Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > New York Comic Con

Unread 09-08-2003, 02:45 PM   #1
Nightide

Thumbs down Staffers Complaint

As a Staffer for Big Apple Anime Fest I must say that this was the most disorganized convention I have ever been to. BAAF 2003, was my 12th convention. in 4 years, and I have to say there is a big problem when 50% of the staff does not know where ConOps is and 40% has no clue WHAT con ops is.
I was one of the Cosplay judges for the convention. We were told to meet in the main ballroom at 10:00 to start judging costumes. Mind you; we were given no guidelines to follow in which to make our judgings; half of the people we not in cosutme (although some with good excuses and reasons for which they were forgiven); And no real order as to which people were going up in. We were told the was 68 people registered for Cosplay, however on 30 had registered. We were unable to receive a list of the entrants who had checked in as there was no real list to print off. We called a halt to the 'pre-judging' and decided to resume at 2:30 PM.
A little before 4:00 PM we were all yelled at and ordered to vacate the Main Ballroom as someone decided that they wanted a showing of the Animatrix to occurr. We were rudely told to leave even though we were asked to be there, and other staffers were ordered to get enough people to fill the hall, to make give the appearance of having a full house. We spent the next 1.5 hours working out the actuall guidelines for which the cospaly would be judged.
Sunday was a disaster. We ran out of time to judge people on the craftsmenship of their costumes effectively. Apparently there was registration for the cosplay still going on THAT NIGHT! We sat in the room while people still showed up the get registered. I'm sorry but that was the most moronic idea that I had EVER heard of. The logistics of trying to arrange a cospaly are hard I do understand. However is much easier when EVERYONE is registered and signed in the morning of or the day before! Doing it the hour before the show is sheer idiocy!
All in all I do have to say using my best judgements, the best people did win. I loved the exquisit work that the Mana group put into her costumes. For those of you who didn't get a clos up look, she fully lined the jacket hat, everything. I was quite impressed. And the Legend of Mana group was by far my favorite. To understand how much detail went into their costumes would take up the 15 page book that they gave us for reference.
BTW if the little kid who made his own Naruto costume and sang "Fly Me to the Moon" reads this. Please do know that we wanted to give you a judges choice award but were not informed that we were giving one out till after all the votes had been tallied. I do hope that you read this and consider yourself amongst the winners. You did a fantastic job and I applaud you.

Nightide
Nightide is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-08-2003, 08:29 PM   #2
Dokudel
Doky Doky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightide
As a Staffer for Big Apple Anime Fest I must say that this was the most disorganized convention I have ever been to. BAAF 2003, was my 12th convention. in 4 years, and I have to say there is a big problem when 50% of the staff does not know where ConOps is and 40% has no clue WHAT con ops is.
I was one of the Cosplay judges for the convention. We were told to meet in the main ballroom at 10:00 to start judging costumes. Mind you; we were given no guidelines to follow in which to make our judgings; half of the people we not in cosutme (although some with good excuses and reasons for which they were forgiven); And no real order as to which people were going up in. We were told the was 68 people registered for Cosplay, however on 30 had registered. We were unable to receive a list of the entrants who had checked in as there was no real list to print off. We called a halt to the 'pre-judging' and decided to resume at 2:30 PM.
A little before 4:00 PM we were all yelled at and ordered to vacate the Main Ballroom as someone decided that they wanted a showing of the Animatrix to occurr. We were rudely told to leave even though we were asked to be there, and other staffers were ordered to get enough people to fill the hall, to make give the appearance of having a full house. We spent the next 1.5 hours working out the actuall guidelines for which the cospaly would be judged.
Sunday was a disaster. We ran out of time to judge people on the craftsmenship of their costumes effectively. Apparently there was registration for the cosplay still going on THAT NIGHT! We sat in the room while people still showed up the get registered. I'm sorry but that was the most moronic idea that I had EVER heard of. The logistics of trying to arrange a cospaly are hard I do understand. However is much easier when EVERYONE is registered and signed in the morning of or the day before! Doing it the hour before the show is sheer idiocy!
All in all I do have to say using my best judgements, the best people did win. I loved the exquisit work that the Mana group put into her costumes. For those of you who didn't get a clos up look, she fully lined the jacket hat, everything. I was quite impressed. And the Legend of Mana group was by far my favorite. To understand how much detail went into their costumes would take up the 15 page book that they gave us for reference.
BTW if the little kid who made his own Naruto costume and sang "Fly Me to the Moon" reads this. Please do know that we wanted to give you a judges choice award but were not informed that we were giving one out till after all the votes had been tallied. I do hope that you read this and consider yourself amongst the winners. You did a fantastic job and I applaud you.

