all down and try to attend both of these events.

Once again - thank you, and have a nice day!
Unread 03-25-2010, 09:08 PM   #6
meevist
Satirical Hipster

Oh wow I think I'll have to check these out! I'm going to be in Japan for the first time from March 26th to April 4th, so about the same time. I'd love to see some cosplay while I'm there, thank you both so much!