Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Anime Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.67 average.
Unread 01-13-2011, 04:34 AM   #46
rubyspitfire
queen of the closet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaze Saffire View Post
I like the Germany who's giving a thumbs up XD Some of those people even look unhappy >.>
i noticed that too

all i have to say on everything else is just... wow. uneducated people being stupid, and overly sensitive people being... well, overly sensitive. but like every other mildly offensive thing that happens in society, people make the assumption that all members of a certain group act the same as a few who get bad press, and they just won't let it die

cosplay schedule
SoDak Con!!
Jean Havoc - Fullmetal Alchemist and FMA: Brotherhood
Sanji - One Piece
Catwoman - DC Comics/Gotham Girls (fanart version)

Ruby Spitfire, official D20 Girl
Support a single mom ^.^
rubyspitfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-13-2011, 09:46 AM   #47
SourCherryTwist
Wannaflywindy

I personally cant stomach hetalia. as for who and what I am...it makes fun/light of the most brutal wars in human history. not only am I member of the armed forces, and I dont laugh at war, 6 million of my people died then. I visit my grandfather and see the numbers on his wrist...and Im suppose to enjoy watching something that turned it into a joke? no thanks.

AC Tifa, Fairy rikku, Thief Rikku, Lenne
SourCherryTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2011, 02:59 PM   #48
Eau de Decus
Her Second Self

After reading the thread and then seeing the picture that was posted of said incident, I really don't see the problem here. Maybe I just have thick skin, or I just don't care enough to be offended by people raising their hand for a photo. I get the implication; I just don't find it offensive. I don't know, when everyone goes up in arms over someone sporting a 'Hitler mustache", but never, ever when someone sports a "Stalin mustache", I start to think we like to pick and choose what we get offended by these days.

It's just an anime/manga... *facepalm*
Eau de Decus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2011, 06:19 PM   #49
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyspitfire View Post
all i have to say on everything else is just... wow. uneducated people being stupid, and overly sensitive people being... well, overly sensitive. but like every other mildly offensive thing that happens in society, people make the assumption that all members of a certain group act the same as a few who get bad press, and they just won't let it die
While i don't think what they did is RIGHT, i do think everyone is over reacting. All they did was hitler salute for a picture. They didn't... do anything else. I hate how the entire fandom gets backlash for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourCherryTwist View Post
I personally cant stomach hetalia. as for who and what I am...it makes fun/light of the most brutal wars in human history. not only am I member of the armed forces, and I dont laugh at war, 6 million of my people died then. I visit my grandfather and see the numbers on his wrist...and Im suppose to enjoy watching something that turned it into a joke? no thanks.
Then you haven't seen Hetalia to think thats what the show is. The writer purposely avoids touchy topics like the Holocaust and other things, saying "Theres nothing funny about that situation". He mostly turns other situations into jokes, such as France's poverty ending in him trying to marry England.

Just know, he 100% avoids the subject of Nazi-ism and the Holocaust. Only references is Germany remarking that he hates his "boss" ie. Hitler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eau de Decus View Post
After reading the thread and then seeing the picture that was posted of said incident, I really don't see the problem here. Maybe I just have thick skin, or I just don't care enough to be offended by people raising their hand for a photo. I get the implication; I just don't find it offensive. I don't know, when everyone goes up in arms over someone sporting a 'Hitler mustache", but never, ever when someone sports a "Stalin mustache", I start to think we like to pick and choose what we get offended by these days.

It's just an anime/manga... *facepalm*
QFT.

Everyone should hate me. I do the infamous "difference between Hitler and a gay man" joke a lot. Which makes me have to salute sometimes :'|

~Cure deviantART Tumblr Fan Page~

Vote for me at the Otaku House costume contest!!
Axelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2011, 03:21 PM   #50
Purfect*Rave
Bitchie~★♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaze Saffire View Post
I like the Germany who's giving a thumbs up XD Some of those people even look unhappy >.>
That's it? o.o Seriously, I thought it would be 10x worse. People will overreact. >_>
But I do dislike the picture, because everyone whose faces we can see look unhappy except for the Germany giving a thumbs up. If they didn't feel comfortable with it, they shouldn't be in the shot...
Fanfiction.net~

List of 'Considerings': Minato from Persona 3, Near/L/Light from Death Note, Kadaj from FF:AC, Grell from Kuroshitsuji
Ciel Phantomhive - Kuroshitsuji, Dance Party version (100% DONE)
'Veneziano' N. Italy - Hetalia: Axis Powers (0% DONE [Wig ordered])
Alois Trancy - Kuroshitsuji II, Default version (10% DONE)
Conventions - Momocon '11, AAD Spring + Fall, AWA 2011
Purfect*Rave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2011, 11:57 PM   #51
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

I just remembered this fact: Americans used to salute the flag that way. It was changed to the hand over the heart in the early 1940s.

http://history.verdeserve.com/the-of...hitler-salute/

Working on: Lolita!Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - Red Riding Hood!Alois Trancy (Black Butler) -Chinese!Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2011, 01:13 AM   #52
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purfect*Rave View Post
That's it? o.o Seriously, I thought it would be 10x worse. People will overreact. >_>
But I do dislike the picture, because everyone whose faces we can see look unhappy except for the Germany giving a thumbs up. If they didn't feel comfortable with it, they shouldn't be in the shot...
-shrugs- Probably wasn't "planned" and they just did it, opting the other people to get annoyed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana05 View Post
I just remembered this fact: Americans used to salute the flag that way. It was changed to the hand over the heart in the early 1940s.

http://history.verdeserve.com/the-of...hitler-salute/
See, they're just being patriotic! *shot*

Unread 01-20-2011, 02:49 PM   #53
sam vimes
A real live wire

I just straight up dislike Hetalia. Too fanservicey. I will give it points for sexualizing countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 01:33 AM   #54
Shinjachan

Alright, here's my two (read: ten) cents:

One: This was one incident, cosplayers at conventions tend to get caught in the heat of the moment. It's just unfortunate that by cosplaying Hetalia, it's more likely that something you do is going to be offensive to someone. Now, was doing a Hitler salute in Germany cosplay -outside- of the convention center the best option? I'm going to say no. There's definitely better things they could have done. In their defense, they likely were unaware that it was passover, or that there were any landmarks (I've heard there was a synagogue, or a Holocaust museum, it was something) that would've made their decision worse. It was a dumb heat-of-the-moment thing, and people need to cut them slack. They did apologize, it's over, this needs to be water under the bridge and people need to move on.

