Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Metrocon

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-16-2010, 03:00 PM   #1
LainaBug
Cupcake Pirate

Smile Costume, Cosplay, and Hall Contest Q&A :D

Hello everyone! :D I wanted to make this thread to share information and in case anyone has questions about any of the cosplay events at METROCON 2010!

First of all I want to announce that the Costume and Cosplay contests are separate again! And for the second year in a row we are excited to return as hosts to the Yume Cosplay Prize Regional Competition in partnership with New York Anime Festival and New York Comic Con!

Information, rules, and entry forms for both contests can be found here:

2010 METROCON Costume Contest
2010 METROCON Cosplay Contest

Information about the Hall Costume Contest can be found here. (some info is still being updated, winners will be announced on Sunday after the Costume Contest not Saturday)

In addition to Sunday prejudging time slots, METROCON has now added Saturday time slots to allow more time for judging! You can choose which day works best for you!

Prejudging times will be:
Saturday 10:00am - 2:00pm Panel Room 1-2
Sunday 10:00am - 2:00pm Panel Room 21

The Cosplay Booth will once again be upstairs near artists alley, hours of operation will be:
Friday: 10am – 6pm
Saturday: 10am – 5pm
Sunday: CLOSED

If you have any questions about the contest or the Yume Cosplay Prize please don't hesitate to ask! Feel free to PM me as well.

Upcoming Conventions:
- Otakon 2011
- Anime Weekend Atlanta 2011
- EXPcon 2011
LainaBug is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-16-2010, 05:34 PM   #2
Foos
Monster Hunter Addict!

I know I asked you this before, but can you enter the contest as a large group and designate just two people to be eligible for the yume prize?
Foos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2010, 05:48 PM   #3
LainaBug
Cupcake Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foos View Post
I know I asked you this before, but can you enter the contest as a large group and designate just two people to be eligible for the yume prize?
The official packet that NYAF gave us says that you must enter as a team of two to be eligible. But I can double check with them about that, because it's a really good question!

Upcoming Conventions:
- Otakon 2011
- EXPcon 2011
Unread 03-16-2010, 07:58 PM   #4
TheSurfingDonut
Cantabile

Aside from the requirements listed on the contest page, for the Yume prize, is there anything extra we have to do to compete?

[color="RoyalBlue"]

“Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sorta good at something.” - Jake

TheSurfingDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2010, 12:39 AM   #5
Vadia

So there is no points/award for following/ incorporating the theme into your costume? Wasn't that a category last year (or 2008, I remember the light and dark cosplayers)? Kinda kills any I had motivation to bother with the theme =(

Anyways thanks for putting up the link ^^
Vadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2010, 01:07 AM   #6
LainaBug
Cupcake Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSurfingDonut View Post
Aside from the requirements listed on the contest page, for the Yume prize, is there anything extra we have to do to compete?
Nope! That's all the requirements, as long as you meet them then you can just mark that you wish to compete for the Yume Cosplay Prize Regional on the contest sign up sheet. There's a check box just for it :D

Upcoming Conventions:
- Otakon 2011
- EXPcon 2011
Unread 03-17-2010, 01:13 AM   #7
LainaBug
Cupcake Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadia View Post
So there is no points/award for following/ incorporating the theme into your costume? Wasn't that a category last year (or 2008, I remember the light and dark cosplayers)? Kinda kills any I had motivation to bother with the theme =(

Anyways thanks for putting up the link ^^
Light vs Dark was the last year there was a Best Theme award in the actual Costume Contest. There were very few entries that would actually qualify for the award, if we had gotten more entries that went along with the theme each year I'm sure it would have been kept!

But there's always an award for Best Theme in the Hall Costume Contest! :)

Upcoming Conventions:
- Otakon 2011
- EXPcon 2011
Unread 03-17-2010, 11:50 AM   #8
ktdid2000
Made for the Sunshine

Are original design costumes allowed this year? I know some contests won't allow them due to the lack of reference material.

I do have a character on which my design is based, and am using those for reference when creating the costume.

Friday/Saturday: Misuzu Kamio, Yukata from Air Movie
ktdid2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2010, 11:58 AM   #9
LainaBug
Cupcake Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktdid2000 View Post
Are original design costumes allowed this year? I know some contests won't allow them due to the lack of reference material.

I do have a character on which my design is based, and am using those for reference when creating the costume.
Yup! You can enter an original costume in any of the costume/cosplay contests at METROCON There isn't a specific catagory for original costumes in the craftsmanship contest but there are no rules against original costumes entering. However, part of the judging criteria will be character likeness and accuracy so those aspects are a little bit lost with an original design. You'd just want to have a sketch of your design and your references if you did enter, as that would help!

Upcoming Conventions:
- Otakon 2011
- EXPcon 2011
Unread 03-18-2010, 08:24 PM   #10
Vadia

LainaBug,

Thanks. That information really helps me plan ahead =D
Vadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2010, 03:44 PM   #11
LainaBug
Cupcake Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foos View Post
The official answer from NYAF is yes!! :D

You can enter as a larger group but only two members can win the Yume Cosplay Prize Regional. You'd definitely want to designate which two people ahead of time, then just make a note of it on your entry form and also inform the judges during prejudging.

If the winning team is chosen from your group then it wont disqualify you from winning other awards and vice versa. So for example if the judges decide your group should win something like Best Craftsmanship then your designated team can still win the Yume Prize.

Upcoming Conventions:
- Otakon 2011
- EXPcon 2011
Unread 04-01-2010, 11:47 PM   #12
LadyHeartiliy

Man, what i give to have a partner! I so want to compete for the Yume prize but I have no partner...;-;...*cryes*

so unfair..
LadyHeartiliy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2010, 11:58 PM   #13
GiruSniper
Waaaaagh!

well i think i might try and enter my orc costume into the contest just for the heck of it. too bad no one else does warhammer or id enter the yume contest also.
Black Orc (Warhammer Online)(Epic%)
Heavy (Team Fortress 2)(100%)
space marine - warhammer 40k (75%)

Blade with whom I have lived, blade with whom I now die, serve right and justice one last time, seek one last heart of evil, still one last life of pain, cut well old friend, and then farewell. -PALADIN
GiruSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2010, 01:02 PM   #14
LainaBug
Cupcake Pirate

Online sign ups are now open for the 2010 METROCON Costume Contest!

Visit the contest info page here to download an entry form, then simply email your entry form to cosplay@animemetro.com with “2010 Metrocon Costume Contest Registration” as the subject. You will then be given an entry number, pre-judging time, and instructions for checking in at the convention.

Feel free to include a preferred judging time frame or day in your email :) And of course let me know if you have any questions!

Upcoming Conventions:
- Otakon 2011
- EXPcon 2011
Unread 06-06-2010, 02:35 PM   #15
TheSurfingDonut
Cantabile

I may be entering the costume contest with a dress based on a figure of my character. I'm trying to find official artwork of the dress but I can't. Will that hurt me in the judging?

[color="RoyalBlue"]

“Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sorta good at something.” - Jake

TheSurfingDonut is offline   Reply With Quote