Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Anime Chat

Unread 11-19-2010, 09:09 PM   #31
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shokora View Post
*sees this thread for the first time* I totally agree with Axelai. But as a former I-don't-like-Hetalia-person (for the very reasons being brought up in this thread) who has now become a I-cosplay-Germany-but-know-where-to-draw-the-line....I think those of us who do cosplay Hetalia and do NOT fit into the clueless, silly, ignornorant, common-sense-lacking category are now going to have to work extra-hard to prove to everyone that not ALL Hetalia cosplayers are like this. Where to start? With photoshoots and panels. Those of us who ARE mature need to be the ones running these shoots and panels; this will prevent things like what happened at Anime Boston and also prove to the rest of the cosplay community that we DO know our history-not all of us are ignorant of it!!!! I would love to do a panel called "History for the Hetalia Fan....or anyone else!" (I'm NOT young...I've done a LOT of public speaking and teaching due to my job). Of course, I'd have to choose a historical event and stick to that, as there's a time limit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by liivingdeadgirl View Post
I agree that the blame for things like these should be placed on the individual and not the fandom, however the fandom has become increasingly...well...psychotic. My friends and I make a point NOT to go to Hetalia shoots because of all the idiocy that takes place. And I would blame the age of those who usually GO to the shoots, except that many of my friends are 16-17 and THEY don't even want to go because they don't want to be mobbed or have to put up with all the morons that are there. When it turns into everyone going 'you guys kiss' 'no you guys kiss' 'pretend you're getting married'....I mean, it gets old. I still love Hetalia but I think the fandom needs to chill out a little bit, because they make it not fun for those of us who know what public decency is. -_-
Well, we do have to consider... the show IS rated MATURE. The fact that people under 18 are even watching it is a HUGE part of the problem. They just aren't mature enough to handle it. Seriously, we should box all those fans up and ship them to a halocaust museum... and all the cool people can hang with me and my friends, sit at a sleepover, and eat pasta.

And please please, its not the "fandom" doing this. Its the "vocal minority of immature fans". Huge difference. The Hetalia fandom is a wide variety of people, from immature to mature, from young to old. The vocal minority of immature fans are the ones ticking you off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaze Saffire View Post
(cut)
Germany never does any Nazi salutes as far as i know (i'm on episode 22 of World Series), he only briefly mentions Nazi stuff in jest in the hetalia dub (such as "Please raise your hand, but do so in a way that does not mock any salutes of my country's past!" or when Romano says he has a present for him, he says "What is it? Another Jew?" ). I think its just the fact that immature kids are taking it too far... the show IS rated mature. So mature people should watch it.... not these immature kids...

And i personally have never been to a Hetalia photoshoot yet. I am going to a cosplay gathering on Sunday that will have a majority of Hetalia cosplayers... and i really hope that goes well. But like i said. Hate the fan, not the fandom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliskin View Post
I didn't think it was a big deal.

Some people seem to be just LOOKING for things to get upset about.
They are. But doesn't the entire world do that? I got called racist the other day, because someone asked "Which Jordan?" when i mentioned my friend, and i said "The black kid with the red headphones." They gasped at me and called me racist. Umm... i'm racist for pointing out he's black? If i said just the headphones, theres a big chance they wouldn't have known who i was talking about. Both together, they would know exactly who i meant. So the fact that i said that was as a description. Its the fact people get offended so easily at these things thats the problem... /rant

~Cure deviantART Tumblr Fan Page~

Vote for me at the Otaku House costume contest!!
Axelai is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-19-2010, 10:25 PM   #32
Codename Otacon
BONK!

The only time I saw a Nazi sign in Hetalia is in the manga:

http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/q...g?t=1290226859

Notice the flag, they change it in the next page:

http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/q...g?t=1290226926

I scaned it off the first volume of the Hetalia manga.

*Conventions for 2014*
Otakon Vegas
Anime Expo
Anime California

*Cosplay list for 2014*
Red Medic(Fem!)-Team Fortress 2
Red Medic(Fem! The Uncivil Servant)-Team Fortress 2
Codename Otacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2010, 11:32 AM   #33
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibi Baka Zaru View Post
The only time I saw a Nazi sign in Hetalia is in the manga:

http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/q...g?t=1290226859

Notice the flag, they change it in the next page:

http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/q...g?t=1290226926

I scaned it off the first volume of the Hetalia manga.
In which i say "Whoo, big deal." Considering its WW2, i wouldn't expect any different.

