Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Pokemon

Unread 04-10-2010, 04:49 PM   #1
Geek Fairy

Leafeon tail - Halp!

Okay, so I'm having some serious issues making a tail for my Leafeon gijinka. Here's a ref:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...dp-leafeon.png

I'd like the tail to stand up a bit like in the pic, and maybe even curve a bit, so... naturally, the first thought was wire. I tried a fabric base with wire, but that was an EPIC fail - the fabric is all wrinkled, and won't stand up. It just sort of... flops over, and can't support itself.

My next option is craft foam with wire in the middle. It's a bit thicker, so it should support itself a bit better. Do you think that would work?

I'm also not sure how to attach the tail to the back of my costume yet... the zipper goes all the way down past where I'd like the tail to sit, so I can't exactly sew it onto the dress, nor can I really bring it through from under it. (That probably didn't make any sense. XD) Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Geek Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-11-2010, 07:09 PM   #2
Zil

I think craft foam is a great idea, especially because you can paint it to get that nice color gradient I've never tried to attach a tail to the back of a costume, but if the zipper is right in the middle of where you want the tail to be you might end up with a slightly to-the-side tail...
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2010, 06:05 AM   #3
mouseomo

For the tail attachment... If you're willing to cut the dress, you could cut a hole where the tail should be.

But for this, you'd need to completely re-do the zip. You'd have to unpick the seams holding in the zip, then replace with two, one that ends above the tails place, and one that starts below..

Hope that didn't confuse you >_<
Just ask if you want more detail ^^;
Unread 08-26-2010, 12:05 PM   #4
Dust Bunny
A Fluffy Bunnykin

You can try to attach the tail using Velcro and straddle the zipper. Like put some velcro on both sides of the zipper and Velcro on the entire base of the tail and after you zip up you can stick the tail on. Having a removable tail could make sitting in the costume and cleaning the costume easier. Since the base of the tail is rather thin, and the weight of the wire may cause the tail to droop I think a better option would be to run 2 Wires down the middle of the tail and leave 4 inches or so extra and bend them downward.
Then sew two tracks in the dress on either side of the tail to slip the extra wire into. This will allow the tail to be removable, you will not have to re-make your dress, and the wires should offer some resistance to gravity to keep the tail up.

I drew a picture to help explain what I mean, because I suck at that a lot of the time.

Good Luck
Attached Images
File Type: gif leafeontail.GIF (12.8 KB, 0 views)
Unread 08-26-2010, 09:48 PM   #5
ChilmarkGryphon
wings! armor! madness!

Dust Bunny's idea with the two prongs sounds good, but I think having the weight of the tail on the dress fabric would make it hang badly. Instead, I'd do something like button-holes for the wire to go through, on either side of the zipper, and then wear a band of wide elastic around your waist (under the dress) that the prongs can slip under.
You might also get better support with four prongs instead of two, and with two elastic belts, so the point of attachment would look more like an X or an H than an upside-down U. That way you have wire pulling against gravity instead of just pushing against it.

Current Project: Medicine Seller v2 | Upcoming Cons: Brooklyn Sakura Matsuri, Otakon 2014 | Find me on Twitter, DeviantART, or Facebook
ChilmarkGryphon is offline   Reply With Quote