Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Costume-Con

Unread 03-19-2010, 12:42 AM   #1
Kaijugal
☆FibreFantasyArtist

A thought, that stemmed out of comments in the video thread.

I have to agree with people who have expressed that it's not always easy to find full details of various events and functions at costume con, i.e. the tours for example.

Fortunately there seems to be a generally understood series of events at Costume Con from year to year which regulars know about even if the finer points vary from year to year, unfortunately those people coming for the first time don't know the details of this.

We as a community, and each successive concom, really need to be more diligent about getting information about all our events out there, especially for first timers who don't know what to expect.

I remember my first Costume Con, I pelted the Mai's and quite a few other people with oodles of questions, and already had some working knowledge of Costume Con.

I think those of us who attend every year sometimes forget what it's like to be outside the CC community looking in.

~Dawn

P.S. This is in no way intended to be negative criticism of Costume Con, which of course I love dearly and highly reccomend to all costumers. ^_^

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels, Contests, Classes and Events. Costumes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitons, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Big Fricken Trophies and so much more!
Get your membership today!
www.costumecon32.com

Last edited by Kaijugal : 03-19-2010 at 12:51 AM.
Kaijugal is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-19-2010, 05:14 AM   #2
trixyloupwolf
A LONELY kitty

totaly agree ^^::
last year we were soooooooooooo clueless haha^^
now we know a lil bit more but do we know all
nooooo that for sure hehe^^

i like the idee of more info ^^ ya that me ^^

were no one is...there i should hide and awaite.....
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...1_edited-2.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...600x120-v4.jpg
trixyloupwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2010, 09:17 AM   #3
von Drago
Well, you're wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijugal View Post

Fortunately there seems to be a generally understood series of events at Costume Con from year to year which regulars know about even if the finer points vary from year to year, unfortunately those people coming for the first time don't know the details of this.

We as a community, and each successive concom, really need to be more diligent about getting information about all our events out there, especially for first timers who don't know what to expect.

I remember my first Costume Con, I pelted the Mai's and quite a few other people with oodles of questions, and already had some working knowledge of Costume Con.

I think those of us who attend every year sometimes forget what it's like to be outside the CC community looking in.
Too true, Dawn.
Some CCs are better than others about getting the word out there.

Some assume everybody knows what's going on (not true), others assume you know nothing (generally also not true but safer) and everybody misses some points of communication which is why we need helpers on every forum & list . It can be super frustrating even for the regulars when information is not forthcoming - it's my biggest complaint.

Sure it takes a lot of online time (imagine what it was like before we had all these handy electronic communication types ), but if you're the con chair or on staff, you knew that when you signed on to take the job. I don't want to hear any whining about how we're all volunteers - sure you are but so have we all been.

That's why so many of us (me, Dawn, tons of others) are always willing to answer questions & try to promote events, etc. wherever we can.
von Drago is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2010, 12:37 PM   #4
caliph o'clowns
foolio

I've been doing more and more academic conferences lately, and they're certainly no different! Imagine what a hard time anarchists must have organizing their conventions If I were a little more diligent I would have tracked down contact info. I needed on the CC 28 website. But this way at least I got an excuse to harass you guys over here, and start to get to know a few of you!
Unread 03-19-2010, 01:34 PM   #5
RaDragon76
Outlaw Robin

This lack of detailed information about events and such can also be difficult for those of us who are aware of how CC works but who are unable to attend every year for various reasons. Things change with each concom so little minor details about things, for example the masquerades, might change. I'm not afraid to send off emails to someone on the concom to get answers but not everyone is like that, especially if they are unfamiliar with the people in the concom to start with. Detailed information on each individual CC site would be helpful to those people I think.
Unread 03-19-2010, 02:42 PM   #6
BoinkCoBoy
Kevin Roche, CC26 Chair

I remember we made a point of posting a "New to Costume-Con" section on the CC26 website...

Yup... It's still there!

http://www.cc26.info/news_item.php?article=CC-26%20101
Documented Costumer since 1968 (No! Really!)

One of the founders of the International Costumers Guild
Member of the ICG Fairness Guidelines Committee
Recipient, 2007 ICG Lifetime Achievement Award

My Journal: Adventures of an Urban Jungleboy
BoinkCoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2010, 03:26 PM   #7
Gravely

Cosplay.com, is by far the single biggest collection of people that make fannish costumes out there it seems. any costume-con, who doesn't have a person assigned to monitoring this site, is in my opinion, nuts.

for cc-25, Bruce was very active

for cc-26, Kevin was

For CC-27 it ended up being me, that's fine. but I made a point, of being on here, more and more, the closer it got.

I think Kevins 'new to costume-con' article, maybe should be a sticky here.

with cosplayers, there are ALWAYS tons of new people to educate.

and as a con chair in the past, well, it was really simple, I helped my attendance greatly, thru this website, and the new to CC cosplayers, are a huge reason, we had a successful con.

the coolest thing about CC, is that it travels around the country, and new people with new ideas, run it each year.
That is also it's greatest flaw.
because from year to year, a few things always fall through the cracks, and of course we have a brand new venue to deal with every year.

That said, it is sooo, worth the effort to attend and support this con.

Gravely
owner of Castle Blood the most interactive, costume friendly haunted house anywhere.
Co-Chair Costume-Con 27 ( 2009) Baltimore,Maryland
Cosplay Guest of Honor, Anime North, Toronto, May 2009,2010
founding president NJ/NY chapter ICG
2004 recipient ICG Lifetime Achievement Award
http://www.facebook.com/gravely.maccabre
Gravely is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2010, 05:21 PM   #8
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

I absolutely agree that more information on cosplay.com is not a bad thing in any way, shape, or form. In fact, I've started threads specifically asking about things for my F&SF entry that always mention Costume-Con because I'd love to have more cosplayers there.

I can't think of ANYWHERE to find more fannish costumers than here, and if you look under the "Other Costumes" section or just take a look at the homepage on any given day, you see a lot of original costumes, historical costumes, book costumes, etc. and not just anime stuff. This is probably THE place to get your information out about CC, so taking advantage of every chance you have on here to talk about it and explain it will go a long way to higher and younger attendance.
Kawa Kon: Into Darkness in 2014!
supergeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2010, 05:28 PM   #9
BoinkCoBoy
Kevin Roche, CC26 Chair

I can certainly format the intro to Costume-Con article as a post to put here at cosplay.com. I may not have an opportunity to do so for a little while (I have numerous deadlines at work and home this week).
Documented Costumer since 1968 (No! Really!)

One of the founders of the International Costumers Guild
Member of the ICG Fairness Guidelines Committee
Recipient, 2007 ICG Lifetime Achievement Award

My Journal: Adventures of an Urban Jungleboy
BoinkCoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2010, 10:47 PM   #10
Buddycat
Assistant ICG Archivist

Well, the original idea was for me to sort of be the shill for CC28 by announcing any new developments with the con. Unfortunately, for various reasons, info from the staff via the Yahoo group has been sporadic at best. So keeping y'all informed here on the forum has not been very successful. As previously noted by Gravely, while CC25 was going on, I tried to get any word out as quickly as I could when I had anything new to announce. I've only been able to give much detail this tme when I'm more directly involved with something.

Speaking of which, can I get a show of hands of who's going Bowling with the SLUTS? We need to have a miniimum of 30 people for the Oriental Lanes to open early for us.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ICGArchives

Also visit the International Costumers Gallery: http://www.costume.org/gallery2/main.php

Last edited by Buddycat : 03-19-2010 at 10:54 PM.
Buddycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2010, 11:33 PM   #11
Gravely

I'm going Bruce, as part of a team, but I am not the leader

Gravely
owner of Castle Blood the most interactive, costume friendly haunted house anywhere.
Co-Chair Costume-Con 27 ( 2009) Baltimore,Maryland
Cosplay Guest of Honor, Anime North, Toronto, May 2009,2010
founding president NJ/NY chapter ICG
2004 recipient ICG Lifetime Achievement Award
http://www.facebook.com/gravely.maccabre
Gravely is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2010, 12:47 AM   #12
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

Two from our household, Buddycat!
Kawa Kon: Into Darkness in 2014!
supergeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2010, 07:30 PM   #13
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Augh I have no idea who/how many from MACS want to bowl. At minimum two? My roommate is dragging me, under the assumption that us bowling in hakama will be hilarious.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2010, 08:31 PM   #14
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

I assume Dawn and I will be going, don't know who else of our posse. Sadly I doubt we'll have time to make cute bowling outfits.

The International Costuming Convention is returning to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Shopping, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2010, 10:01 PM   #15
khenemetset
Wild, simply wild...

Two here, I suppose, though we won't be bowling.
khenemetset is offline   Reply With Quote