Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Anime North

Unread 09-05-2003, 09:31 PM   #1
lainey
D2R Cosplay

Inuyasha at UofT, I saw u!!

I was at the UofT bookstore and saw someone cosplay as Inuyasha!

I was too busy line carrying my one thousand textbooks to stop and say hi...but omigosh what guts you have to do that!!!
2012 Cons: Coming to a con near you!
Anime North |Otakon

Last edited by lainey : 09-07-2003 at 09:44 PM.
lainey is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-11-2003, 10:32 PM   #2
archangeli
~ Ich bin da. ~

hmmm. i guess i should pop into the bookstore more often. i guess it helps being a music major - i avoid that bookstore like the plague

Lainey are you member of UTARPA?
Unread 09-12-2003, 01:01 AM   #3
xiola
turquoise teaparty

pff... when you're a real geek you get used to people looking at you funny all the time and thinking you're weird ANYWAY :p so it's not much of a stretch to just say fuck what other people think and be yourself after that.

my friends and i always like going to coffee in our costumes just for fun. coz hell, sometimes you just wnat to dress up and there's nowhere to go. :P
xiola is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2003, 06:45 AM   #4
Chosuke
Le Chevalier

Somehow I can imagine Merry and Cain at Tim Hortons.

Cho's Wig Commissions - Click here for information, examples and a free quote!
Chosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2003, 08:42 PM   #5
lainey
D2R Cosplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangeli
hmmm. i guess i should pop into the bookstore more often. i guess it helps being a music major - i avoid that bookstore like the plague

Lainey are you member of UTARPA?
no but should i join?
i wasn't sure if it was worth my money and time or not.

and it's in the building that i'm almost always in
(since it IS an engineering building) lol
Anime North |Otakon
Unread 09-13-2003, 01:51 PM   #6
xiola
turquoise teaparty

eek i could never drink coffee in merry... if i spilt anything on it i'd cry ;_; :P but Yoh, Nataku and CCD have been to coffee, and anything i've worn the past 3 years in the evening at CNA has been to coffee but that doesn't count as much because it's right next to the con... :P

oh, and after tonight my pirate hat will have been to dinner at least 3 times! ;P

UTARPA can be good... it just depends whether you care about the stuff they're playing during the particular term, really. get a flyer and see ^^;;
Unread 09-13-2003, 02:01 PM   #7
Lafiel
The Pasty Princess

I am trying to talk to the people running Utarpa to have a event where people can cosplay. While they are supportive and say you can dress us at any meeting, it would be fun to have a little event planned for cosplay to get all of us out of the woodwork to show our stuff ^^. Of course its just a thought.

I've been a utarpa a couple times, though usually I just sit outi n the hall way and chat.
Lafiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2003, 02:09 PM   #8
Mage
Kinsmen - Kael'thas

I always went to the one at UofT Mississauga b/c a) it was more convenient and b) it was free....lol. I don't think I've ever been to UTARPA, but the UTARPA people came to try and promote themselves at a club meeting between the independent schools, which really wasn't appreciated...lol. :P
Unread 09-13-2003, 02:21 PM   #9
xiola
turquoise teaparty

i dunno, i go to the anime club at U of W that's over 10 years old (not that i've been going for nearly that long, of course :P but it's become pretty big), so other anime clubs seem kind of strange to me... :P i live in toronto for school but i come from waterloo so i usually just go back for their 4 shows a term (they're 2-day shows, about 16 hours total each ^^;;)

anyway, we have a halloween costume cosplay contest at our club and i personally hate it... it's better not to have a competition at all when you don't have actual judges because it ends up just making me feel bad every time because no one ever knows who you are anyway and don't care about the workmanship, and basically since it's not judged by anyone impartial, anyone with the most fanservice or the costume from something they played last month or a cheap joke ends up winning stuff.