And didn't Himaruya even mention how Germany hates his boss (ie. Hitler)? So the character of Germany probably isn't into all the Nazi stuff anyways...

Unread 11-20-2010, 03:11 PM   #34
Kaze Saffire
...Rose.

I definetly didn't see the Nazi sign at all until that scan/me going back to check out that page. So what are the chances of anybody else noticing it? Unless yes, they are absolutely looking for a reason to tear down the series.

I did however catch the Jew comment and I found it quite funny. It was obviously aimed at the dispute between the Jews and Germans, however it wasn't shot out to be offensive at all. They don't really cross the lines anywhere with any country ( and what the chances of finding a majority of these countrie's natives anywhere that they air the anime anyway? I don't think I've met legit Hungarians or Austrians to this day )

Katsucon 20:

Thursday: Hamtaro
Friday - Default Alibaba Salujah
Fog Troupe Alibaba Salujah

Facebook meh XD http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...00003760496949
Kaze Saffire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2010, 08:06 PM   #35
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Quote:
I definetly didn't see the Nazi sign at all until that scan/me going back to check out that page. So what are the chances of anybody else noticing it? Unless yes, they are absolutely looking for a reason to tear down the series.

I did however catch the Jew comment and I found it quite funny. It was obviously aimed at the dispute between the Jews and Germans, however it wasn't shot out to be offensive at all. They don't really cross the lines anywhere with any country ( and what the chances of finding a majority of these countrie's natives anywhere that they air the anime anyway? I don't think I've met legit Hungarians or Austrians to this day )
I didn't notice the nazi sign either until she pointed it out XD;; You know what i find funny? The page with the nazi flags... he's teaching Italy how to salute over his forehead. Not Nazi salute.

And they really don't cross too many lines... The dub people were trying desperately hard to see how far they could push it. And really, i'm trying super hard right now to think of parts that were blatantly offensive... and its hard XD;; Maybe when Italy said "He's big and pretty and whiter than anybody! And thats got to count for something, at least for keeping liquor stores out of your neighborhood! Also, Germans talk real funny! And laughing is good for the heart!" Thats not even that bad XD;; or calling Germany a "damn potato eater"... isn't really even racist. The only offensive thing is the fact they all have terrible accents, and thats in the dub only... XD;;

Unread 11-20-2010, 11:28 PM   #36
Kaze Saffire
...Rose.

"Suck my balls you damn potato eater!" That wasn't offensive. It was just HILARIOUS lol. That was one of the lines that had me rolling the first time I watched the dvd after I watched it ( that and when the Allies sent Italy back in a box that said F*** on it ) Yeah Italy was saluting with his left hand and that's what Germany was really trying to correct. I would honestly like to see somebody from one of the countries try to start a protest ( other than Korea naturally ) I can imagine Ukraine protesting that their women's breasts are not that huge lol. The accents are what make the anime though. At least in the english dub. The accents all sound the same in japanese ( at least in my opinion ) I think countries probably laugh more than they find fault in the accents if they actually watch Hetalia. France's laugh when he's talking about his cloak in season 1 is ESPECIALLY funny ( if I ever actually meet Tatum/attend one of his Q&a's, I would so ask him to do that laugh )

Italy has literally pushed ALL of Germany's stereotypes possible and not one protestor has come forth so I think the anime is safe, at least on their part XD

Katsucon 20:

Unread 11-21-2010, 11:00 AM   #37
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Quote:
"Suck my balls you damn potato eater!" That wasn't offensive. It was just HILARIOUS lol. That was one of the lines that had me rolling the first time I watched the dvd after I watched it ( that and when the Allies sent Italy back in a box that said F*** on it ) Yeah Italy was saluting with his left hand and that's what Germany was really trying to correct. I would honestly like to see somebody from one of the countries try to start a protest ( other than Korea naturally ) I can imagine Ukraine protesting that their women's breasts are not that huge lol. The accents are what make the anime though. At least in the english dub. The accents all sound the same in japanese ( at least in my opinion ) I think countries probably laugh more than they find fault in the accents if they actually watch Hetalia. France's laugh when he's talking about his cloak in season 1 is ESPECIALLY funny ( if I ever actually meet Tatum/attend one of his Q&a's, I would so ask him to do that laugh )

Italy has literally pushed ALL of Germany's stereotypes possible and not one protestor has come forth so I think the anime is safe, at least on their part XD
Yeah, i laughed really hard at the potato eater part XD;; In fact, i laugh really hard whenever Romano is on the screen. He brings laughter wherever he goes.

