Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > Steampunk

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-23-2010, 11:37 AM   #1
Alegrah
VictorianGraveRobber

Help finding corset for steampunk costume?

Sorry if I'm putting this in the wrong area! I would like help finding a generally cheaply priced corset as my budget is pretty low. I need one that's black/forest green with front lacing. Also, it needs to start below the bust and can have a triangle or curved bottom. I need it more for fashion than for actual "corseting". Also, it's for a Victorian era steampunk grave robber/whore. So, somewhat trashy, but also fancy, if that made sense. :P I'm thinking of making it myself, but for my first costume, I'd rather buy one if I can find one that works.

March 24 EDIT: Also, I forgot to mention that I'd like a front lacing one. I've noticed those are harder to find.

April 22 EDIT: I've decided to make one myself with some help from my mother's friend. I'm going to be using this pattern: http://www.simplicity.com/p-1802-costumes.aspx
If you have any ideas that might make the making it easier, I'd totally appreciate it. :]

Last edited by Alegrah : 04-22-2010 at 08:11 AM.
Alegrah is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-23-2010, 04:34 PM   #2
Shine-Chan
Happy Little Tv

Timeless trends is very good and has some lovely colors. http://www.timeless-trends.com/ check out their clearance page for some real good stuff. I have tried some of the plastic boned stuff but it falls apart and warps. If you have to buy it again after only a few uses it gets expensive. Now if you want to fake a corset I would say look for boned formal tops. I have found them to be much more sturdy than the faux corsets and sometimes you can find them at goodwill for cheep.
Shine-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2010, 06:28 PM   #3
alterationsbyem

I second timeless-trends.com I have an under bust one that I wear 2 times a week plus under all my cosplays here I have it under my dress http://www.alterationsbyemily.com/EVPHome.html they are very nice to own.

If you want to try your hand at sewing I would tell you to try to make one. If you invest in some good boning it would cost about 12$ in cheap materials. Simplicity 2052 ( http://www.simplicity.com/p-3060-misses-costumes.aspx ) has a easy corset with it and their directions can't be beat.

Now steampunk is a mishmash of early victorian 1870s to titanic era clothing 1912ish. If you want some inspiration just go here to the new york public libraries search page http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypld...&imgs=20&pNum= you will find lots of inspiration that doesn't exactly need a corset to be steampunk

Have lots of fun!
Unread 03-24-2010, 09:24 AM   #4
Alegrah
VictorianGraveRobber

Quote:
Originally Posted by alterationsbyem View Post
I second timeless-trends.com I have an under bust one that I wear 2 times a week plus under all my cosplays here I have it under my dress http://www.alterationsbyemily.com/EVPHome.html they are very nice to own.

If you want to try your hand at sewing I would tell you to try to make one. If you invest in some good boning it would cost about 12$ in cheap materials. Simplicity 2052 ( http://www.simplicity.com/p-3060-misses-costumes.aspx ) has a easy corset with it and their directions can't be beat.

Now steampunk is a mishmash of early victorian 1870s to titanic era clothing 1912ish. If you want some inspiration just go here to the new york public libraries search page http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypld...&imgs=20&pNum= you will find lots of inspiration that doesn't exactly need a corset to be steampunk

Have lots of fun!
I never thought of using a Simplicity pattern before! The thing is, my costume is already planned out, and I'm currently piecing together an idea for a second costume for my character. As it's my first go at cosplaying at a Con, I'm trying to make it somewhat simple with a few "hardcore" or more expensive items that I can reuse.
Also, Shine-Chan, I've seen corsets at Good Will before. I'm a constant shopper!
Unread 03-24-2010, 12:49 PM   #5
tereshkova2001

My friends and I all own several corsets from Etsy seller Damsel in this Dress. She doesn't have any underbust corsets listed now, but you could always commission one. They are comfortable, well made, front lacing, and the patterns and colors are really interesting.
tereshkova2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2010, 04:32 PM   #6
DarkBaroness
Self-Rescuing Princess