... then again, i actually kind of hate being in ANY masquerade, and if it wasn't for the workmanship judging i almost wouldn't bother...

anyway, i guess what i'm trying to say is just... unless you cosplay uber-trendy stuff or are ok with winning for fanservice and not workmanship, then casual cosplaying really isn't so bad.

but i'm getting so far off topic. and i'm bitter. i'll just shut up now.. *sighs*

Last edited by xiola : 09-13-2003 at 02:23 PM.
Unread 09-13-2003, 02:55 PM   #10
Lafiel
The Pasty Princess

Xiola: I totally agree with you, when I mentioned in my previous post about an event I just mean they can promote to cosplayer to show up and just take pictures and get pictures taken. I guess maybe I'm not as confident as you guys ^^, I don't want to show up to a meeting in full costume to be the only one there dressed up, I would love to see other peoples costumes as well.

As for anime clubs, I ran an one for a number of years in highschool and at a university, so its hard to me to be a member of any anime club because usually have nothing to offer. All the anime being shown at the clubs, I have, seen or have no interest in seeing (but probably still have it or could get it).

And I can understand about cosplaying as stuff that is obscure. When you try to break away from the common place stuff.. your so under appriciated.

The only reason for me to go to anime anime club is to see people I don't see any other times.
But sometimes people scare me O.o. Ieee..

Anyways just wanted to correct myself. I should just put all my effort towards a cosplay photoshoot :P
Unread 09-13-2003, 03:40 PM   #11
Kisa

I'm on the Exec at the Queen's Anime club, and except for Halloween, you can't get the wankers to cosplay at all!!
And now that Erica and Sunny are in Japan, it's just Me and Jon who'll cosplay.... We've even had designated 'cosplay nights' to try to encourage people... and like, except for one or two people who make an effort, no one else even tries. Of course, sometimes those efforts are really really disturbing...
Sad Panda.
Of course, I'm used to getting funny looks from them and do it whenever I feel like, since SOME people seem to appreciate the effort.

Not many tho.

Then again, I'm the only person in this freekin' town who plays dress up and goes to coffee. Usually by myself. >.<
Unread 09-13-2003, 10:14 PM   #12
lainey
D2R Cosplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafiel
I am trying to talk to the people running Utarpa to have a event where people can cosplay. While they are supportive and say you can dress us at any meeting, it would be fun to have a little event planned for cosplay to get all of us out of the woodwork to show our stuff ^^. Of course its just a thought.

I've been a utarpa a couple times, though usually I just sit outi n the hall way and chat.
that will be awesome for real...
if people cosplayed at UTARPA!
They should really try to have some more events than just regular showings...
and I MIGHT join...
Anime North |Otakon
Unread 09-13-2003, 11:31 PM   #13
Lafiel
The Pasty Princess

If you just hang out in the hall you don't have to pay
Mwhaha..
Maybe we should crash their meeting and show up all dressed up :P
tehehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lainey
that will be awesome for real...
if people cosplayed at UTARPA!
They should really try to have some more events than just regular showings...
and I MIGHT join...
Unread 09-15-2003, 09:58 PM   #14
archangeli
~ Ich bin da. ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafiel
If you just hang out in the hall you don't have to pay
Mwhaha..
Maybe we should crash their meeting and show up all dressed up :P
tehehe
i'm not one for the all-night anime scene. i was just asking cuz i know a few people that are members. meh
Unread 09-16-2003, 07:22 AM   #15
Chosuke
Le Chevalier

I ran the anime club at my highschool and it was hell.
I told them to screw off this semester because they were being so rude,and out of hand that I really dreaded holding the meetings any more.

That shows how much appreciation is given to those who workhard for others.

Kisa: If we ever end up doing that little anti-hobbystar photoshoot or whatever we shall all take a trip to the coffee shop and scare the hell out of people. I think alot of fake blood is in order >D

Cho's Wig Commissions - Click here for information, examples and a free quote!
Chosuke is offline   Reply With Quote