I think the japanese wasn't going for the whole accent thing. They were more of trying to change the pitch depending on country. Like America having a high, obnoxious voice, compared to Britain with a quieter, calmer voice... except when he's drunk. Ahaha.

Yeah, i really don't think the show is as offensive as people think it is. It just shoves stereotypes and questionably accurate world history down the viewer's throats. And i like it that way.

Unread 11-21-2010, 11:31 AM   #38
Codename Otacon
BONK!

[quote=Kaze Saffire;3702464]I definetly didn't see the Nazi sign at all until that scan/me going back to check out that page.QUOTE]

[quote=Axelai;3702667]I didn't notice the nazi sign either until she pointed it out XD;;QUOTE]

Its a really bad habit of mine that I notice things. DX And no I'm not making a big deal about it.

*Conventions for 2014*
Otakon Vegas
Anime Expo
Anime California

*Cosplay list for 2014*
Unread 12-03-2010, 04:44 AM   #39
Shana05
The Nation of Love

Quote:
I will avoid the photoshoots as all I hear is about how hectic they are.
Then I will share my experience. I've been to two Hetalia photoshoots one as just a photographer as I didn't have a Hetalia cosplay yet and later as a participent. Other than the large number of people there, causing the whole group shots to be difficult, there were no issues. No one was forced into anything they didn't want to do. There were a few kisses but those in them consented to it. Most of the pairing shots did nothing more than hug.

Anime Central: Maid Cafe!Aiichiro Nitori (Free!) - Flapper fem!America (Hetalia) - Lara Croft (Tomb Raider 2013) - Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2010, 03:20 PM   #40
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana05 View Post
Then I will share my experience. I've been to two Hetalia photoshoots one as just a photographer as I didn't have a Hetalia cosplay yet and later as a participent. Other than the large number of people there, causing the whole group shots to be difficult, there were no issues. No one was forced into anything they didn't want to do. There were a few kisses but those in them consented to it. Most of the pairing shots did nothing more than hug.
I'm going to a Hetalia gathering (non convention) tomorrow, so i'll update here with how that goes. First experience for me.

Unread 12-03-2010, 04:53 PM   #41
Axelai
I'm Awesome

PS: I finally found the picture online that started this whole thread.

http://pics.livejournal.com/charge_0/pic/0000b2g7

Where... i really expected it to be worse. Its not even that bad >_>;; I mean, its hella stupid and they shouldn't have done it. But i don't see how thats deserving of how much Hetalia hate is stemming from it.

Unread 12-03-2010, 05:04 PM   #42
Codename Otacon
BONK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelai View Post
PS: I finally found the picture online that started this whole thread.

http://pics.livejournal.com/charge_0/pic/0000b2g7

Where... i really expected it to be worse. Its not even that bad >_>;; I mean, its hella stupid and they shouldn't have done it. But i don't see how thats deserving of how much Hetalia hate is stemming from it.
No comments at all...

QUESTION Who started this drama?

Axelai@ I also thought it would be worse...from the way how they said it.

*Conventions for 2014*
Otakon Vegas
Anime Expo
Anime California

*Cosplay list for 2014*
Unread 12-03-2010, 05:07 PM   #43
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibi Baka Zaru View Post
No comments at all...

QUESTION Who started this drama?

Axelai@ I also thought it would be worse...from the way how they said it.
I wish i knew who started it. I've found the picture on blogs with people complaining that it was how the fandom was, etc, so it was a good reason to hate the show :'| Like the site i found that pic on.

And yeah, seriously. Its really not that bad. Thats one picture, not like, a photoshoot of Germany cosplayers infiltrating a Holocaust museum or something. Its just... ugh. Blown way out of proportion.

Unread 12-03-2010, 08:10 PM   #44
Kaze Saffire
...Rose.

I like the Germany who's giving a thumbs up XD Some of those people even look unhappy >.>

Katsucon 20:

Unread 12-03-2010, 10:28 PM   #45
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Quote:
I like the Germany who's giving a thumbs up XD Some of those people even look unhappy >.>
I find it funny how the non-nazi characters are the ones saluting, and the nazi isn't.