Wow, I love the looks from both of them! Since I'm not much of a seamstress (yet), I ended up getting mine from JupiterMoon3.com. She did an amazing job on my custom corset.
Unread 03-24-2010, 09:32 PM   #7
Shine-Chan
Happy Little Tv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alegrah View Post
Also, Shine-Chan, I've seen corsets at Good Will before. I'm a constant shopper!
In the spring and summer here a lot of girls donate old formals and prom dresses. It is easy to find one and snip the skirt off if you don't like it. I find that boned dress bodices work a lot better than cheep corsets.
Shine-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2010, 07:59 AM   #8
Alegrah
VictorianGraveRobber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shine-Chan View Post
In the spring and summer here a lot of girls donate old formals and prom dresses. It is easy to find one and snip the skirt off if you don't like it. I find that boned dress bodices work a lot better than cheep corsets.
That's a great idea! That's probably my best option right now. I'm pretty good with finishing the edges on things, so I could cut out the bodice and fix the edges, possibly put on some laces an embellishments. Thanks!
Unread 03-29-2010, 03:44 PM   #9
SeizetsuKenSeie
Illustrator & Crafter

Wow. I also really like that boned-dress bodice idea. I am also looking for a corset, preferably one under $70, which, isn't impossible to find. My real problem is my waist: I need a corset with a 20" waist. The smallest I can find is 22 1/2." TOO BIG for me. Much too big, in fact. Especially for a corset.

Does anyone know of any corset shops that sell XXS corsets?
Unread 03-30-2010, 12:15 AM   #10
Kelley
Devil of Details

^ Timeless-trends(.com) does, but I think they start at $99 unless they're on sale.

I really haven't seen a corset that's actually a quality corset for less than that.

You might make your own if you're really on a budget.
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 11:36 AM   #11
Alegrah
VictorianGraveRobber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeizetsuKenSeie View Post
Wow. I also really like that boned-dress bodice idea. I am also looking for a corset, preferably one under $70, which, isn't impossible to find. My real problem is my waist: I need a corset with a 20" waist. The smallest I can find is 22 1/2." TOO BIG for me. Much too big, in fact. Especially for a corset.

Yeah! My problem is that I have a really big ribcage and a high waist, and large hips. So I'm probably going to end up making my own, since I actually have some boning from a wedding dress that I'm tearing apart, as well as the satin.

Alegrah Eredschtadt ~ Original character (steampunk genre) ~ back story to come soon ~ 15% (For Ancient City Con 4)
Unread 03-30-2010, 03:33 PM   #12
Kelley
Devil of Details

Wedding dress boning might be okay for a costume corset - but unless the wedding dress had an incredibly high-quality corset (not too likely, and it if did, tearing that dress apart seems like a poor choice) it won't be strong enough to do much else.
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2010, 09:31 AM   #13
Alegrah
VictorianGraveRobber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelley View Post
Wedding dress boning might be okay for a costume corset - but unless the wedding dress had an incredibly high-quality corset (not too likely, and it if did, tearing that dress apart seems like a poor choice) it won't be strong enough to do much else.
That's true. I'm actually going to end up donating it to Good Will after some more inspection. A place my friend told me about is draculaclothing.com. They sell corsets from $65+, which I might buy one from there.

Alegrah Eredschtadt ~ Original character (steampunk genre) ~ back story to come soon ~ 15% (For Ancient City Con 4)
Unread 05-24-2010, 12:35 PM   #14
Alegrah
VictorianGraveRobber

Quote:

Try Ebay. I found a TON of small ones. It's hard for me, too. I need a roughly 32" waist, and those seem to be hard, too.

Also, I'm purchasing one off of Ebay today from a seller called rubberpaintedlady. She has extremely reasonable corsets. Mine is $22 and quite good quality. All of her corsets have steel boning as well.

Unread 05-24-2010, 01:09 PM   #15
electro650

Quote:

I could make you a custom made corset, I charge around 100-150 dollars depending on the style. It would be made with a shell of Coutil (fabric made especially for the stress of a corset) with a waist tape to keep the corset from stretching, 30+ spiral and spring steel bones (depending on the amount of support needed) and fashion fabric and lining (depending on your preference)... I have some of my corsets in my gallery, but i have many others.
electro650 is offline   Reply With Quote