Two: You can't judge a fandom based on a few stupid cosplayers. "They saluted Hitler in public! God, this is why I hate the Hetalia fandom." No. Actually, it doesn't work like that. You can't hate a fandom just because of one event. You certainly can't judge an entire group of people based on a couple. Are there insane, ignorant, stupid, immature Hetalia cosplayers and fans out there? Absolutely. However, are there intelligent, mature Hetalia fans? I guarantee it. People need to stop hating on an entire fandom just because of a few bad run-ins. Honestly, it's a waste of energy.

Three: And on that note, the wank on Hetalia needs to stop. Honestly, if people don't like it, don't watch it and walk away from anything Hetalia related. There honestly isn't a reason to passionately scream your hatred into the heavens. Hetalia is a parody, and it's based on the relationships between countries throughout history. The characters in Hetalia do not represent their leaders, or the decisions they make. They simply represent stereotypes and country relationships by means of a parody. The entire idea behind Hetalia is clever and creative, and there's no reason to bash the thought and time someone put into it. As stated before, they intentionally didn't touch on the Holocaust or Hitler because that's too serious to be trifled with. The closest they got was having Germany saying that he hates his boss, which I thought was a pretty tasteful way of separating the character from Hitler. But again, it's all about country relations. Italy and Germany are friends because in history, Italy and Germany were allies. America, Uk, and the gang are fighting against Germany and Japan because in history, the Allied Forces fought against the Axis Powers. It does not make Hitler kawaiidesu friendly. It does not make fun of the Holocaust. I agree that the Holocaust was a bit part of WWII, obviously, but if you want something that's 100% historically accurate, pick up a history textbook. Hetalia is not meant to be a textbook, it is meant to be a parody of country relationships throughout history overall. I think the greatest point to be made, however, is if you don't like it, don't watch it and walk the hell away.

People, the fact of the matter is that the Hetalia fandom currently is what Naruto was three or four years ago. All of the younger fans become attached and love the living hell out of it to the point where older fans can barely recognize the series. Since they're younger fans, they're more likely to do stupid things. However, when all is said and done, a few years from now, a new shiny anime will come out, and the younger fans will latch onto that, and anyone who isn't obsessed with it will bitch about it to kingdom come. Everyone just needs to brace themselves and hold on and wait for it to blow over. I'll be surprised if the fandom is this big by next year.
Shinjachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 05:51 AM   #55
Kaze Saffire
...Rose.

It'll still be big. World Series and the movie are both coming out.

Katsucon 20:

Thursday: Hamtaro
Friday - Default Alibaba Salujah
Fog Troupe Alibaba Salujah

Facebook meh XD http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...00003760496949
Kaze Saffire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2011, 01:55 AM   #56
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinjachan View Post
BLOCK OF TEXT
I agree with pretty much everything you said. *thumbs up*

Unread 06-19-2011, 01:27 PM   #57
newcosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyoWolffe View Post
Speaking of Ignorants and Hetalia, it bugs me that these kids, because they are silly kids, carry the national flags with no respect and even put them on the floor like most props. I am sorry, but in most national flag etiquette, doing that is a MAJOR offense to the national flags.
Me and my friends are cosplaying a few countries from Hetalia and I personally don't find it disrespectful if someone puts the flag on the floor if they have to go to the bathroom or something around those lines. I do think it would be disrespectful if the stepped on it or dropped food on it. Just my opinion.
newcosplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2011, 02:09 PM   #58
Anmanda

^ I can understand why someone would put a flag on the floor if they needed to go to the bathroom even though I wouldn't do it myself, I won't think bad of anyone who does that either if they can't find someone to hold it for them. But if I saw someone stepping a flag, even worse, dropping food on it, I would probably not like what I saw at all. I wouldn't run up to the person shouting in their face that they're disgracing the flag, but I would probably try to kind of stay away from them.
A flag IS the symbol of a nation after all, disgracing a flag is the same as disgracing the nation itself, in my opinion, and I'm not the kind of person who bothers to care about all guidelines there are for flags (like, folding the flag in a certain way when not using it, not using flags as decoration etc.) but I DO think that every Hetalia cosplayer out there should care about the basic flag etiquette like not stepping on the flag.
Unread 06-19-2011, 10:30 PM   #59
UNIT0918
Pursue your true self

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anmanda View Post
^ I can understand why someone would put a flag on the floor if they needed to go to the bathroom even though I wouldn't do it myself, I won't think bad of anyone who does that either if they can't find someone to hold it for them.
Wouldn't it be easier to just leave the flag sitting upright in a corner somewhere instead of on the ground? :P
UNIT0918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2011, 06:53 AM   #60
Anmanda

^ It probably would, but the person who posted above me mentioned the floor, and since I replied to his/her post, I told them my opinion on putting a flag on the floor. The best opinion if you can't find anyone to hold it for you would of course be to leave it in the corner, standing upright, but yeah, we were talking flags and floors... XD;