Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga

Unread 04-08-2010, 09:52 PM   #1
Knuxzable
Evagelion 01 Pilot

Evangelion Unit 01

As I am an Evangelion freak, I have decided what I shall make. A Unit 01 suit. I want to make it using harder materials, as I want to get everything right. I'm not going to do like some strange person I found on Google and use cardboard. Although I have no experience with it (>.>) I am going to use acrylics. Just recently, i got thinking. Anti Unit 01. That'd look epic. Tomorrow after I get out of school, if i remember (>.>) I'll write up my plan, then start getting my estimates for material, tools, time, etc. I was hoping to do it for San Japan 2010. But I can't do that much work in two months, considering I do have school, and I'm into modeling as well. My goal is to have a near-seamless Unit 01 by San Japan 2011. Here's a picture that'll help save my life!

Link.
Knuxzable is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-08-2010, 10:25 PM   #2
striker0
Gunpla building expert

Yeah, there is no way that you could have something like that, seamless, done in 2 months, especially if you're the only one working on the project. But San Japan 2011, which is, what, 14 months from now, I could see that done. Just make you have the will and the drive to see it through. And even though you have other priorities on your plate, like school and modeling, even if you can only squeeze 6 hours a week on your cosplay during the school year, You'll probably have it done.
striker0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2010, 10:40 PM   #3
Knuxzable
Evagelion 01 Pilot

Well, I won't be totally alone. I'll have one friend occasionally helping me. Like when making molds and such. And except summer, six hours would be a blessing to have each week. Having all the advanced classes is hell. XD But yea, I'll even make a vibrating prog knife. That's part of Eva. If I have time, the usual gun Eva uses. But the main suit and the prog knife is all I promise myself.
Unread 04-08-2010, 11:03 PM   #4
striker0
Gunpla building expert

Ugh, advance classes is hell. And a vibrating prog knife? Awesome! Though, if you want to do the rifle, best ask the staff first. Most cons that I know of have some limitations on firearm props. Just make sure you know what the guidelines are first, and talk with a member of the staff, and explain what you plan to do.
striker0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2010, 11:06 PM   #5
zenithvsp
Ark Industries

What materials are you planning on using now? I saw something about molding I'm interested to know what your using

-Jarred

Cosplay Project(s) 2012 -- Southern California:
U N D E R - C O N S T R U C T I O N

zenithvsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2010, 07:12 AM   #6
Knuxzable
Evagelion 01 Pilot

@striker0 - Yes. A vibrating prog knife. And as far as the rifle goes, I'm well aware of the limitations of San Japan. I've viewed the website and read over the rules many times, on more than one occasion.
As for the making of it, I'm thinking about making the main part out of foam core and balsa wood. Then I'll put two even coats of resin to help with a smooth feel, then I'll paint it a metal dark-grey. And if you are wondering exactly which gun I am talking about, I mean the pallet gun. (Link)
Quote:
  • NO LIVE STEEL OF ANY TYPE. PERIOD!
  • NO FUNCTIONING AIRSOFT, PELLET, BB, OR WATER GUNS. PERIOD. They must have the orange tip and be presented to my safety desk as non functional and not able to hold water or ammo in any form.
Quote:
  • If Safety decides a Weapon is too dangerous you will be asked to return the item to your room/car. If you take this as a mere suggestion, you will be expelled from the convention without refund.
(San Japan's Rule Page)

@zenithvsp - As I mention above on the making of the gun, I'll be using foam core and balsa wood for that, along with resin and metal-seeming paint. As for the actually Eva, I'm most likely going the acrylics method. I like the way suits made with it appear sturdy, and that's how I'd like mine to be. As for the prog knife, probably the foam core/balsa wood/resin method, as it should be too terribly hard, and they're all available at my local Hobby Town USA. It's a good thing I'm friends with the people there, or they might get tired of me coming for materials every friggin week. XD

Last edited by Knuxzable : 04-09-2010 at 07:14 AM.
Unread 04-09-2010, 07:27 AM   #7
Knuxzable
Evagelion 01 Pilot

Side note. Although I think working with fiberglass and fiberglass mat is an unpleasant experience, I'll do it, if it means a beautiful Eva. I need to practice my kicks...

At San Japan 2012, I'm thinking I want to make a plugsuit... But it's just a thought. I'm not gonna start planning it out, if I don't even have my first to make one done. But one thing I'm going to do, the clock on the wrist that shows how much time Eva's internal battery has, based on it's current state, is going to actually be a watch. That'd be kinda cool.
Torso [0%]
Shoulders [0%]
Right Arm [0%]
Left Arm [0%]
Groin [0%]
Right Leg [0%]
Left Leg [0%]
Prog Knife [0%]
Pallet Gun [0%]
Hand Gun [0%] Note: I may not make a handgun.
Planning [5%}

Last edited by Knuxzable : 04-09-2010 at 07:46 AM.