Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-10-2010, 03:24 PM   #1
Franquita
Pokémon Master

Question Painting rubber for shoes?

Hello!

I have been trying to figure out the best way to make the shoes worn by Miku Hatsune of Vocaloid2. The shoes are black with turquoise blue trim on the bottom.

For the costume, I bought some black slip-on shoes (sort of Converse style) with a white rubber trim on the bottom. I tried painting the rubber with craft paint and spraying it with fixative, but after just a couple hours of wear the paint would chip off significantly.

I also tried gluing some ribbon onto the shoes with glue recommended for rubber, but again, after walking around the ribbon started coming off, in spite of the fact that the glue was really really sticky.

Has anyone had any success with painting rubber? Should I get a base coat or something that will stick to it? Or does anyone have any other suggestions I could try?

Here is a reference picture of Miku: http://www.wired.com/images/article/.../st_jsgw_f.jpg

Thanks!
Franquita is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-10-2010, 04:11 PM   #2
kiratsukai
culture shocked

I used plain acrylic paint for the soles of our Kagamine shoes. I mixed it with a textile agent to make it a bit more flexible and avoid chipping... It worked fine.

Someone has suggested that the textile agent may not even be necessary.

They've held up for about 5 wears now ~ some outdoor events.

LAYERS Tutorial Translations: here, Blog: here
~ Cosplayer's Archive #67148 ~ Cure #224396 ~ My Marketplace Page ~
kiratsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 12:54 PM   #3
Seena-Cha
Cosplay Guru of Love

I have had success for my lucy boots =D
I borrowed my grandmothers rain boots that she has had for years and not wearing them anymore and they fit me, so i took them. I bought some spray paint that works for outdoor appliances. I sprayed it acouple of coats on and it has stayed on. But it was sticky when it came dry becuase it was a spray paint with a glosse mix in it. So i used hair spray for a top coat so the paint doesnt smudge, stay sticky or peel off. And so far, nothing has happened to them so im happy about it.* i think you need spray paint that works on outside appliances and is good on rubber, i think thats what your trouble is*

So you could try that and see if that works.

For the ribbon, if your using ribbon for the bottom trim, i wouldn't go for that 8|
Try spray painting the trim, * thats what i did for my boots, even though it was a pain in the butt cause the white kept on going on top of the purple* But it turned out pretty good in the end =3 Or you can paint it with acrylic paint and see if that does anything, and then use hair spray as a top coat.

Hope this helps ^^=. If you need any other idvice on this, just PM me.

TBA
Seena-Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2010, 12:43 AM   #4
allizarnara
cosplay Lover.

Go to home depot (or what ever sort of store like that, that you have near you) the paint/spray paint department, look for an outdoor furniture spray paint, I don't quite recall what I used to paint some marching boots a while back... Ask the person at the paint counter just to be sure, but it should work, just be sure to mask the part you don't want to get paint on, very VERY well if you use spray paint.
allizarnara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2010, 04:21 AM   #5
lutea
~Ninja Photographer~*

erm let's see. if you can find a sharpie in that colour it could work. i did it once with the same type of shoe...but i think the rubber part got covered up in the end XD it may also take up alot of sharpie

Veni. Secui. Sui.
I came. I cut. I sewed.

lutea is offline   Reply With Quote