Nightide

I agree with you 100 percent Nightide.I was also a staffer and it was terrible on my part but your position was more important than mine.My job was to stuff bags for like over 5 hours and then they want us to wait in a room for over an 1 haven't seen any of the con yet and tell us to go to a floor and watch the escalaters.While people asking us where to go.We wish we knew where to go also.But no one knew where to go! I understand you part was more...evil but it was hard on me and maybe some of the other staffers too...
Dokudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2003, 11:36 AM   #3
sailor-moon
Resident Moon Princess

why did you quote that when it was right above your post..::giggle-fit:: evil staffers XD lololol j/k >:3
Unread 09-09-2003, 11:55 AM   #4
Vialoi Ketsueke
The vexatious one.

I have to add that Sunday was the biggest waste of money on my part. I arrived at 1pm, and they made me pay 20$ For the rest of that sunday! It's not like I could stay past 10 with something to do other than talk to people. Also, there where no events going on, only the mascarade, and a few video room showings. And after waiting in line for the dealers room for 20 minutes, and getting cut in line by a huge family..Causing me to wait longer than needed. I found the dealers room to be very disapointing. Not only did they basically just sell DVD's, but some of the dealers didn't even accept ATM or credit cards.

..Maybe I'm in the wrong thread for this..But, I do are 100% with Nightide. BAAF was very unorganized. If BAAF wasn't so convenient for me to go to, I would not go next year.
Vialoi Ketsueke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2003, 01:49 PM   #5
KaineMaxwell
Don't mess with mutants

I hope the staffers there file their complaints to BAAF too and before next years plans are made, everyone sits down to discuss organization.

Shinigami Photos
KaineMaxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2003, 05:54 PM   #6
The Lord XL
Super Happy Photographer

In the words of comic book guy from simpsons. "Worst Anime Fest Ever!"

The only thing that was orginized was the premire of Inital D!. I was so angry at the staff. They dident know What the hell Hall Cosplay was!!!! I ask the BAAF with all due respect, Accept all photo entrys that were taken in front of a BAAF sign. BTW dose anyone know if i can send in a picture not taken on the dealers room.
====
RIP - JDM - CB
The Lord XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2003, 12:20 PM   #7
BondagePenguin
Ich sehe was, das siehst

Alright, yeah I'd love to sit down and talk to BAAF myself, especially after my game room got the thick shaft from behind each day and everything that could have went wrong did go wrong with my panel (Which consisted of me and CHris because security turned away the other panelists) But BAAF being sooo cool has pretty much ditched everyone that except the real Boss Bosses, so no, we can't talk to them, they don't want to have most of us back.....S.O.B.'s....they can rot....friggin bollocks
BondagePenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2003, 09:04 PM   #8
KaineMaxwell
Don't mess with mutants

They should talk to the fans first to see how they'd like a con organized, then take their suggestions with their own and that of the hotel staff next year. or any con in general. Cons are for the fans so they should be what and how the fans mostly like them.

Shinigami Photos
Unread 09-11-2003, 10:02 PM   #9
hikura
Flyboy

You know what.You would be amazed by getting ideas from the people who attend your cons.They know and can help your con grow and become better.They come to your con and see what is happening.People also should realize they should get involved in helping the con also.Overall,like i have said in some other posts,unless BAAF grows and adapts this con will either die or never be the same.This includes sitting all your staff down at meetings to make sure all the info is clarifed for them.Make sure they know where all the important things are and being held.Try to keep everyone updated.Yes,there will be mistakes and errors but if you do some simple steps there will be few and far between.I know cons can be big but things can be avoided by communication.Now a days you can communicate qucikly and easily.Look into having a company help out by maybe providing communication material if not for rent for a relatively inexpensive price.This helps.
Unread 09-13-2003, 10:09 PM   #10
KaineMaxwell
Don't mess with mutants

That's how all cons should be- for and by the fans.

Shinigami Photos