Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga

Unread 10-12-2002, 02:31 AM   #1
Ayaka
Ralph the Wonder Llama

costume for a "non-traditional" cosplayer

I was inspired by Nine's post in the other thread to ask this . . . all of the regs in the area anime club I'm attending have kinda gotten into cosplay (I'm the resident total nut, though ^^). So sometimes we talk about it at meetings, and one of the regs has expressed on several occassions that he's kinda frustrated. I think he wants to cosplay, but he keeps saying there's no one he can cosplay as. I admit to being stumped too. I don't think he's big into the idea of cosplaying totally against "type".

There's not really much of a delicate way to put this. He's about . . . 5'11", big frame, and he's African American. He wants to cosplay, but does say (and I fear it's true) that characters he could do are usually random people in the background. He has a lot of presence, so I think he'd be a great cosplayer. C'mon, somebody must be able to think of something. I seriously considered asking him to be my Sakura (for a skit idea), but I don't think he'd go for it, lol. He really likes the old school stuff, which I'm not very familiar with . . .

Unread 10-12-2002, 02:34 AM   #2
ChenCzen

he should do whatever he wants, regardless of 'type'.

but if hed be more comfortable with characters that look like him theres a few out there... perhaps DeeJay from streetfighter...
ChenCzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2002, 03:19 AM   #3
hichan
149 cm!

i'd say if he wants to cosplay, he should, regardless of type. if cosplay was about "type" then everyone should be Japanese, since most characters are.

if he is looking for a chacter... i forgot his name... but that bad-ass guy from Fist of the North Star.
hichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2002, 06:00 AM   #4
Cassandra
Ultimate Catwoman

ooh! DJ Professor K from Jet Set Radio!! (or Jet Grind Radio, depending on what country you live in)
http://membres.lycos.fr/jetgrind/screen07big.jpg
Cassandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2002, 09:04 AM   #5
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

He can cosplay anything he wants to. I do know a guy with a similar height and skin tone who makes a very impressive Shishio.

www.suspiciouscloset.com
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2002, 02:46 PM   #6
Ayaka
Ralph the Wonder Llama

lol he has the attitude to do that Jet Set Radio guy, but not the hair. I'm not sure if he's seen Fist of the North Star, I'll ask. I KNOW he loves fighting games, so I'll see if I can get him to brainstorm a few. He's talked about doing what's-his-name from Kenshin . . . you know, the big guy . . . GAH. *brain flops on the floor like a dead fish*

I'll talk to him again about cosplay and not having to look like the character . . . he's not buying it, not sure why. Maybe it's just that he sees how crazy WE are. ^^ And the one costume he did mention wanting to do was from Getter Robo (yep, one of the mechs). oO;;; He and the other slightly hesitant cosplayer are gonna be in the back making Getter Robo and the Black Escaflowne . . . lol. Except I'm probably going to get drafted into helping. =_= lol