Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 03-12-2010, 04:10 PM   #1
SeizetsuKenSeie
Illustrator & Crafter

looking for alternatives to Spirit Gum

Hi everyone,

So a friend of mine has to adhere a beard to his face for an upcoming performance. Naturally the obvious choice would typically be to use spirit gum. However, this friend is on Accutane (isotretinoin), a very powerful anti-acne medication which makes the skin very very sensitive and prone to peeling. We are worried that the alcohol in the spirit gum and the spirit gum remover will be too potent for his vulnerable skin.

We are looking for an alternative that is easy to remove and will not cause any irritation. Water-based spirit gum is not a good option either because he will be sweating under the stage lights, and the perspiration may cause the beard to fall off.

I was wondering if gum arabic (used as a binder in cosmetics and watercolor paints) would be a possible solution. It is safe and non-toxic, and is completely water soluble without being SO vulnerable to water that a little sweat will dissolve it. But will it stick?? Can anyone think of another solution??

Thanks!

-Shauna

Unread 03-12-2010, 05:00 PM   #2
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

Having worked with gum arabic in a few different artistic capacities, my experience says that you're going to lose any load-bearing capacity gum arabic has in very short order after it's put on. I don't imagine there's any harm in trying it, though. Let us know your results if you do?
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 08:05 PM   #3
Arsenic-S
OM NOM NOM NOM. D<

I would suggest trying Pros-Aide or any of it's variants. It's supposedly a good alternative for sensitive skin (as it's actually a medical grade adhesive) and works under high-heat circumstances, like on stage.

_________

CONVENTIONS 2010
A-KON // June 4-6, Dallas || AFW6 // June 9-11, Wichita, KS || ANIME OVERLOAD // Aug 6-8, Austin || ANIMEFEST // Sept 3-6, Dallas || REALMS CON // Oct 1-3, Corpus Christi
Arsenic-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 11:27 PM   #4
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

Second Pros-Aide as well for sensitive skin, I never had an reaction to it with my naturally sensitive skin. And I would get mild dry out with spirit gum so I opted to use the better for me but a bit more expensive Pros-Aide.

Anime North '15
Souryuu / Sohryu - Yami no Matsuei (Fri)
Nehelenia ~ Sailor Moon (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote