Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Boston

Unread 09-07-2003, 05:07 PM   #1
Michela
Grapes are fun!

On banning J-rock in the AB Masquerade...

Does anybody else believe banning J-rock from the Anime Boston masquerade is completely unjust? As the convention staff is allowing games to be included, (which are as related to anime as J-rock) the issue is not understandable to me. For example, the character design and fashion of Squall from Final Fantasy VIII is quite obviously based on Gackt from Malice Mizer. Anime is also widely influenced by Jrock, especially the darker and more elegant series like Angel Sanctuary (many of the character designs from that series branch from the J-rocker Hyde.) J-rock is directly connected to anime, manga, and games, so I do believe banning it from the masquerade is quite unfair (because I have a feeling that something like Harry Potter will make its way in to the masquerade, regardless of whether or not it's connected to anime at all. ) Does anyone else agree, or am I the lone J-rock hermit of this board?
Michela: "I'm planning to place scorpions in my next costume, so that I can approach craftsmanship judges and say, 'not only did I hand make the entire dress, but I also added scorpions into the lining. I walk carefully when I wear it because I never know when they will strike. They are crawling around somewhere in the hems as we speak...'
And the judges will reply, 'SCORPIONS, YOU SAY? HAVE A TROPHY.'
Victory will be mine."
Ali: Scorpions are the new beading!
Michela is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-07-2003, 08:19 PM   #2
shiroi_yukiko
has helmet hair

I do agree, being a jrock cosplayer myself. This topic has been beat into the ground and it's not going to change anything this coming year unfortunately. Maybe in the future, things will look up though. ^^
Etsy Shop
shiroi_yukiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2003, 12:43 AM   #3
Kurthy133
Reveal the Goddess in You

that's terrible and i don't think it's fair :( i didnt look at the rules that closely! i think j-rock is all a part of cons! *big fan* squall is based on gackt, and that shows just how powerful j-rock is to the asian culture. i know that an anime convention is supposed to be about anime - but aren't we celebrating the asian culture in a way too?

*~Resident Goddess~*
Kurthy133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2003, 08:15 AM   #4
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

If you read the forums on the AB board, you'll see that the masquerade coordinator agrees with you. You'll also see that this decision isn't going to be changed for this year's con. There will be a separate j-rock masquerade. This topic has been beaten to death.

www.suspiciouscloset.com

Last edited by Koumori : 09-08-2003 at 08:18 AM.
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2003, 05:38 PM   #5
Michela
Grapes are fun!

Yes yes, I know the topic was huge at the Anime Boston forums, but that doesn't mean it still can't be discussed, especially in different areas. I brought the subject here because, though I *thought* there was to be a J-rock masquerade at Anime Boston 2004, after investigating, I basically realized that is not going to happen, (I was also informed of this from somebody who is working at Anime Boston 2004, though he can't do anything to improve the situation) and yet J-rock is still not permitted in the regular masquerade... (This will make me greatly upset if I see a western media icon enter into the event with permission...)
Kurthy133: It certainly *is* a celebration of Japanese culture, so I don't see why the AB staff doesn't embrace it as with anime, manga, and games.
Michela: "I'm planning to place scorpions in my next costume, so that I can approach craftsmanship judges and say, 'not only did I hand make the entire dress, but I also added scorpions into the lining. I walk carefully when I wear it because I never know when they will strike. They are crawling around somewhere in the hems as we speak...'
Victory will be mine."
Unread 09-09-2003, 03:25 PM   #6
AmetenshiK
-----

Mmm, I agree ^_^; My friend, known here as Kuroe, first brought this up on the anime boston forums a week or two after anime boston about the lack of j-rock cosplaying and lack of respect for j-rock cosplayers, and now there's even less of it. It's not like there were even many j-rock cosplayers in the masquerade, anyways, I think anime boston should just suck it up and let the four to five (If there ARE that many planning on entering) just be in the masquerade, it's not that big of a deal and people enjoy seeing it anyways, and yes, It is quite obvious Squall=Gackt...I mean, just LOOK at what Gackt is wearing in the video for Illuminati, if disturbing things don't disturbe you ^_^; I love that video <3
Unread 09-10-2003, 02:22 PM   #7
Michela
Grapes are fun!

AmetenshiK: *_* I'm so glad you agree! Even though I wasn't big a fan of J-rock until a week or so after the last Anime Boston, the J-rock performers were some of my favorite of the masquerade (the Gackt cosplayer's wings were fabulous and the Dir en Grey singer was AWESOME.)
You're absolutely right... it's not as if J-rockers were mobbing and taking time out of the other performances... they *should* just suck it up and let the few groups enter if they wish... isn't inclusion what anime conventions are about?
The Illuminati video rocks ^_^ (It took me a while to get used to it, but I now like it.) Methinks the costume for Squall was influenced by one of Gackt's stage outfits (the only real difference is Gackt's pants were shinier and he didn't wear a shirt underneath his half-coat :::drools::: ) Their hair is disturbingly similar as well. If there's so much J-rock influence on anime and games, why would anyone in their right minds ban it from a major event?
Victory will be mine."
Unread 09-10-2003, 04:57 PM   #8
AmetenshiK
-----

Hehe ^_^; Everyone should agree with me, I'm the all knowing Ametenshi >D Hee, not really >/ Oh well. Anyways, yep, the Gackt and Mana cosplayers WERE awesome, and the DEG Kyo singer was really great, she was actually my friend Kuroe I mentioned before >> ; Anyways, yep, they should suck it up >> Meanies.
Unread 09-13-2003, 08:30 PM   #9
Michela
Grapes are fun!

<b>Hehe ^_^; Everyone should agree with me, I'm the all knowing Ametenshi</b>

Of course! XD

<b>Anyways, yep, they should suck it up >> Meanies.</b>

I didn't even think the organizers could become meaner than they were last year, (they FORGOT to play my MUSIC >.<) but I was wrong o.O I'm even *more* upset now that I've discovered skits must remain under two minutes! Though I understand a large volume of people enter the competition, that is INSANE. Even my Shoujocon skit, which was very brief, was not under two minutes long... Quite honestly, the best masquerade routines I've ever seen have ranged from at least two-and-a-half to four minutes, so it completely escapes me how any memorable skits can come from a two minute limit. (I don't know if I'm even going to be in the masquerade now, simply because my ideas aren't in the Anime Boston rule structure... I actually plan to be in the masquerade practically every time I go to a con, too, so when I even *consider* not going, there is a problem.)
I really hope I can contact the director about this, but I have the feeling (learning from experience from last year's AB masquerade) that person won't even give me the time of day...
Victory will be mine."
Unread 09-13-2003, 08:54 PM   #10
hikura
Flyboy

I am not discouraging you from going as a j-rock or pop cosplayer.Be in fact i encourage it.What i am saying that the animeboston is not a small con by anymeans.It is not shoujocon style convention.If you let every entrance do a 5 minute skit it adds up to(weather they do it or not).Your talking about let us say 60 maxium entrance and lets say they do an average of a 3 minute skit..that is a three hour show.That is why they are trying to limit it.Shoujocon and similiar smaller cons can let the contestants with up to a 5 minute skit.
I personally believe they should allow such people as the j-pop crowd in.

Last edited by hikura : 09-13-2003 at 09:27 PM.
hikura is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2003, 08:56 PM   #11
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

I respectfully disagree - I think with a few rare exceptions, a skit can say all it needs to say in less than two minutes. As an audience member, nothing turns me off faster than watching a skit drag on for twice as long as it needed to to make its point.

www.suspiciouscloset.com
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2003, 02:58 PM   #12
Michela
Grapes are fun!

:::Nod::: That's very understandable. I was just upset because I was prepared for the same three minute limit as last year and let myself get a bit carried away ^_^
Victory will be mine."
Unread 09-21-2003, 06:52 PM   #13
AmetenshiK
-----

Hm...I don't know if I'm doing a skit now since they banned J-Rock, and I dont really have one to do by myself, I'm not letting my friend Kelley come with me this year, she actually expects me to do the following (and she says she REALLY wants to go...)..Pay for her pre-reg, let her stay in my hotel room without splitting the cost with her, buy all of the materials and sew all of her costumes....UGH! She is SO not coming...The only reason she went for free last year is because my other friend's mom does not like me. >X And I called her the night before to go and she just used my kimono...anyways, off topic. We were supposed to do a little skit, but we're not anymore since she isnt going. >/ Oh well.

Anyways, Michela, I liked your skit last year at AB >D It was great. You guys seemed so confused on the stage ^_^ I loved it! >D I have a nice picture of ya somewhere in my pile of them >/ I shall one day scan and upload all of my anime boston pictures to cosplay.com. ^^;
Unread 09-22-2003, 05:20 PM   #14
Michela
Grapes are fun!

...Pay for her pre-reg, let her stay in my hotel room without splitting the cost with her, buy all of the materials and sew all of her costumes....UGH! She is SO not coming

Eww... buying supplies is SO expensive, ESPECIALLY with the cost of hotels and registration! She really should learn to fund herself... even I do, and I can't find a job, wherever I apply (I'm living on allowance.. I'm a welfare cosplayer. ;_; Even then, I do save practically every cent on my costumes, so I may make them well and with the respect they deserve.)

We were supposed to do a little skit, but we're not anymore since she isnt going. >/ Oh well.

My friend Mike (you may recognize him as Setsuna) and I (as well as his BAAF group) were planning an elaborate, coreographed Malice Mizer production, but now we can't do it because J-rock was banned... I was so sad to hear that, as we had already made plans...

Anyways, Michela, I liked your skit last year at AB >D It was great. You guys seemed so confused on the stage ^_^

Yeah... we looked confused because they forgot our MUSIC. We were wondering whether to go on or scream at the con chair while on stage (in the end, we decided to keep our composure... for the most part, until the audience laughed at us... yeah... that was NOT fun.)
Victory will be mine."
Unread 09-23-2003, 07:23 PM   #15
Claire

I don't know the official word on WHY it was banned, but it may be something similar to why it's not allowed at Anime Expo: the sponsors do not want their prizes to be able to go to people who aren't cosplaying something they can market, and they don't want potential marketable winners to not preform because their space was taken up by jrock cosplayers.

If that's the case, then you'll just have to deal with it. *shrug* Larger cons tend to be very corporate. I think the only big con that still allows jrock in the main masquerade is Otakon, right? Or did they stop allowing it? Maybe someday, jrock will be popular and mainstream enough to warrant involvement in big masquerades. Until then, we'll have to be satisfied with hall cosplay. OR you could start attending cons that have seperate events (like Anime Expo and A-kon), or smaller cons that don't mind jrock entrants (Fanime and Ani-magic).
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote